• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Day Of The Animals: Tales Of Man Vs Beast (And Man Suffers)

I've heard of cocaine turning people into bores, but never boars turning to cocaine.

A guard cat.

A lion which was reportedly being used to guard a house in Lagos, Nigeria, has been removed by authorities.

The two-year-old lion was reportedly discovered at a property opposite a school by a task force team on Friday.

It was tranquilised on Monday and transferred to Bogije Omu zoo in Lekki, head of the task force team Yinka Egbeyemi told the BBC.

The owner of the animal has been told to report himself to police before the end of Monday or face arrest.

A team from the Lagos State Environmental Sanitation and Special Offences Unit located the animal after residents filed a petition to the state's ministry of environment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-50465081

Still just a woof estimate though.

Here’s a better way to convert dog years to human years, scientists say
By Virginia MorellNov. 15, 2019 , 3:42 PM

Our Scotch collie, Buckaroo, is just shy of 14 years old. Following the long-debunked but still popular idea that one dog year equals seven human years, he’s almost a centenarian. (This “formula” may be based on average life spans of 10 and 70 years for dogs and people, respectively.) Now, researchers say they have a new formula (see calculator below) to convert dog years to human years—one with some actual science behind it.

The work is based on a relatively new concept in aging research: that chemical modifications to a person’s DNA over a lifetime create what is known as an epigenetic clock. Scientists have built a case that one such modification, the addition of methyl groups to specific DNA sequences, tracks human biological age—that is, the toll that disease, poor lifestyle, and genetics take on our bodies. As a result, some groups have converted a person’s DNA methylation status to an age estimate—or even a prediction of life expectancy (worrying ethicists, who say the data could be misused by forensic investigators and insurance companies).

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/11/here-s-better-way-convert-dog-years-human-years-scientists-say

Dog takes a ride (though only in a tight circle) when the driver exits the car ...
Florida dog knocks car into reverse, drives in circles for an hour

Residents of a Florida neighborhood said a car that drove in circles in reverse for about an hour only had a single occupant -- a dog.

Police said the driver of the car in Port St. Lucie had gotten out and left the vehicle running, and the dog then apparently knocked the vehicle into reverse.

Neighbors said the car was moving for about an hour before police were able to stop it.

"First I thought I saw somebody backing up but then they kept going and I'm like OK what are they doing," Sabol told WPBF-TV. "The cops came and I'm like OK."

Police were able to enter a code to open a door, stop the car and rescue the dog.

Sabol said the car hit a mailbox, some garbage cans and some bricks in front of a home while the canine was behind the wheel.

"He was doing pretty good until he hit the mailbox. He went around for about an hour without hitting anything at all," Sabol told WPTV.
SOURCE (With Video of Scene & Owner Interview):
https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/1...es-in-circles-for-an-hour/2331574437777/?sl=3

Thousands of 'penis fish' washed ashore on a Californian beach

apenisfish.png

https://www.unilad.co.uk/news/thous...KR2P2CUMk7hdixO5m3NUmav8lxsEPbW-QeH7wafL9bWZA

Thousands of 'penis fish' washed ashore on a Californian beach
That's the annual running of the dicks.
Happens only on the lower west coast.
It's a by-product of global warming. Or as it's known here, Male Dominance Hierarchy Disorder.
MDHD for short ... er I mean centimetrically-challenged.

I don't suppose they snuggle up together. This is where we find the wolverine is the apex predator of the lot & mercilessly kills off the bears, wolves & lynx, escapes into the countryside & starts causing havoc.

Thanks for the cocaine bear story. That's a good one.

Maybe introduce Wolverines to Cromer as a pilot programme?

Meanwhile island wolves fare better than mainland ones - on islands.

Island life isn’t for everyone, nor, it seems, for every wolf.

One year into a federal effort to restock the wolf population in Isle Royale National Park in Michigan’s Lake Superior, a pack of eight relocated from a nearby island appears to be thriving, while four of 11 wolves brought from the mainland have died. Another wolf voluntarily departed last winter, returning to Minnesota over an ice bridge.

