• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Day Of The Animals: Tales Of Man Vs Beast (And Man Suffers)

^^:p A technician at the local veterinary clinic once told me they used to have a client whose parrot had a similar vocabulary. The parrot would produce a constant stream of this language at a high volume from the time he and his owner arrived for their appointment until they left. Apparently the parrot could be heard swearing a blue streak even when the door to the examining room was closed. The technician said it was particularly comical when the waiting room was full. Although the vet managed to maintain his composure, the other staff members and clients were in stitches at the parrot's language.

nest03.jpg

Today we cleaned out the birdhouse. Each year I'm amazed at the amount of stuff that the black tits manage to bring home. This was a block of 12*15*6 cm filled with grass, moss (never see them plucking moss) and (dog?) hair.

Seal enjoys the Cornish heatwave with his own hammock at Gweek sanctuary
By WBGraeme | Posted: June 29, 2015

10388662.jpg

WITH a heat wave hitting Cornwall, it appears that it's not just humans that enjoy lounging in the sun.
Male grey seal Pumpkin, who lives at the Cornish Seal Sanctuary has been spotted by the team, and guests, using the sun canopy over his pool as a hammock.

Tamara Cooper, head of animal care said: "Pumpkin never ceases to surprise us with his playful nature but we were certainly not expecting to see him lounging happily on top of the canopy designed to give the seals some extra shade on sunny days."

Pumpkin was rescued in Guernsey by the GSPCA and was transferred to the Cornish Seal Sanctuary in 2010 for his next stage of rehabilitation and to learn to compete for fish with other seals.
However, due to Pumpkin's persistent bladder infection, the vets advised that the sanctuary could not release him, so he is now a permanent resident at the sanctuary.

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/Seal-en...ammock-Gweek/story-26798558-detail/story.html

I hope they gave him plenty of sun-screen!

Many years back my mum was admitted into hospital so i took her rainbow budgie home. For the first few days he was quiet then one afternoon he spoke. Talk to me, he said. I was amazed by this and so began our friendship. He loved sharing my meals and even started to sqwark my name. It was a sad day when i returned him to my mum.

It's amazing how much they understand and how they can put together sentences that actually mean something.

There used to be a bloke on here plugging the true story of a psychic budgie. They are intelligent, but I'm not sure they have psychic powers.

'Vicious' fox traps eight people in Cambridgeshire sports club

A "vicious" fox trapped eight people inside a sports club for three hours as it stalked them from the car park.
The animal appeared as people were preparing to leave Alconbury Sports and Social Club, Cambridgeshire.
Panic reigned, with a woman being bitten, a man falling off his bicycle as he was chased and a pest controller being pursued back to his car.
Club chairman Bruce Staines, who was chased around the car park, said he had "never seen anything like it".
Mr Staines admitted he "tweaked his groin" trying to get away from the marauding animal and back to the safety of the club.
"None of us could get out. When we tried to use a side door, the fox heard and came haring round there."

A woman who tried to distract the fox with food sustained a bite to her hand.
A man who tried to outpace the creature on his bicycle was chased into a field and fell off, losing his glasses in the process.
"He had to fend the fox off with his bicycle," Mr Staines said.

Club members ended up barricaded inside the building, watching the fox on the CCTV system as it stalked outside, at about 22:00 BST on Saturday.
The local pest controller was called, but when he tried to approach the animal it "went for him" and chased him back to his car.

The fox was eventually caught and destroyed.

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-33360817

Orpington Man finds Fox under bed eating his Jaffa Cakes (with picture of fox and Jaffa Cakes)
Mr McRobbie, who lives off Glentrammon Road, said: “I came home from the pub and my room stank a bit, I thought it was hiking boots or something.

“Anyway I shut the door and went to bed. When I woke up the smell was worse, so I looked under my bed and it was staring at me. It had spent the night under my bed, I was quite taken aback.

“It had a feast on my Jaffa cakes, I keep them next to my bed and it had dragged them underneath and finished them off. He was quite happy.” Full story.

Chinese man mistakes bears for puppies. For two years.
Two Asian black bears mistakenly bred as "pet dogs" by a local villager for two years in Yunnan Province have been sent to the provincial wildlife rescue center.
..Wang said he believed they were dogs while buying them. He loved his "puppies" much, bathing them and combing their hair almost every day.

The bears were both very lively, not picky about food and were friendly with human beings. But they started behaving strangely much unlike dogs while they grew up, Wang added. They even occasionally caught and ate chicken. Full story.

It's not just the sharks...

A 5-year-old girl was killed Thursday after a sturgeon leaped out of a northern Florida river and struck her while she was boating with her family, state wildlife officials said.

Jaylon Rippy died after getting hit by the fish on the Suwannee River, south of Lake City, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said in a statement posted on the Suwannee Democrat Bulletin.

Her mother, Tanya Faye Rippy, and 9-year-old brother, Trevor Rippy, were injured by the flying fish as well, the statement said.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/leaping-sturgeon-kills-5-year-old-florida-girl-n386791

He Snarled At Everyone Who Went Near His Cage. But When THIS Woman Comes Along? UNBELIEVABLE!

An interesting animal story with a fortean element about a black leopard in a S.African big cat rescue centre. He's been rescued from a bad zoo & is pissed off, hostile & dangerous until 'cat woman' Anna Breytenbach who claims to communicate with animals via some sort of telepathy comes on the scene. Cue transformation of the leopards behavior. With video 13 mins.

That cat is gorgeous, they all are, but i have a love of black ones

I agree, he once stook his hairy head through the open back door but the dog got involved and scared it away :(

It looked similar to this one but with more hair aound the face and neck.

3523779-sitting-black-cat-looking-into-the-camera.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back