• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Day Of The Animals: Tales Of Man Vs Beast (And Man Suffers)

Snow in the town of Troy, New Hampshire, was so deep that residents were finally able to capture a black labrador retriever which had been on the run for three years. The female was spotted regularly, but nobody could get close enough to catch her. But hampered by the deep snow, the dog could not get away.

http://tinyurl.com/pnn2v68

Bet she was called Helen.

One of my friends has to take a plastic garden rake with her when she goes to the letterbox because there are 4 Indian mynahs which live in a tree a few houses away which divebomb her and have drawn blood.
It's not even nesting season and she says people walking past are now wearing hats.

Two alcoholic Russian bears who were kept in appalling conditions for more than 20 years could soon be enjoying a new life in Romania.

In February, a court ruled that the male bears must be confiscated from their owner, who kept them in a small, rubbish-strewn cage at a restaurant in the Black Sea city of Sochi. The animals - one of which is blind - became addicted to alcohol after visitors continually gave them drinks, the Tass news agency reports. While the removal order comes into effect in March, they're currently still living with the owner, and need travel paperwork to be issued by the Sochi authorities. "The court order is there to take them away but there is nowhere to put them in Sochi," says Anna Kogan, head of the Big Hearts Foundation, which is coordinating the move with support from other animal charities. A bear sanctuary in Romania has now offered to re-home the bears and provide them with treatment for their alcohol problems. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-31622170

Here's a good story from yesterday's news,

25 February 2015 Last updated at 22:09 GMT

''The girl who gets gifts from birds''
By Katy Sewall Seattle

Lots of people love the birds in their garden, but it's rare for that affection to be reciprocated. One young girl in Seattle is luckier than most. She feeds the crows in her garden - and they bring her gifts in return.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31604026

Urgent llama news out of Arizona, apparently: Two animals, believed to be llamas, went on the run — on the lam, if you will (and we will) — this afternoon. I REPEAT: There was what appeared to be a llama chase in Sun City, Ariz.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...as-are-on-the-run/?postshare=1101424984191778 ...and various other places around the internet. A couple of llamas, one black, the other white, on the run from authorities. They have since been captured.

Birds seem to have memories of those who either feed or don't harm them. When my oldest was a baby I used to put out bread for the birds and one day, while I was hanging out the washing, with her in a bouncinette, she started to cry.
I finished hanging up a sheet and turned to her to see a thrush trying to feed her a worm.
Later when she was schoolaged she brought home a nest of baby thrushes that had fallen from a tree and whose parents were dead.
We fed them till they were old enough to fly away and for years after they would nest in our garden and land on her arm when she was using the hose.

Hampshire fire dog sisters retire after 18 years service
_81395811_81395810.jpg

Two Hampshire fire investigation dogs have retired after helping secure convictions against "dozens" of criminals.
Saxon, 11, and her sister Inca, ten, have worked with Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service for a total of 18 years.
The two Labradors have attended more than 500 incidents and helped convict criminals.
Graham Howlett, the dogs' handler, said: "It's a pleasure to work with such talented lovely-natured dogs.
"I'm so proud of what they have achieved.
Graham Howlett said Saxon (pictured) and her sister were "talented lovely-natured dogs"
"We have done jobs where the evidence they have found has been instrumental in getting a conviction."

In 2010, both dogs identified an ignitable fluid at a house fire, showing that petrol had been poured through the letterbox.
The man responsible was jailed for endangering life.
Fire investigation dogs are trained to work out how fires started by using their sense of smell to hunt for traces of the flammable liquids used to start fires.

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-31733380

It brought the internet to a standstill and now the remarkable picture of a woodpecker-riding weasel appears to have its very own commemorative sign.

Images have surfaced on Twitter showing a sign in Hornchurch Country Park, Havering - the location where the remarkable shot was taken by amateur photographer Martin Le-May.

The wording reads: "Home of the woodpecker-riding weasel", with a silhouetted illustration of the two creatures in flight.

The tribute is the brainchild of Hornchurch resident Stephen Cross, 30, and his colleagues Simon Connor, Sam Walker and Joe De Souza at Karmarama advertising agency. ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...Park-commemorating-woodpecker-and-weasel.html

We've had reintroduction of Red Kites & some escaped beavers. How about Lynx? You can vote here if you have a view. Personally I'm in favour.

Graham Howlett said Saxon (pictured) and her sister

So is the sister also pictured or is that another fire investigation dog who ran in for a photobomb?

We've had reintroduction of Red Kites & some escaped beavers. How about Lynx? You can vote here if you have a view. Personally I'm in favour.
Yeah, wolves and bears too. Great idea. It might help to thin out the human population. :)

Yeah, wolves and bears too. Great idea. It might help to thin out the human population. :)

I've always wished that bears would be reintroduced to the wild in the U.K. & Ireland. Would be wonderful. Maybe they could experiment with small scale geographically contained reintroduction on small Scottish islands first, would give the local economy a boost with the potential tourism increase too.

I've always wished that bears would be reintroduced to the wild in the U.K. & Ireland. Would be wonderful. Maybe they could experiment with small scale geographically contained reintroduction on small Scottish islands first, would give the local economy a boost with the potential tourism increase too.
A bear is a big animal - a small island might not supply enough food, or be big enough for a breeding population.

A bear is a big animal - a small island might not supply enough food, or be big enough for a breeding population.
There are over 60 million humans here. Plenty of food.

Back