• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Death By Jumper (People Killed By Falling Suicides)

There are statistics that say plenty of people are injured putting on their socks of a morning, so I can well believe a glove mishap.

oldrover said:
No, this was more of your I can't carry out a simple task with something soft without harming myself sort of a thing.

I've never been on a mountaintop though :/

Suicides seriously damaging other people in their final act is more common than you would think. It's not just about falling on top of people.

A pedestrian was killed by a jumper in San Diego.
2 die when man jumps off building, lands on woman walking near Petco Park

A 29-year-old woman was killed Sunday evening in the East Village when an apparently suicidal man jumped off the ninth floor of a parking structure and landed on top of her, San Diego police said.
Authorities identified the victim Monday evening as Taylor Daneen Kahle. She was was walking with a man shortly before 7:25 p.m. when she was hit by the falling man at J Street and Tenth Avenue near Petco Park, police Sgt. Dave Yu said.

The woman was pronounced dead at the scene, Yu said.

According to the county Medical Examiner’s Office, the man who fell on the victim appeared to be in his 20s, and had been observed entering the parking structure and then hanging from the railing of a ninth-floor balcony. Medics took him to UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest, where he died at 8:16 p.m. ...

Kahle’s companion walking next to her was uninjured.

FULL STORY: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...ed-when-l-man-jumps-off-building-lands-on-her

A 61-year-old man was killed by a jumper who fell 12 stories onto him in Yonkers, New York.

2 killed after man jumps from Yonkers building rooftop, lands on person below
Police are investigating an apparent suicide incident that claimed the lives of two people in Yonkers.

According to preliminary information, Yonkers Police say that a distraught 25-year-old man jumped off the roof of a building at 77 Locust Hill Ave shortly before 6 p.m.

They say he fell 12 stories on to the concrete parking garage roof below and struck a 61-year-old man. ...

Both men died at the scene. They have not been identified. ...
FULL STORY: https://abc7ny.com/apparent-suicide-yonkers-man-jumps-from-rooftop-off-roof/11033799/

The infamous Cecil Hotel (in L.A) whilst best known for the unusual death of Elisa Lam and the sometime home of Nightstalker Richard Ramirez, is also known for the 1962 suicide of Pauline Otton who jumped out of a window and landed on 65-year-old George Gianinni on the street below.

I read in a book of crazy news stories about a woman in Hungary ages ago who on hearing her husband wanted to divorce her, jumped from her apartment window in a suicide attempt, landed on him accidentally, killed him, and survived. This would have been in the 1970s, I think. Sounds too good to be true, though.
I remember reading about that case too (although, if I recall correctly, it was in The Sun 'news'paper so..). I would have said early 80s though - unless they dredged up an old story to fill a few column inches?

I too thought it was 'too good to be true'. :roll:

I remember reading about that case too (although, if I recall correctly, it was in The Sun 'news'paper so..). I would have said early 80s though - unless they dredged up an old story to fill a few column inches?

I too thought it was 'too good to be true'. :roll:
Reminds me of the old law school exercise when someone jumps out of a window and is fatally shot from a lower floor, by a man who is threatening his wife with a normally-unloaded pistol which his wife has actually loaded ready to shoot him with.

Students have to untangle the liabilities and blame, eg
- the jumper intended to die
- the shooter didn't mean to kill him
- the wife intended to kill the husband
- the shooter was reckless
- the wife had been chronically abused by her husband
- the jumper might have landed safely on a hay cart in the street below and changed his mind if he wasn't already dead
- the gun was actually faulty and went off on its own
etc

I have to admit that I don't have quite as much sympathy for these suicidal people when they are killing other people at the same time.

Having felt like this pretty much every day of my life and had a few attempts, I have never endangered anyone else.

I know they must be in agony and so desperate to feel it is their only option but I wish they would choose somewhere else where they don't take an innocent life with them.

I have to admit that I don't have quite as much sympathy for these suicidal people when they are killing other people at the same time.

Having felt like this pretty much every day of my life and had a few attempts, I have never endangered anyone else.

I know they must be in agony and so desperate to feel it is their only option but I wish they would choose somewhere else where they don't take an innocent life with them.
I'm sorry you've had such sadness. Can't offer any advice and wouldn't presume to but I do enjoy your posts on'ere.

