• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Day Of The Animals: Tales Of Man Vs Beast (And Man Suffers)

The rat who activated the fire alarm without there being a fire was a .... .... rat.

Rat pulls fire alarm inside D.C. condo building
... Security camera footage from inside a Washington, D.C., condo building revealed who pulled the fire alarm that spurred an evacuation -- a rat.

A video recorded inside the condominium building shows a rat jumping from a handrail to the fire alarm, which is triggered by the rodent's weight.

The alarm prompted an evacuation of the building, which was not on fire. ...

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/0...inside-DC-condo-building/5431536594169/?sl=10

A real old sea dog

Lifeboat crews launched a rescue bid for a "dog" in trouble in the sea which turned out to be a seal.

The RNLI said what was thought to be a Jack Russell was spotted off Roker Pier, Sunderland, on Saturday.

But when Sunderland Coastguard Rescue Team arrived, they realised it was in fact a small seal in the water.

RNLI spokesman Paul Robinson said crews only became involved in dog rescues to try to prevent owners risking their lives and going into the water.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-45547007

Turtles giving each other a high 5 according to this news report. It's probably not what they're actually doing but I'm still going to pretend it is anyway.

!

Reactions: Jim
What's going on with small furry animals having the pointless urge to climb skyscrapers lately? ..

FAF! .. (Fortean As F**k)

This video has a scary bit and then a happy ending so you're safe to watch it ..

What's going on with small furry animals having the pointless urge to climb skyscrapers lately? ..

FAF! .. (Fortean As F**k)

I know! There's even a feature on it in the latest FT. Must be a cluster of cases that are usually spaced out. Not that kind of spaced out.

As they're social animals that usually live in groups it doesn't bode well for it to be on it's own. It's well out of it's usual range as well..

I think the seal was just using the kayak as a handy 'rock' to bash the octopus on, rather than attacking the man.

I think the seal was just using the kayak as a handy 'rock' to bash the octopus on, rather than attacking the man.
I agree an attack on the man using an octopus is very unlikely. However it makes for quite an interesting and usual photo.

Good point, I hadn't considered that .. I know fishermen also tenderise the octopus by bashing one on rocks.

I agree an attack on the man using an octopus is very unlikely. However it makes for quite an interesting and usual photo.
There's also video of it all in the link Jim :)

Good point, I hadn't considered that .. I know fishermen also tenderise the octopus by bashing one on rocks.
Yeah, it's to break all those nasty bones.
;)

I know! There's even a feature on it in the latest FT. Must be a cluster of cases that are usually spaced out. Not that kind of spaced out.
Here's a song about a fat raccoon that looks extremely unlikely to pointlessly climb up any buildings GNC

Where do you think isinglass comes from?

This lizard has a bright future in telemarketing ...

Tiny Hawaiian Gecko Accidentally Calls "a Bazillion" People from Hospital Phone, Wins the Internet
If you have never been prank-called by a lizard, you probably don't live in Hawaii.

Dr. Claire Simeone, the director of the Kei Kai Ola hospital for Hawaiian monk seals, definitely does. Earlier this week, Simeone had just left work for lunch when her phone started ringing. A lot.

"I thought maybe someone had a seal-related question," Simeone wrote on Twitter earlier today (Oct. 5). "I picked up. Silence."

Seconds later, Simeone's phone rang again — and then again, and again. Each time she answered, there was nothing but eerie silence. After receiving nine identical calls in 15 minutes, Simeone "started to panic," she said. The calls were apparently coming from inside the hospital, so she rushed back to work, worried that a "seal emergency" was transpiring in her absence.

There was no emergency (thankfully), seal or otherwise. In fact, Simeone's co-workers said nobody had tried to call her at all.

"Meanwhile," Simeone wrote, "several other people call the hospital, asking WHY WE ARE CALLING THEM INCESSANTLY?"

When Simeone called the hospital's phone company to get to the bottom of the phantom calls, a technician confirmed that "a bazillion calls" had indeed been dialed from one particular line in the hospital. Simeone hunted from room to room until she finally tracked the mystery dialer to the center's laboratory. There, she caught her perpetrator red-handed … or rather, green-footed. ...

"THERE IS A GECKO SITTING ON THE TOUCH SCREEN OF THE PHONE, MAKING CALLS WITH HIS TINY GECKO FEET!!!" Simeone tweeted. "This gecko has called me 15 times and everyone in our recent call list."

Mystery solved. Simeone said she "immediately hired the gecko" and drafted an apology to everyone on staff who may have gotten a call from the tiny, green menace.

SOURCE: https://www.livescience.com/63774-hawaii-gecko-prank-caller.html

That's a lot of pee.

I suspect Dublin Bus employs quite a few monkeys as drivers.

Driver suspended for letting monkey steer bus
By
Ben Hooper
(0)
Oct. 8 (UPI) -- A bus driver in India has been suspended after video emerged of him letting a monkey sit on the vehicle's steering wheel and help steer.

The video, which went viral on social media, shows the man holding onto the wheel of the bus with one hand while the langur monkey perches on the wheel and steers the vehicle on a road in Karnataka, Bangalore.

The Karnataka State Road Transport Corp. said the driver has been suspended from his duties while officials investigate the incident.

Officials said the monkey was a pet belonging to one of the passengers on the bus.

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/10/08/Driver-suspended-for-letting-monkey-steer-bus/9931539021145/

Back