• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Day Of The Animals: Tales Of Man Vs Beast (And Man Suffers)

So much for Fortean frog falls ... In northern California they're starting to have bear falls capable of destroying police vehicles. :nails:
Bear falls on Northern California patrol car

They probably don’t train people for this at the Sheriff’s Academy.

A patrol car was struck by a falling bear in Northern California last weekend.

Authorities say a Humboldt County sheriff’s deputy was driving on State Route 96 on Aug. 3, answering a report of a drug overdose in the community of Orleans, when the bear fell or jumped onto the car, apparently from a steep embankment.

The bear smashed the hood and windshield. The patrol car hit an embankment, rolled onto its side and burst into flames.

The deputy managed to escape without serious injury.

The fire was contained to about half an acre but the car was gutted.

However, the California Department of Transportation stated: “Don’t worry, the bear also fled the scene.”

SOURCE: https://www.apnews.com/8896046009b64a4cae3181b6c19b7614

Thank you. I was just hoping for a photo of the octopus but there was a live reporter and everything. :D They must not get a lot of news there.

She should come here (Australia) and try it with one of our Blue Ringed Octopus. We may then have a new candidate for the Darwin Awards, though if she continues with such stunts, she may be a contender anyway.

A bear made that car "burst into flames"?! Like in a 1970s US TV series?

Spanish town tries wolf urine to keep wild boar away

It's an experiment as they're becoming a nuisance. They're not sure if it's going to work & if so they'll probably have to keep re-spraying regularly.

At least 10 boars have been sighted in Aiguafreda recently. “There’s not much food in the woods because it hasn’t rained, so they come into town looking for food,” Albert Alexandre Temprado, a local hunter, told El País.

While boar numbers in the countryside can be controlled by hunters, this isn’t a viable option in populated areas. Earlier this year the town tried using polyurethane to deter them, but the effect wore off within a few days.

The council has created a perimeter of powdered wolf urine around the town, a method it insists is environmentally friendly and has no effect on domestic dogs. Temprado admitted that it remained to be seen whether it was effective.
In Barcelona

In recent years, groups of the animals have regularly been sighted in Barcelona, especially in neighbourhoods close to their natural habitat in the wooded Collserola hills to the west of the city. They have also been spotted close to the city centre.

In 2017 the city launched an experimental campaign of sterilisation using a vaccine. The technique has already been used in Britain and the United States. Early reports suggested that the vaccine had reduced the local Barcelona population by around 400.

When i was living in Sweden (circa 30 years ago) they began experimenting with spraying wolf urine (or some wolf-piss compound) along the highways to deter moose. As I recall, it seemed to work quite well and it was a lot cheaper than erecting who-knows-how-many miles of barrier fencing.

Using a predator to scare a lesser pest has been used on a more modest scale in a shopping centre I frequent. Pigeons were the menace and notices did not seem to deter some folk from feeding them.

Kites in the form of birds-of-prey were to be seen flapping around for a few months, tethered to the supermarket roof. It was a bit of local colour but the pigeons were not fooled for long.

Now they get piped bird-cries from loudspeakers on the roof. These may work better, as the pigeons have been less in evidence. :party:

I wonder if it eats twice as much?

Woman reels in weird fish with two mouths
The bizarre fish, which is believed to be a trout, has what looks like two separate mouths.

"When it bit, it felt like I had a nice fish on," said Geddes. "I actually commented, 'I hope it's as big as it feels'. When we got it in the boat I couldn't believe what I was seeing! Two mouths! And yet this fish was healthy and thriving! Pretty amazing! We quickly took a few pictures and released the fish."
https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/329910/woman-reels-in-weird-fish-with-two-mouths

Sounds like a lucky escape...

Boy bitten on the head by mountain lion outside his home

A boy has been bitten on the head by a mountain lion in Colorado - the third such attack in the state this year.

The eight-year-old had been playing on a trampoline with his brother outside their home in the town of Bailey, 35 miles southwest of Denver, on Wednesday evening.

A friend had called his name from a house nearby - and when the boy ran over the mountain lion pounced, Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) investigators said.

When the boy's father came outside, the mountain lion was on top of the child, but it ran away when it saw the man approaching.

Rebecca Ferrell, a spokeswoman for CPW, said the man had been "quite heroic" and had done "everything we would ask somebody to do".

She added: "His efforts almost certainly saved his son's life."

The mountain lion had probably thought the playing children were prey, she said, with the attack instinct triggered by the boy running to his friend's home.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/worl...n-outside-his-home/ar-AAGdtEv?ocid=spartandhp

Mexicans Hail 'Hero Dogs'

Santiago Arau took photos of the dogs wearing the goggles which are used to protect their eyes from dust and chemicals when they are deployed to search for people buried in the rubble.

1567110433419.png

The dogs played a key role in the search for people missing after the earthquake which rocked central Mexico in September 2017.

One dog in particular stole the hearts of Mexicans following the tragedy: Frida, the golden labrador.

She and her handler, Israel Arauz Salinas, became stars after the earthquake and made the rounds on TV shows where Mr Arauz explained how he would lift her in and out of the rubble by her harness and why the sensitive pads on her paws needed to be protected with specially made neoprene booties.
1567110435135.png

According to navy officials, Frida has located more than 50 people in her career - and 12 have been pulled out alive thanks to her efforts.

Her image has been spray-painted onto walls and the people of Puebla even erected a bronze statue of her and her handler.

1567110435428.png

Messed it up completely!

bad news.

A mysterious disease has struck down about 200 dogs and killed at least 25 in Norway, leading to the cancellation of all dog shows in the country. Owners have been told to keep pets on a lead and avoid contact with other dogs.

The Norwegian Food Safety Authority said that most of the cases had been reported in the capital, Oslo, although there had been cases in 14 of Norway’s 18 counties.

Of the 200 dogs affected recently ten became ill over the weekend and four of those have died. The symptoms are bloody diarrhoea and vomiting and a rapid deterioration in general condition. The authority said it was unusual that so many healthy dogs had been affected in such a short time.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...n-norway-leaves-dozens-of-dogs-dead-l5wgpfs3m

Pigeon poops on head of lawmaker discussing pigeon poop problem
CHICAGO – A pigeon apparently didn’t think much of a lawmaker’s ideas to address a messy situation at a Chicago Transit Authority stop known by some as “pigeon poop station.”

WBBM-TV reported that one of the birds did its business on the head of Democratic state Rep. Jaime Andrade as he discussed the problem with a reporter outside the Irving Park Blue Line station.

During the interview, Andrade rubbed the top of his head and said, “I think they just got me.”
67363397-2be8-407d-9537-dcaa447dd534-Pigeon.png

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/...ndrade-while-he-discusses-problem/2342234001/

Back