• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Day Of The Animals: Tales Of Man Vs Beast (And Man Suffers)

HORSE RESCUED FROM POOL AT SUBURBAN PHOENIX HOME

USA: A horse in suburban Phoenix needed rescuing after it led itself to water and did more than just drink.

Mesa firefighters say the horse was wandering outside of its pen when the animal somehow fell into the backyard swimming pool and became stuck.

Mesa Fire Capt Forrest Smith says firefighters, with the assistance of a vet tranquilised the horse before pulling it out using several straps. Smith says the horse was not injured.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 94203.html

Hard to swallow but tortoise ate turtle charm<

The source of a sick tortoise’s discomfort became clear after a Florida vet took an X-ray: It had swallowed a turtle pendant.

Dr Don Harris said the 6.8kilo male African spurred tortoise named Lola hadn’t pooped for a month and began acting sick. Lola’s owner brought him to an animal centre in Miami, which Harris co-owns.

After an X-ray, Harris spotted the small, turtle-shaped object. Lola’s owner said she didn’t recognise it, but Harris said tortoises weren’t fussy about what they ate, consuming rocks and other objects too. Harris is keeping Lola at his clinic, trying to get the pendant to pass. If that fails, surgery may follow.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/hard ... 95558.html

MOUSE HUNT

NORWAY: Norwegian Air Shuttle, already plagued by costly flight delays on its long-haul routes, was forced to delay a flight to New York by five hours because of a hunt for a mouse in the cockpit.

“The pilots discovered a mouse on flight deck,” spokeswoman Charlotte Holmbergh said yesterday.

“We had to make sure that no cables or wires had been chewed.

“This does not happen very often, but it does happen from time to time.”

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 95474.html

Man’s own dog helps police bust him on drug charge

USA: Police in Alabama say a man’s dog helped officers bust him on a drug charge.

Prattville Police spokeswoman Paula Barlow says the dog, Bo, followed his master, who was being chased by officers. When the dog stopped and wagged his tail in tall grass, she says, officers found and arrested Edwin Henderson.

Barlow says the chase began when two drug officers arrived Wednesday with a search warrant and Henderson took off running.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 95766.html

WORM HOLE

USA: A consignment of worms was among the cargo lost when a supply rocket exploded over Virginia after taking off for the International Space Station.

Eighteen groups of students had science projects onboard the rocket, including a team from the Urban Promise Academy in Oakland, California, who were testing red worms’ capacity to turn garbage into compost in space.

Urban Promise student Cithlali Hernandez said the explosion surprised her and she admitted she was saddened to think of the worms dying.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 95766.html

A Staffordshire bull terrier has been rescued after spending five nights trapped in a storm drain. The petite dog, named Irek, became stuck in a hole about 20ft underground in Ballincollig, Co Cork, early last week. Irek was severely dehydrated as well as bruised and terrified, by the time it was eventually freed on Saturday after the five-day ordeal.

The rescue was a joint effort between the Munster Lost and Found Pet helpline and the Irish Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. ...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/do ... 97191.html

Cats often go n roofs and have no problems getting down.

DOG-GONE
US: Firemen in Ohio came to the rescue of a dog that neighbours say had been stuck on a roof for three days. Dozens watched as Youngstown firemen and police officers brought the rottweiler to safety. It took them about an hour to rescue the dog that had escaped from a hole in the attic of the three-storey house.

A man who lives across the street told The Vindicator newspaper in Youngstown that he had called authorities about the dog a couple of times.

The dog’s owner showed up during the rescue. He told authorities that he had been staying with a friend for the past week and didn’t know the dog had got out.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 97253.html

Suspiciously moggy-looking tigre 'en vacance' a paris....

Police and firefighters are desperately hunting for a tiger on the loose near Paris after a local resident spotted the animal in a car park and sounded the alert, authorities said.

Backed up by a helicopter, firefighters armed with tranquilising guns combed the area in the Seine-et-Marne district near the French capital.

Authorities ordered residents to stay inside and children were kept at school, as several people came forward saying they had seen the tiger on the prowl.

"We have been running after it since this morning, police officers are trying to intercept it," a police source said.

Town hall official Cedric Tartaud-Gineste told AFP: "We are calling on inhabitants to be careful, not to leave their houses and to stay in their vehicles."

"Anyone who sees the tiger should call the police or the fire service," he added.

He said that a security perimeter covering an area about the size of four or five football pitches had been set up around a wooded area near the small town of Montevrain, some 40km east of Paris.

A woman spotted the animal in a supermarket car park in Montevrain this morning.

