• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"Dear David,": Weird Experiences From moby_dickhead

CuriousIdent

Not yet SO old Great Old One
I don't know how many of you may have encountered this already, on your daily trawls through the interwebs, but if not can I draw your attention to this ongoing story of sppoky occurrences from the flat of one Afam Ellis (@moby_dickhead) who far the past few weeks has been posting about a disturbing little boy who appears to be haunting his dreams, and some associated weirdness going on in his flat since that began...

The first post was dated from Aug 7th this year and the story goes as follows:

So, my apartment is currently being haunted by the ghost of a dead child and he's trying to kill me. (thread)

He started appearing in dreams, but I think he's crossed over into the real world now.

The first time I saw him, I was experiencing sleep paralysis and saw a child sitting in the green rocking chair at the foot of my bed.

He had a huge misshapen head that was dented on one side. I did my best to draw it:

DGoynqfXoAAXVl1.jpg

For a while he just stared at me, but then he got out of the chair and started shambling toward the bed.

I couldn't move because I was paralyzed. (I have sleep paralysis fairly often. It sucks.)

Right before he reached my bed, I woke up screaming.

I had another dream a few nights later, where I was in a library and a girl came up to me and said, "You've seen Dear David, haven't you?"

I was like, "Who?" And she said, "Dear David. You saw him."

She continued, "He's dead. He only appears at midnight, and you can ask him two questions if you said 'Dear David' first."

Then she added, "But never try to ask him a third question, or he'll kill you."

I was very shaken! Having two dreams about the same thing is pretty weird. Anyway, a couple weeks passed without incident.

Then, David came back in another dream. Same situation—I was in bed, and he was sitting in the rocking chair near the window, staring at me.

In the dream, I say, "Dear David, how did you die?" He mumbles, "An accident in a store."

I say, "Dear David, what happened in the store?" He groans, "A shelf was pushed on my head."

I'm frozen with fear. I ask, "Who pushed the shelf?" David doesn't answer.

I realize that I've asked a third question, which I'm not supposed to do. At that point, I wake up, absolutely terrified.

The next couple days I google deaths in the city, but can't find anything about a kid named David dying in a store.

I even try different names—Daniel, Dylan, Devon. Nothing. A few weeks go by without incident.

Sort of randomly, the apartment above mine is vacated, and I have the opportunity to move into it. It's a larger apartment, so I'm thrilled.

Another month or two goes by, and I sort of forget about Dear David. I think he lost track of me because I moved upstairs.

But lately, something strange is happening.

For the past 4 nights, my cats gather at the front door at exactly midnight & just stare at it, almost like something is on the other side.

DGozxpRXgAAPp0O.jpg

Last night I got a weird feeling and looked out the peephole, and I'm dead certain I saw movement on the other side.

When I opened the door and turned on the hall light, nothing was there, but my cats seemed unnerved. Bushy tails, etc.

And that's where I am right now. Dear David found me, I think. I don't know what to do. I'll keep you updated.

And to his credit he has. Really quite regularly.

The cays do appear to be doing this every night at what he claims to be the same time. Video of that can be found Here and Here.

Both cats in later posts.

He even ended up drawing some kind of protectional line in Salt around the doorway.

Has anybody else been following this? Could all be bunkem, sure. But to follow this guy going through his paces of instigating the weirdness has been kinda fascinating.

A bit more on this:

In the posts from August the 11th Ellis started using a sleep monitoring sound app on his phone to see if anything cropped up. You know the type? It only records whenever it picks up sounds - the intention being to capture you sleep-talking. Of the 33 clips he's posted a few to soundcloud which could, speculatively, be a footstep or a creak, or a groan.

Snapping sound & Single step

Electric Static

Snap followed by poster's audible groan

He's also taken photos through the peephole in the flat's door:

Here & here

In which he speculates that there might be something out there.

But perhaps the most interesting are the posts from August the 14th

So, a weird thing just happened. Take it with a grain of salt.

I bought a Polaroid camera this weekend, because they're fun and dorky. I decided to take a few photos around my apartment.

Polaroids are stupid and fun, and inherently sort of creepy. I didn't expect to find anything, and for the most part I didn't.

I took a couple of my living room and bedroom (that's the rocking chair I first saw David in). They're pretty unremarkable.

DHKc83YW0AAdOwI.jpg

Then I went into the hallway and snapped a photo.

The Polaroid developed completely black.

DHKdQNBXgAIHKsX.jpg

I even ripped open and destroyed a fresh pack so see if it was just an undeveloped Polaroid, but they start out white.

I also thought maybe I accidentally covered the lens with my finger so I took a photo while intentionally covering it.

The photo on the left is me covering the lens with my finger. The one on the right is my fully lit hallway taken just after midnight.

DHKfIgjXsAIols8.jpg

So this could be nothing. I'm not sure what to make of it.

And to prove that he wasn't just mucking us around he took some video of this. Taking a photo in the flat and then in the hallway.

Each time the hallway photo, where he is sure he's seen *something* comes back as a black polaroid.

Honestly I don't know why I'm still fucking around with this camera. There might be a logical explanation.

