Death By Television: The Jeremy Kyle Show

GNC

King-Sized Canary
The Jeremy Kyle Show has been suspended after a victim, sorry, guest, committed suicide shortly after appearing on the programme:
News story

Reportedly the dead man was inconsolable after a lie detector test said he was lying about his relationship. Which is outrageous enough, but who the hell relies on lie detectors to prove anything with any seriousness? They're pure pseudoscience, this guy could have been telling the truth and it still said he was lying. I know these are entertainment programmes, but people killing themselves isn't very entertaining.

Newt

Devoted Cultist
@GNC True.

But I don't think that should be a reason to legally curtail the rights of those people.

If non vulnerable people are allowed to go on TV and make dicks of themselves, so called vulnerable people should be allowed to do likewise.

And although I'd rather not discuss myself, there is no doubt that I would come under the designation 'vulnerable' for a number of reasons. Including mental health.

Tempest63

Devoted Cultist
It’s voyeuristic and focuses on other people’s misery. Not what I call entertainment. And now someone has purportedly killed himself because of their pseudoscience.
Yes it is cheap to produce so it’s making money, again because of other people’s unhappiness.
You enjoy it if it floats your boat.

bakelite brain

Junior Acolyte
Not sure about this. (Actually I think I probably am...)

Those who appear on the show volunteer to appear. They will (or should) have seen previous shows so they know what they're letting themselves in for. They are adults. OK, many are not the sharpest knives in the draw, and they are not given an intelligence test before they appear! (But maybe they should?)

Yes, it indeed is dragging those who've had a difficult background and/or of limited intelligence, in front of the nation for the rest of us to gaup and laugh at. Maybe it's surprising this hasn't happened earlier - although it's easy to be wise after the event. I'm sure that looking to other countries might have helped here...

But I'm not convinced anyone can ever be held responsible for the irrational actions of another person.

Of course what s missing here is anything from the bereaved family.

Last edited:

dr wu

Doctor Prog
There were several shows like this on in the US years ago.....that routinely poked fun and had a go at people on the stage.
I think one was with Geraldo Rivera , one with Jerry Springer...., and an old one with Morton Downey Jr....?

DrPaulLee

Abominable Snowman
And I bet they participants have signed a disclaimer so that they can't instigate legal action if, heaven forbid, the lie detector is proven to be wrong.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Soon after these shows hit the screen, there was a scandal, when it was revealed that the participants were, in the main, drama-school types, chavving-it-up for the cameras. The production companies promised to tighten their audition process to ensure that participants were authentically challenged and damaged types.

I have seen only the odd clip on Youtube but it always seemed phony balony, hyped to the hilt. I was startled and saddened to read that this gladiatorial horror-show had a real casualty. RIP.

brownmane

Ephemeral Spectre
I don't remember the name if the talk show (female host), but a "guest" committed suicide after being outed on national tv. The talk show was cancelled. I think this happened 15-20 years ago. So, unfortunately not the first time for something like this to happen.

Newt

Devoted Cultist
It’s voyeuristic and focuses on other people’s misery. Not what I call entertainment. And now someone has purportedly killed himself because of their pseudoscience.
Yes it is cheap to produce so it’s making money, again because of other people’s unhappiness.
You enjoy it if it floats your boat.
Those are not good enough reasons to label someone 'vulnerable' and then take away the right that everyone else has, to fk up their lives their way.

Also no reason to label a whole bunch of people as 'unwashed' because they watch a tv show that you dislike.

dr wu

Doctor Prog
And I bet they participants have signed a disclaimer so that they can't instigate legal action if, heaven forbid, the lie detector is proven to be wrong.
Yes...I would think any of these types of show would require a legal disclaimer to be signed....I can't imagine not having people sign them if you were going to expose their troubles on the air.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Wow...

The nanny police state in action.

Shall I shut up nicely now, because you told me to, and I'm just a dirty girl who watches crap TV?
I think that was an attempt to avoid an argument, not an instruction to shut up.

Let's disagree amicably if possible, please.

pandacracker

Ephemeral Spectre
After the death of someone who was on "Love Island" (I think) I read a (Guardian) article about these reality programmes.
There was something about the amount of aftercare that the programme makers could/should/do provide to the participants.

I was left wondering about what sort of society produces entertainment that needs to consider such aftercare.

brownmane

Ephemeral Spectre
After the death of someone who was on "Love Island" (I think) I read a (Guardian) article about these reality programmes.
There was something about the amount of aftercare that the programme makers could/should/do provide to the participants.

I was left wondering about what sort of society produces entertainment that needs to consider such aftercare.
Too true

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
The modern equivalent of tours around the Bedlams.
Definitely.

And if people just switched off, stopped watching and participating then there would be no show. If viewers in general decided to ditch watching the channel or its parent channel, that would also have the same effect.

Maybe even decide to turn off the TV entirely.

We have some power here.

It all depends whether we have enough willpower to ditch watching 'Celebrity Love Dancing Strictly In the Jungle On Ice Brother' et al.

I have but I'm also regarded as a bit odd, which is fine by me... a good book, a decent message board, BBC Radio and some Doctor Who re-runs and maybe a bit of Ray Mears & Sky At Night and I'm quite a happy cup & saucer :)

dr wu

Doctor Prog
I hate to get political...but one wonders if these 'trash' show watchers are the same people who voted for 'Drumpf'....they love a good train wreck.

;)