"My wife saw it this morning," Jean-Baptiste Berdeaux, who manages the Intermarche supermarket, told AFP.

"She didn't get out of the car and called me to say 'I think I saw a lynx'," he said, adding she took a photo of the animal and the couple then alerted nearby police officers.

Authorities said they were hoping to catch the animal alive.

"If it's possible, we'll try and put it to sleep. If it becomes dangerous or aggressive, the order will be given to kill it," police said.

It is as yet unclear where the tiger comes from.

The town of Montevrain is a stone's throw away from Disneyland Paris, but a source close to the investigation said there was no link to the theme park.

Authorities have also made enquiries at a big-cat wildlife park 30km away and a circus that recently passed through town but no missing tiger has yet been reported.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1113/659119-tiger-paris/

A Siamese-mix cat named Darryl is recuperating well after receiving a metal prosthesis to correct a palate injury in his mouth, thanks to a unique collaborative dental procedure performed Oct. 29 at the University of Florida Small Animal Hospital.

The procedure involved affixing a metal prosthesis to the roof of Darryl's mouth to close a gaping hole between his oral and his nasal cavities. Fong Wong, D.D.S., an associate professor of prosthodontics and maxillofacial prosthetics in UF's College of Dentistry, conducted the procedure and was assisted by Amy Stone, D.V.M., Ph.D., a clinical assistant professor in UF's College of Veterinary Medicine.

This is a procedure Wong routinely performs in human patients with cleft palates or defects after cancer surgery.

"This was a different approach than has ever been done before," said Stone, who also serves as chief of the veterinary college's primary care and dentistry service. "We have not had an exact procedure for palate issues that is entirely successful for every species, and Darryl's problem was one likely caused, or at least exacerbated, by injury. There were also other complications, so his situation required something a bit different." ...

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/285375.php

staticgirl said:
Suspiciously moggy-looking tigre 'en vacance' a paris....

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1113/659119-tiger-paris/

Anyone who follows ABC flaps can't say they didn't see this coming:-

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30049216

French police have scaled back the hunt for a stray big cat in Paris after scotching initial reports that the animal is a tiger.

It was first spotted at Montevrain, 38km (23 miles) east of Paris.

Sightings of the animal sparked a search involving hundreds of emergency services workers, animal-trackers and a helicopter.

But experts now say the animal is most likely a much less dangerous animal, such as a lynx or large domestic cat.

They made their conclusions based on inspecting animal tracks.

Photo courtesy of Julie Berdeaux
A photo purporting to show the animal
It remains unclear where the animal came from, though there is a big cat park near Montevrain.

A source told AFP that the search had been scaled back for the moment and the helicopter grounded, although forces remained "mobilised" in case of a fresh alert.

The BBC's Hugh Schofield in Paris says police had suggested there was probably not too much to worry about, but the authorities still sent out officers with guns and tranquilisers.

BBC graphic
BBC map
Community alert
The hunt has focused on areas near the Disneyland Paris theme park.

There was a fresh alert on Friday morning after paw prints were discovered near a service station east of Paris.

To reach there, the animal had apparently crossed the A4 motorway.

Police guarded the entrances to schools in the Montevrain area in case the cat turned up, as a helicopter with thermal imaging hovered.

Local residents were asked to stay indoors and parents urged to take their children to and from school by car.

A dozen or so soldiers from a nearby army base joined police and fire officials combing the countryside outside Montevrain.

Paw prints were discovered near a Paris service station
Paw prints were discovered near a Paris service station
Police with tranquilizer gun walk through a wood in Montevrain, east of Paris. 13 Nov 2014
Police with tranquiliser guns have been searching a wood in Montevrain
A huntsman, officially designated as a "wolf catcher", who has a specially trained dog, was also part of the search team.

The owner of the lntermarche supermarket in Montevrain said on Thursday that his wife had spotted the animal at about 08:30 (07:30 GMT).

"She didn't get out of the car and called me to say 'I think I saw a lynx'," he was quoted as saying. The woman took a photograph that appears to show a large cat.

Le Parisien newspaper said several local residents had sighted the animal.

The Montevrain mayor's office dismissed the idea that the big cat could have escaped from a circus that was in the town until Saturday, Le Parisien reported.

With Disneyland so close maybe Shere Khan escaped from a ride?

But experts now say the animal is most likely a much less dangerous animal, such as a lynx or large domestic cat.
-----------

My cat is fat as hell but I don't see how you could mistake it for a tiger. If it's a lynx I wouldn't worry either I live in bobcat country and they might eat your house cat or something but they probably won't attack any humans.

