• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Deadman's Island

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Kent's horrifying lost island where visitors are banned

It lies opposite Queenborough in Sheppey and is probably one of the most haunting spots in the county. Dubbed Deadman's Island, the grisly place sounds like something from a Pirates of the Caribbean film. But it in fact earned its name after recent investigations found it littered with human remains.

More than 200 years ago, the island was used as a burial ground for convicts who died aboard prison ships. And rising sea levels have caused the lost bodies of the 'prison hulk' boats just off Sheppey to be uncovered. Coastal erosion and lower tides mean that in 2020, wooden coffins, aged skulls and fragments of bones stick out from the six feet of mud that once blanketed the area.
https://www.kentlive.news/news/nostalgia/deadmans-island-kents-horrifying-lost-4449158

I am surprised there aren't ghoul tours operating out to it yet.

I would imagine a Moon Beast has written a strongly worded letter to the Sheerness Times Guardian putting a stop to it.

Those Men of Leng? Coming over here, getting enslaved and taking our jobs...

Last edited:
Well, if they want no visitors, they sure fire are making it look enticing.

I haven't been on that island, but I know the area.

Wandering around the place without being familiar with the land would likely end up with your getting wet, stuck or drowned.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/map-search?clearresults=true

Its right opposite Queenborough.

Something bothersome; now compare the map with the Sat image. (No date of either)

Theres a LOT of land loss on the north coast.

True, its not so much an island as a patch of salt marsh....Just the place you would dump the unwanted. Burials would be rather...soggy.

And we all know what remains in such conditions would be like....

Well, if they want no visitors, they sure fire are making it look enticing.
Yeah, nothing more enticing than rotting corpses all over the place.

Back