• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dealin' With The Devil?

bob61

Devoted Cultist
Are demons or a literal devil ( satan ) real ( i personally believe they are ) & if so is it possible to make a deal with them in exchange for things beyond our wildest dreams or knowledge of things secret / hidden using our soul as currency ? their have been legends of individuals making pacts with satan such as american blues musician robert johnson & many , many others . after all , what would you do ? if you could have anything your heart desires, everything you ever wanted in exchange for your soul ..... WOULD YOU DO IT ? , and if so ..... what would you ask for .

I tend to think they're a metaphor for the psychological horse-trading man so often goes in for with himself: when humility and hard work fail to perform, the 'dark side' of a man's mind tempts him with access to the power, selfishness and drive of the sublimated unconscious. A draught of these primal forces can be critical in the pursuit of any challenging goal, even those that are themselves innocent or noble. I will move heaven and earth to get that church roof fixed...

The danger is, of course, that once one has had a taste of such power it's hard to cram these forces back into the bottle and return to one's former humility (good work, George Washington). And once they're out, once they're part of you to a greater or lesser degree, there's an unpredictable element of chaos at work in your life.

Even when a positive goal is finally accomplished, a moral man may still agonise over the ethics of the means of accomplishment until the day he dies (Monty pacing the halls at night, wondering how he's going to explain all those deaths to God).

Man loves to externalise his dark side.

Oh I know ALL about this.

I see anything from serious mental illness to an interest in heavy metal blamed on demons by those with an intolerant and often damaging religious agenda, so I'm saying no, there's no such thing as demons. I wouldn't rule out ghosts, but some powerful agent of a devil where nobody can make up their mind about what it is so much that it might as well not exist? Nah.

Seeing as we're talking about old Nick himself...

In literature, movies and TV shows about the occult, to summon a demon or Devil, you have to engage in some fairly obscure and arcane ritual, usually involving the blood of a small mammal or a virgin.

So, my question is this; given that Satan, and his servants, should be more than happy that they’ll have some fresh souls to fill the corners of Hell with, why is it so difficult to summon them, when with God, you can just pray…?

Is it just artistic licence to add some sinister gothic charms to stories, or are there actual theological reasons/theories as to why getting in touch with the Prince of Darkness should be so difficult…?

Note: I am aware of the basic differences between Satan/Lucifer/The Devil within Christianity, so I’m assuming it’s just artistic licence, I'm just curious if there's another reason.
Anybody have any ideas...?

Seeing as we're talking about old Nick himself...

In literature, movies and TV shows about the occult, to summon a demon or Devil, you have to engage in some fairly obscure and arcane ritual, usually involving the blood of a small mammal or a virgin.

So, my question is this; given that Satan, and his servants, should be more than happy that they’ll have some fresh souls to fill the corners of Hell with, why is it so difficult to summon them, when with God, you can just pray…?

Is it just artistic licence to add some sinister gothic charms to stories, or are there actual theological reasons/theories as to why getting in touch with the Prince of Darkness should be so difficult…?

Note: I am aware of the basic differences between Satan/Lucifer/The Devil within Christianity, so I’m assuming it’s just artistic licence, I'm just curious if there's another reason.
Anybody have any ideas...?
It's probably because the Devil has his hands full, keeping Hell running. There are more people there than in Heaven.

It's probably because the Devil has his hands full, keeping Hell running. There are more people there than in Heaven.

And Satan always was poor at delegation.

Milton blames that one time he left Baal in charge for a week. They ran out of sulphur and all the sticky tape that got delivered was double sided.

He just couldn't take any chances after that.

from the album " angel of retribution " . my introduction to judas priest came from the british steel lp with songs like " breaking the law " & " living after midnight " being radio mainstays at the time , but when it comes to priest my first thought is the track " you've got another thing coming " always loved that song & even today in my 50's whenever i hear it i crank it up :thrash:

Gotta love the Priest. I wish they would announce their UK tour dates, it's been over a year since the last album came out....

Gotta love the Priest. I wish they would announce their UK tour dates, it's been over a year since the last album came out....

They were supposed to support Ozzy in Feb until he cancelled the tour, supposedly rescheduled for September. Without KK Downing or Glen Tipton though, it's not the Priest we love.

Um, with regard to getting your wildest dreams, I recall reading somewhere that all you need to do is to ask for what you want. Ask, earnestly, and believe that you will be rewarded, and it WILL happen. No crossroads at midnight or contracts signed in blood, just ask with all your heart for what you desire, and the universe will deliver. There was an implied price though.

I imagine that if your request was granted, but you were a non-believer, your (lack of) faith would be shaken. It would suggest that forces beyond our understanding were at work, and if they can influence the world so easily, that perhaps we all have souls, and that the terrible price will eventually be exacted.
That surely has to temper your enjoyment of your earthly pleasures (and we all know that people aren't going to ask for spiritual well-being, they are going to ask for piles of cash, fame and possibly Kelly Brook, delivered bound, gagged and covered in baby oil. Or perhaps that's just me)?

In other words, in order to get what you want, you just have to accept and believe that you have an everlasting soul...but that it will be condemned forever, in order to pay for your desires here now on Earth. Sounds like a no-win situation to me!

It's not exactly my wildest dream but thanks for the advice mate.

Back