-----------

My cat is fat as hell but I don't see how you could mistake it for a tiger. If it's a lynx I wouldn't worry either I live in bobcat country and they might eat your house cat or something but they probably won't attack any humans.

Indeed! Even large breeds of domestic cat such as the Maine Coon or the Norwegian Forest Cat couldn`t possibly be mistaken for a tiger unless a person had an extremely active imagination.

GingerTabby said:
-----------

Indeed! Even large breeds of domestic cat such as the Maine Coon or the Norwegian Forest Cat couldn`t possibly be mistaken for a tiger unless a person had an extremely active imagination.

People have speculated that we're genetically predisposed to (mis)interpret things as big cats because they are our ancestral predators.

In re: cats on roofs

There is a Brazilian proverb/story....A man goes away on a business trip, he leaves his cat with a neighbor.

A week later, he gets a message, "Your cat is dead."

The man is angry, he says, "You should have told me 'your cat is up on the roof', then, "Your cat won't come down' and finally, 'Your cat is dead.'.

The man went away a few months later, on another trip.

He gets a message, "Your Grandmother is up on the roof..."

In Brazil, people will say, "He knows when his Grandmother is up on the roof." to imply that someone is no dummy.

And now my question, who was going to walk and feed this dog?

A seal with a fondness for New Jersey beaches — and the food-sharing fishermen and beachgoers that come with them — is headed for Detroit after becoming a little too friendly with the locals.

Since March, the 100lb female gray seal had stopped on Long Island, New York, and New Jersey beaches at Sandy Hook, Island Beach State Park, Sea Isle City, and Longport.

Each time, animal rescue groups shooed it back into the water or treated it for illness or injury. But the seal kept coming back.

When people started petting it on a beach in Longport on September 5, the Marine Mammal Stranding Center removed it from the ocean permanently because it had become too acclimated to humans. ...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 98109.html

rynner2 said:
Saved by the dog-tor: Pet collie 'sniffed out' that owner had breast cancer

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ancer.html
How my dog sniffed out breast cancer and saved my life
Five years ago, Dr Claire Guest's labrador Daisy discovered a lump in her owner's breast. Now, Dr Guest has founded Medical Detection Dogs - one of the Telegraph's Christmas charities

It was August, 2009 and Claire, a scientist and animal behaviour expert, had been training Daisy to use her sense of smell for medical purposes. Struck by the intelligence of animals, after years of intensive research, she had become convinced that dogs could be used to detect human conditions – from low blood-sugar levels in diabetics to cancerous cells in the otherwise healthy – using nothing but their noses. The part of the brain that controls smell is 40 times more powerful in dogs than humans, meaning they can detect odours at a concentration of one part per trillion.

One afternoon, Claire took a break from work at a nearby hospital to take Daisy and her other two dogs for a walk. “I lifted the back of the car up, and the other two jumped out – but Daisy sat staring at me,” she remembers. “Then she boshed into me a couple of times, prodding my chest with her nose. It was really weird; she’s not an invasive dog. But she pushed into me again. I said, 'Silly girl, go away,’ and she leapt out. We went for a walk, and all the while I was thinking, 'That really hurt.’”

That evening, Claire, now 50, felt the place on her chest where Daisy had pushed her. “I thought there was something there; a lump,” she says. A trip to the doctor confirmed that there was a cyst in her left breast – the exact spot her dog had pinpointed – and she was sent for further investigation. Following a mammogram and a core biopsy, Claire learnt that she had breast cancer.

“The surgeon said I was incredibly lucky for it to be diagnosed so early. It was as deep as a breast cancer can be, so by the time I’d felt anything, it would’ve been too late.” She had a lumpectomy and her lymph nodes removed, followed by five weeks of radiotherapy – and is now cancer-free. She owes her life, she believes, to her dog.

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/telegra ... -life.html

A New Hampshire man says he was working in his garage when a groundhog he had seen in his backyard charged at him.

Gary McGrath, of Hampton, New Hampshire, said the groundhog got close, so he pushed him back with his foot. But the animal returned and McGrath said he gave him a harder kick and closed the garage door.

However, the groundhog sneaked through another opening — and McGrath ended up running to the front door. It was later put down in the yard by an animal control officer. McGrath said he didn’t know what the groundhog was thinking, “but it was not nice”.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 98904.html

Eider ducks in Northumberland's coastal areas are being harmed by people feeding them fish and chips, a wildlife expert has warned. Chris Watson says people living or visiting the area often wrongly believe eiders are tame as they are "friendly". He told BBC Radio Four's Broadcasting House the sea birds may seem to enjoy the food but it damages their eggs.

The Northumberland coast is recognised as a haven for wild birds, including colonies of eiders.