Someone told me to take photos from farther away so I tried that. Once with my iPhone and once with the Polaroid.

Left is with my phone. Right is with with Polaroid. The hall light was on both times. Why is it pitch black each time with the Polaroid?

DHKuk2eXUAA4LQh.jpg

DHKuk2yXUAA2K-M.jpg

This whole thread has been really convoluted and I'm sorry if it's hard to follow. I just thought this was all weird and wanted to share.

In posts from the 15th August, Adam attempted to (as advised by other twitter users) burn Sage in the apartment. To ward off spirits or what have you and "saging the hell out of this rocking chair" which David appeared to him in...

Sadly on the 16th:

Sage did not work.

I haven't dreamed about David in a few months, but he appeared again last night.

In the dream, my bedroom was filled with hazy smoke, but I could see David sitting in the chair across the room

He was smaller this time. Almost shrunken. He didn't do or say anything except look at me.

Anyway, it feels like a bad omen.

Too right... I understand from more recentposts that the chair has now been moved out to the Living Room.

I think I'd have moved it out of the house. And set the thing alight!

Brilliant! Almost worth joining Twitter for. ;)

My feeling is that it's a creative construction. To me it looks like part of a new breed of fiction that is part scripted and part interactive, telling a story by using social media as a medium. It's like a novel or a movie, but played out in real time as online followers comment and respond. And, of course, it presents itself as non-fiction. I don't think there's a genre name for this kind of thing yet? Someone else might know more. I know there have been a couple on Facebook - not Fortean-themed I don't think.

I love it though! I love how people are using this technology for something so creative. This guy is a great storyteller. I'll definitely be checking back in to see how it develops.

Of course, I could be wrong and this is the best documented haunting ever...

Thanks for the link CuriousIdent!

Last edited:
Exactly. Could be a fake, but it's fascinating to watch it develop.

Announcing that he'll be going away to Japan on vacation shortly Adam posted that he had purchased one of those motion activated cameras, which can be programmed to send you a message when motion is detected in your dwelling.

In any event, I decided to test it out this weekend. I was away from home one night, so I set up the camera before I left.

My phone pinged periodically through the evening, alerting me to the cats running around and playing. Normal stuff.

Then, around 11, it alerted me again that it detected motion, but when I checked the feed of my apartment, I didn't see anything.

So I watched the feed again. Still nothing. I watched it a third time, and finally noticed something.

Watch the chair. - video link.

I knew it couldn't be the wind, because I haven't had the windows open at all this summer (I have AC and like to keep it chilly).

It was unnerving, but there wasn't anything I could do about it right then, so I flipped my phone off and tried not to panic.

About half an hour later, I got another motion alert.

Here's the feed of that alert. - video link

If you missed it the first time (like me) look above the shelf. It's a little turtle shell that I hung on the wall.

Yes, I know it's weird to own a turtle shell, but my family lives in Montana and I picked it up last year at a native trading post.

Since I've been back home, I've been too nervous to turn the camera back on, and today has been pretty quiet.

That said, I feel really uneasy. I put the chair in the hall.

So a small amount of unusual activity. A rocking chair starts rocking. A turtle shell mounted of the wall comes of it's mounting and falls to the floor.

It's hardly the Black Monk of Pontefracht or the Enfield case, but it's vaguely intersting all the same. :)

Cool story.
About the Polaroid photo, I think there was something over the lens when he took the hallway photo. There seems to be something on the right side of the lens that shouldn't be there. I noticed that someone else pointed this out in the comments.
IMG_0073.PNG

The rocking chair vid, the chair seems to rock but the curved bars dont, unless its my eyes

Yup, they moved, but there is still something off about it

Cool story.
About the Polaroid photo, I think there was something over the lens when he took the hallway photo. There seems to be something on the right side of the lens that shouldn't be there. I noticed that someone else pointed this out in the comments. View attachment 5902

I'm looking at it, but I'm not sure I can tell what you mean. Over the main 'snout' of the camera?

My feeling is that it's a creative construction. To me it looks like part of a new breed of fiction that is part scripted and part interactive, telling a story by using social media as a medium.

A lot of so-called Creepypasta relies on supposedly realness, often with documentation in the form of photography, video etc. This narrative form goes back a long way (such as in epistolary novels). It is usually enjoyed with the understanding that it's fiction, and the titillating possibility that it's not.

That little piece sticking out off the lens. That shouldn't be there. My daughter has this camera and there is nothing there.

BTaGNZH.jpg

Interesting. Could be a trick of the light, but equally could be a slide placed over the lens.

Interesting. Could be a trick of the light, but equally could be a slide placed over the lens.
Or it could be a piece of electrical tape...
IMG_0074.PNG

The guy is a cartoonist and is writing a book. He also works for BuzzFeed. I dunno, just seems like a publicity stunt.

Or it could be a piece of electrical tape...

The guy is a cartoonist and is writing a book. He also works for BuzzFeed. I dunno, just seems like a publicity stunt.

Oh, absolutely. But the pacing of it all has been pretty well done. If it's an intentional hoax it's being done in the right way. Nothing truly melodramatic.

Back