The U.S. National Park Service (NPS) today released news of the most recent wolf deaths, and the emerging pattern is clear: Wolves relocated as a pack from Canada’s Michipicoten Island Provincial Park have so far been more successful on Isle Royale than wolves brought individually from either mainland Minnesota, Michigan, or Canada’s Ontario province. The Michipicoten wolves’ provenance as a bonded group was likely crucial to the fact they have all survived so far in the new environment, says wildlife ecologist Rolf Peterson from Michigan Technological University in Houghton, who has studied Isle Royale wolves since 1971. “That’s about the only explanation I can think of,” to account for the difference in the wolves’ fates.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/12/relocated-island-wolves-outlasting-mainland-wolves-new-isle-royale-home

Reactions: Jim
I guess this fits here seeing as the wolf took a pet.

A wolf has reportedly taken a privately owned kangaroo from a family's garden in Balen, north-east Belgium.

Jan Loos, a wolf expert, was called to the property by the owners and said he had found wolf prints at the scene. Mr Loos told AFP the kangaroo is "probably dead" having been eaten by the animal. He said a second kangaroo had also been wounded in the attack.

Wild wolves used to live in much of continental Europe, but their numbers have been depleted by hunting. In recent years, sightings of the animals have been on the increase and in 2018 one was recorded in Belgium for the first time in more than 100 years.

Mr Loos, the director of a wolf and wildlife centre called Landschap, said he believed an animal named August could be behind the animal's disappearance.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50912766

Some neck.

An “angry” British tortoise managed to set his house on fire on Christmas Day — and didn’t look thrilled when firefighters extinguished the blaze and saved his shell, according to officials.

The 45-year-old reptile was home alone in Essex on Wednesday afternoon when he knocked over a heat lamp, setting his bedding alight, the Essex County Fire & Rescue Service said.

A neighbor heard a smoke alarm and alerted authorities — and firefighters responded to find one room in the house ablaze and the rest of the property filled with smoke, officials said.

Crews managed to extinguish the fire and found the surly, soot-covered tortoise inside.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/26/angry-tortoise-sets-house-on-fire-on-christmas-day/

Three mountain lions were executed a few miles from the University of Arizona campus in Tucson on Tuesday morning, New Years Eve. The feline trio were found to be feeding on the remains of an identified human, probably a hiker on the popular Pima Canyon trail, although authorities say there is no evidence to show that the person was actually killed by the cats.

http://nailheadtom.blogspot.com/2020/01/arizona-mountain-lions-given-death.html

Leaving the remains of any mammal lying around is likely to attract almost any carnivore. If not the mountain lions, skunks, weasels, crows and vultures would, and in fact, probably did, gather a snack two from mr. or mrs. dead human. Nobody is looking for crows with human flesh on their breath, however. Nobody is worried about being killed by a crow.

A squirrel managed to wreck this family's home while they were gone on holiday vacation, and their insurance company won't cover the damage because damage from "vermin or rodents" is specifically excluded in their contract.

If you think it's much ado about nothing, check the video. That squirrel really went ape-shit trying to get out of the house.
Squirrel ransacks home of vacationing family

A Georgia family said they returned home after a holiday vacation to find their home has been ransacked by a squirrel, and their insurance wouldn't cover the damage.

Kari Drees said she and her family received an alert while out of town that their alarm had been triggered, so they had a friend check on their home in Buckhead.

"We had a friend come check it out, and our doors and windows were intact so we just thought it was a software issue" ...

The family arrived home to find thousands of dollars worth of damage had been done to the inside of the house.

"We saw wood chippings from the door all over the floor, and as we further inspected it, all the windows had been damaged," she said.

Drees said they searched the home and discovered the culprit -- a squirrel nesting in their couch. She said the animal apparently came down through the chimney and couldn't find a way back out. ...

A Mercury Insurance adjuster was sent to the home, but he told Drees the company does not cover damage from rodents or vermin. ...

"Unfortunately, damage done to a property by birds, vermin, rodents and insects is not covered. This is explicitly stated in the contract and all insurance companies we know of have similar exclusions," the company said.

"That said, Mercury Insurance is sensitive to the situation and has offered to pay for safe housing (up to two weeks) while their home is professionally cleaned," the statement said. ...

FULL STORY (With Video): https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2020/01/07/Squirrel-ransacks-home-of-vacationing-family/4551578418399/

“‘Like my cat, I often simply do what I want to do.’

This was the opening sentence of Derek Parfit’s philosophical masterpiece, Reasons and Persons… However, there was a problem.
Derek did not, in fact, own a cat. Nor did he wish to become a cat owner, as he would rather spend his time taking photographs and doing philosophy.

