• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dead Tibetans In WW2 Berlin?

Wehrmacht prisoners captured in Normandy:

ecded6e5a58727cf86875ec28ecd0ad0--wwii-central.jpg

7a7de45c92d4c06a98005cb07eaae32c.jpg

The uniforms are generic Wehrmacht, except for the bloke standing right rear in the Cossack hat, who’s wearing the arm patch of the Russian Liberation Army or ROA (POA in Cyrillic).

maximus otter

Last edited:
I remember reading about this guy some years ago - clearly not Tibetan, but it does indicate that distance and Nordic purity were no object when the Nazis felt the need. (It's worth pointing out, though, that citations are needed for the statments about his service in Normandy.)

Yang_Kyoungjong.jpg

Last edited:
I remember reading about this guy some years ago - clearly not Tibetan, but it does indicate that distance and Nordic purity were no object when the Nazis felt the need. (It's worth pointing out, though, that citations are needed for the statments about his service in Normandy.)

View attachment 13705

That’s Yang Kyoungjong who had - to put it mildly - an “interesting” life, having fought for the Japanese, the Russians and the Germans!

maximus otter

Do you have a source for this?

Wondered if I was conflating things with a half-remembered version of the Korean-in-Normandy story: then recalled where I'd read it in a specifically Tibetan context: in Cornelius Ryan's book, The Longest Day, (his history of the D-Day invasion seen via eye-witness accounts) a story about Allied interrogators who were questioning two Asian men captured in German uniforms. Ryan said that it was later learned that these men were Tibetans who were press ganged into the Red Army and were captured when the Germans invaded and were press ganged into the Wehrmacht.

Of course, Ryan might have got the story garbled too, and could have mis-assigned "Tibetan" to a FOAF story about the Korean - you can't rule it out - but generally he was a fairly diligent researcher in his WW2 histories. Wonder if Anthony Beevor - who covered the same ground as Ryan later, in somewhat more depth - picked this up too? Minded to go and check.

Wondered if I was conflating things with a half-remembered version of the Korean-in-Normandy story: then recalled where I'd read it in a specifically Tibetan context: in Cornelius Ryan's book, The Longest Day, (his history of the D-Day invasion seen via eye-witness accounts) a story about Allied interrogators who were questioning two Asian men captured in German uniforms. Ryan said that it was later learned that these men were Tibetans who were press ganged into the Red Army and were captured when the Germans invaded and were press ganged into the Wehrmacht.

Of course, Ryan might have got the story garbled too, and could have mis-assigned "Tibetan" to a FOAF story about the Korean - you can't rule it out - but generally he was a fairly diligent researcher in his WW2 histories. Wonder if Anthony Beevor - who covered the same ground as Ryan later, in somewhat more depth - picked this up too? Minded to go and check.

Thanks for the reference AgProv. I have never actually read The Longest Day, but I am well aware of it. Perhaps I can find a copy now I know what to look for.

My Father served in New Guinea in World War 2 and part of his duties had to do with Korean prisoners who had been forced into the army by the Japanese.
They were very fond of him and one carved a jewel box out of a shell casing with a dragon engraved around it which they gave him and it was given to my Mother.

Dang! I forgot.

The reference I found was of dead asians, no ID, said to be tibetian black monks.

this was in a kooky (but interesting) book called `This Hollow Earth` by Warren Smith.

Which made it sound like pulp weirdness....Evil monks to counter the Reds and oranges....

Later on I found that black monks are BON not Buddhist....

i saw a reference to this odd story in mike dash's borderlands, but there they are aghartians, not tibetans

What is the difference?

And how do you tell an aghatrian from a Shambalayan?

An interesting aside: Nazism subscribed to the now-disproved idea of the 'Aryan' race of people who supposedly came out of south Asia, migrated westwards and became Europeans - hence northern Indians, Afghans, Nepalese people and Tibetans were racially 'acceptable' to them.

In reality Europeans were a mix of peoples from at least two directions, if not a few more [and the same goes for modern Asians]

There are genetic quirks in areas of Asia (Chinese with red hair, or Kashmiris with blue eyes) that somewhat backed up their (Nazi) claims but we now know there is little value in ascribing racial 'types' to anyone, anywhere.

The so-called "Tibetans" alleged to have fought for the Germans may well have been Kalmucks / Kalmyks.

This ethnic / cultural group was typically cited as being "Mongolian" via centuries of association / interaction with the Mongol Empire. However, these originally nomadic peoples trace back to ancestral homelands on the steppes of what was then and still is treated as the northeastern portion of Tibet rather than Mongolia. Even though strongly associated with Mongolia and "Mongols" by westerners, Kalmyks have always been a separate / distinct group.

By the time of the Soviet era Kalmyks were settled in Siberia and as far west as the western shores of the Caspian Sea. This placement in the Caucasus region matches the area from which many non-Russian Soviet citizens were drawn into German service.

During the pre-WW2 Soviet decades the suffered considerable oppression and relocations.

Kalmyks were among the many anti-Soviet ethnic / regional groups who willingly joined the German side in hopes of unseating the Soviet regime. The Kalmyks were particularly prominent among the cavalry regiments the German army established for central and eastern Asians who volunteered to aid in overthrowing Stalin's USSR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalmyks

Re: Dead Tibetans in WW2 Berlin

Which, I understand, is the source of the second half of the name of the popular liquefied-cow-drink Bovril, the first half coming from the latin bos meaning ox.

See also the Bosphoros, the river that flows through Constantinople, forming the boundary between Europe (Thrace) and Asia (Asia Minor), and linking the Euxine (Black Sea) with the Propontis (Sea of Marmara).

'Phoros' means 'ford', which, as scholarly folk are wont to point out, makes 'Bosphoros' the Greek equivalent of 'Oxford'.

The so-called "Tibetans" alleged to have fought for the Germans may well have been Kalmucks / Kalmyks.

This ethnic / cultural group was typically cited as being "Mongolian" via centuries of association / interaction with the Mongol Empire. However, these originally nomadic peoples trace back to ancestral homelands on the steppes of what was then and still is treated as the northeastern portion of Tibet rather than Mongolia. Even though strongly associated with Mongolia and "Mongols" by westerners, Kalmyks have always been a separate / distinct group.

By the time of the Soviet era Kalmyks were settled in Siberia and as far west as the western shores of the Caspian Sea. This placement in the Caucasus region matches the area from which many non-Russian Soviet citizens were drawn into German service.

During the pre-WW2 Soviet decades the suffered considerable oppression and relocations.

Kalmyks were among the many anti-Soviet ethnic / regional groups who willingly joined the German side in hopes of unseating the Soviet regime. The Kalmyks were particularly prominent among the cavalry regiments the German army established for central and eastern Asians who volunteered to aid in overthrowing Stalin's USSR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalmyks
:yeahthat::bump:

Back