• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dead Babies Organ Transplants - A Dark Path Awaits?

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
This scares me. It's good that people who might otherwise have died got their transplants, but really, this also looks like a viable method of being able to have organs that are highly likely to be compatible available in a 9 month period:

Doctors have performed the first organ transplants from a newborn in the UK.

In a procedure described as a milestone in neonatal care, a six-day-old baby girl's kidneys and liver cells were given to two separate recipients after her heart stopped beating.

Experts argue there is potential for more life-saving donations, but say current UK guidelines are prohibitive.

An official review is expected by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health this year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30878890

Not necessarily so. Even in families, a renal match is only a 25% possibility. Whilst immunosuppresants can increase the percentage, or rather make a less perfect match a possibility, it's not really likely you can 'pre-order' an organ.

You don't think some people would try for a roll of the dice on 25% if their life depended on it? Rather than 1 in 10s of thousands each time a donor dies.

I'm not sure what you are getting at OWB? Do you mean folks having a second child to become a donor, or parents of a baby accepting the high risk of rejection?

I'm not sure what you are getting at OWB? Do you mean folks having a second child to become a donor, or parents of a baby accepting the high risk of rejection?
It may 'only' be a nine month wait for an organ, but it's an organ for a newborn - I can't see much scope for skulduggery there.

The article says....

"But they say the neonatal organs could be donated to young babies, children or even adults."

Are we thinking that people might have a baby to kill it then harvest the organs?

If it's physically possible, some bugger will have a go at it.

9 months wait for an organ with a 25% chance of compatibility might be appealing to some.

Back