Mr Watson, whose work as a nature sound recordist includes documentaries with Sir David Attenborough, said: "Normally eider ducks eat shellfish not fish and chips - [which is] lacking calcium so the eggs are failing. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-30166120

A 57kg former police dog is poised to be the latest weapon to be used to sniff out sewer-blocking fat, oil, and grease.

Hector the bloodhound has swapped a life of crime for one of grime by being trained to detect blockages on Southern Water’s 40,000km network of sewers.

The company, which serves Kent, Sussex, Hampshire, and the Isle of Wight, hopes to deploy Hector to sniff out problem areas through air gaps at ground level. His nose has 1,000 times more scent receptors than a human’s, and it is hoped he can be used to find some of the 17,000 blockages caused each year by fat, oil, grease, and wet wipes.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/fo ... 99464.html

A tear-jerker of a tale:

Loyal dog waits for owner who will never return at hospital for two years
The faithful canine began turning up at the hospital every day when her owner was taken ill
By Mark Molloy
10:09AM GMT 26 Nov 2014

A loyal dog has shown up every day for two years at a hospital where her master passed away.
Masha appears at the Siberian hospital’s reception area every morning, the Siberian Times reports.
Her owner was admitted to the hospital in Novosibirsk region, south western Siberia, two years ago after falling ill.

Masha is well cared for by staff who make sure she has a warm bed and food every night.
The faithful canine was the elderly man’s only visitor, staff say, and used to run home every night to stand guard before returning the next morning.

Hospital staff now hope they can find someone willing to adopt Masha and give her a loving home.
“You see her eyes, how sad they are - it's not the usual shiny eyes for when a dog is happy. You can see this in animals in the same way as with people,” Dr Vladimir Bespalov explained.
“There is nothing medicine can do for her here, but we are still hoping that Masha will be able to find another owner.
“One day, and we very much want this day to come soon, our Masha will trust somebody.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filt ... years.html

Watch: Horse's amazing reaction when walking in river water for the first time
This video of Magic the horse stepping into a stream for the first time is both touching and hilarious - he is cautious at first but it doesn't take long before he's splashing water all over his owner
By Leon Siciliano, video source Anna Paterek
4:54PM GMT 26 Nov 2014

Anna Paterek took her horse, Magic, to a river with the hope of curing his fear of water.
At first she tried to ride him into the river, but Magic was very cautious.
So Anna got off and walked him into the river herself to show it was safe.

What happened next Anna described as "the best thing ever". Magic started splashing around in the water, completely soaking his owner.

So it seems you can lead a horse to water, but there is no guarantee you will stay dry. :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvid ... -time.html

Staff at a rescue centre have seen a huge increase in the number of hedgehogs being brought through their doors.

Last month, 40 hedgehogs were admitted to RSPCA West Hatch in Taunton, Somerset, compared with 27 in 2013.The increase of almost 50% could be due to milder weather allowing people to spot more stricken hedgehogs.

There are currently 60 hedgehogs at West Hatch, with some so young they require feeding with a syringe.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 299963.htm
l

I remember a belief that gypsies ate hedgehogs. An urban/rural legend I guess.

The dogs of San Francisco are feeling more relaxed than ever thanks to the growing popularity of animal massage therapy.

Shelah Barr says she and fellow therapists are increasingly being asked to travel to homes, hotels, and even workplaces to perform treatments, as owners apparently become more willing to pamper their pets.

Practitioners say massage can be a preventive measure for younger animals and rehabilitative for older ones by boosting flexibility, circulation and immunity.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 99963.html

ramonmercado said:
I remember a belief that gypsies ate hedgehogs. An urban/rural legend I guess.
Search Wiki for 'Cooking Hedgehog' - there are many links, from around the world, and dating back to the middle ages.

But this is more direct:
They are eaten both in Africa and in parts of England and Europe. The most common method for cooking hedgehog is to roll them in clay, bake them in a fire and then remove the hardened clay, taking the spines with it. At one time, it was believed that eating hedgehogs would cure the sick of all sorts of ailments including leprosy, colic, boils, stones and poor vision. A translation of writings from the mid-fourteenth century by Konrad of Megenberg, includes the following passage.
...the flesh of the hedgehog is wholesome for the stomach and strengthens the same. Likewise it hath a power of drying and relieving the stomach. It deals with the water of dropsy and is of great help to such as are inclined to the sickness called elephantiasis.

The gypsies of Europe still eat hedgehogs as a cure for poisoning and, perhaps even, for removing evil spells.

http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/myths.shtml
Cooking them in clay is something I knew about from childhood (many moons ago now).

Back