On the other hand, the sentence would clearly be better if it was true. To resolve this problem Derek drew up a legal agreement with his sister, who did own a cat, to the effect that he would take legal possession of the cat while she would continue living with it.”

From here: https://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2020/01/the-culture-that-was-parfit.html
Some of the comments are fun too. like:
Instead of drafting a legal agreement with his sister, why not simply begin the first sentence by saying, "Like my sister's cat"?

I didn't know about Derek Parfit but he studied the Star Trek teleporter problem and personal identity:
https://www3.nd.edu/~jspeaks/course...rsonal-identity-teletransport-split-brain.pdf

Bloodthirsty Squirrel Leaves 2 Hospitalized, Neighbors Hiding Out During Daytime

An unruly squirrel is defying Disney stereotypes by terrorizing one Houston neighborhood, according to KPRC-TV.

Squirrel-Crazy.jpg

This is not a photo of the actual squirrel terrorizing an entire neighborhood in Houston. (credit: Getty Images)

“We usually don’t go outside in the daytime because he comes out in the daytime,” Sharlene French-Amezquita told the TV station.

The feral animal who’s anything but friendly has even attacked two people, leaving them bloodied, bruised and in need of stitches.

“When I stepped outside the door he leaped on me and bit my arm, I pulled him off [ :rolleyes: ], threw him to the ground, and tried to get in the house,” said French-Amezquita. “I couldn’t get in the house because he came back, he bit this leg.”

She has the stitches and bite marks to prove it. The squirrel also attacked Katie Herrera who lives in the Bridgeland Shores neighborhood.

“It’s scary,” Herrera said. “I’m just very grateful that it actually attacked me and not my children.”

Residents have contacted both animal control and Texas Parks & Wildlife. They were told until someone traps the squirrel, they can’t move it.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/01/16...italized-neighbors-hiding-out-during-daytime/

maximus otter

Last edited:
This will cause apoplexy in some.

Bears and wolves to coexist in UK woods for first time in 1,000 years

Not only bears & wolves, but lynxes & wolverines.

European brown bears, thought to have become extinct in the British wilds in medieval times, and grey wolves – which roamed free until the 17th century – are to coexist in a project called Bear Wood near Bristol.

Wolves are doing the rewilding themselves in France.

Agrey wolf has been sighted near the border between Charente and Dordogne in southwestern France - the first seen in the area for almost a century as the once-extinct predator continues to spread around the country.

The beast was spotted and filmed by a local woman, Marine Varraniac-François, 28, on Monday morning as she was driving home after dropping off her son with his childminder in the village of Gurat. The sighting was later confirmed by France's biodiversity office l'Office français de la biodiversité, OFB, and is the first confirmed wolf presence in Charente since 1926.

"He passed within two or three metres of the car," she told Le Parisien.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-frances-charente-dordogne-first-time-almost/

unmiss-sound-button-muted-e74d67a0c85c3548f07d7564782a269c.svg

"At first I thought it was a big dog, but it looked a lot like a wolf. He was scared, you could tell he was scared,” she said, adding that it was “very exciting” to have wolves so close to home.

Sad, at least it was only days so he wasn't totally devoured.

Three starving dogs were found eating their owner after he died of natural causes, police said.

Authorities were called to the 67-year-old man’s house in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania after a family member checked in on the man, who had not been heard from in days, and saw his body partially eaten. The man, who has not been identified, reportedly had three large dogs who were in the process of mauling his body when he was found. His sister, Renee Melvin, said: ‘When I came around knocking on the door, the dogs came to the window, I didn’t know he had three dogs.’

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/23/starving-dogs-ate-owner-died-natural-causes-12112120/

Sad, at least it was only days so he wasn't totally devoured.

Three starving dogs were found eating their owner after he died of natural causes, police said.

Authorities were called to the 67-year-old man’s house in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania after a family member checked in on the man, who had not been heard from in days, and saw his body partially eaten. The man, who has not been identified, reportedly had three large dogs who were in the process of mauling his body when he was found. His sister, Renee Melvin, said: ‘When I came around knocking on the door, the dogs came to the window, I didn’t know he had three dogs.’

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/23/starving-dogs-ate-owner-died-natural-causes-12112120/
A bit gross but what's a dog to do? Die of starvation?

Back