Glad you are still with us.
Try to think about anything good that happens each day or something no matter how small you can look forward to doing.

I read in a book of crazy news stories about a woman in Hungary ages ago who on hearing her husband wanted to divorce her, jumped from her apartment window in a suicide attempt, landed on him accidentally, killed him, and survived. This would have been in the 1970s, I think. Sounds too good to be true, though.

GENDER STEREOTYPE ALERT
The comedian Alan King used to have a routine that he would perform on talk shows. He would say that women outlived men because women wear their husbands down. To prove it, he would read numerous obituaries out of a recent newspaper that included the phrase "survived by his wife."

For the big finish, he would hand the host a tattered old newspaper clipping and ask him to read it. The story was the same as the one mentioned by GNC above. King would then stand up and shout "SURVIVED BY HIS WIFE!"

Edit: Here's a clip of one of his many performances.

King, by the way, was survived by his wife.

Last edited:
A death by jumper occurred in Budapest on 31 July 2020.
Tragedy! Walking mother killed by suicide attempt in Budapest

A man jumped out of a panel building and fell on a woman who was pushing her baby in a stroller.

The tragedy happened in Budapest’s District 11. According to the police, the man jumped out of the 14th floor with suicidal intent and fell on a woman who was taking a walk with her family. ...

Both the 41-year-old woman and the 42-year-old man suffered such severe injuries that none of them could be saved. ...
FULL STORY: dailynewshungary.com https://dailynewshungary.com/tragedy-walking-mother-killed-by-suicide-attempt-in-budapest/

I recall reading a mainstream news story about just such a 'death by jumper' some years ago. If I'm not mistaken it was in Eastern Europe; I want to say Czechoslovakia.
This particular variant on death-by-jumper (jumper landing on the person responsible for his / her wishing to die) has indeed appeared as a mainstream news story. However, it seems this story is an urban legend - at least until someone can locate an instance confirming the jumper-killing-the-killjoy variant.

In the mean time ... The Czech version of the story quoted in this 2001 Snopes article matches the location and timeframe in which I recall first encountering this story.
Did a Woman Fall Upon and Kill Her Husband in a Suicide Attempt?
The story goes that she was disconsolate upon learning her husband was leaving the marriage to pursue another relationship.
Snopes Staff; Published 22 July 2001

Claim
A disconsolate abandoned wife tries to end it all by jumping out the apartment window; she accidentally lands on her errant husband and kills him but walks away unscathed.

Rating
Legend ...

... Who lands on whom and what prompts the dive changes from tale to tale. Sometimes it’s a brokenhearted wife, and when it is, she lands on her husband or on both her errant hubby and his mistress. Sometimes the male half of the couple does the jumping, and in those cases he splats his cheating wife. The jumper can also be a recently-fired man who wipes out the boss who canned him. No matter whom the story is told about, the ending is the same: the one trying to off himself survives, while the one responsible for the jumper’s despondency is killed.

Origins: Although likely nothing more than a wish-fulfillment fantasy, this legend has appeared as a real news story from time to time:

[Train, 1978] PRAGUE — Vera Czernak jumped out of her third-story window when she learned her husband had betrayed her.
Mrs. Czernak is recovering in hospital after landing on her husband, who was killed, the newspaper Vecerni Pravha reported today.
FULL STORY: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fallen-angel/

May have been a suicide jumper.

Two men died when one of them jumped or fell from the seventh floor of a culture centre in Sweden and landed on the other, police said.

The 80-year-old man who crashed into the lobby of the Uppsala Konsert & Kongress venue on Tuesday night died at the scene north of Stockholm, and the 60-year-old man he struck died later, police said. A woman who was with the 60-year-old man was hurt but her injuries were not considered life-threatening, police said.

A tribute concert to the two male members of Abba, Bjorn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson, had been scheduled at the culture centre on Tuesday night, but the event was cancelled, according to Swedish media.

Abba tweeted on Wednesday that it was holding off on the release of the band’s promotional concert trailer until Thursday in light “of the tragic news at the tribute concert in Sweden last night”.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40736154.html

Back