Death By Television: The Jeremy Kyle Show

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I watched every episode of Big Brother when it was on Channel 4 (I had little better to do, all right?!) and when a contestant was obviously in a bad way and unsuited to the programme, they got them out of there pronto. Like BB, the other daytime talk/discussion shows seem to have fallen by the wayside. It's a pity Kyle's programme takes this to get it off the air, but maybe it was past its sell-by, to put it mildly.

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
On the surface a useful show for people who usually don't have easy access to counselling to help them resolve trauma and conflict.

Probe a little deeper and it's a carnival sideshow which caters to the crueller aspects of human nature with voyeurism and sneering superiority encouraged in the audience, (the same superiority which is quite common on this MB these days).

I do find it ironic that media/sound-byte Psychologists have been rolled out to slag off the show and are calling for more regulations.

These same types of Psychologists have been whoring themselves on the media for years and should take some of the blame for this type of show being on the air.

Last edited:

PeteS

Seeking refuge
I watched 2 minutes (that's all I could stand) of a very earnest 30 something whose company provide psychological/counselling/psychiatric services to participants on these type of shows (but not Kyle). There's some sort of support offered but I suspect some lip service going on with it . Clearly there's a load of money making industry hanging on to these shows as well. My view is that if psychological help is necessary to appear on a tellybox programme it should not be allowed.
On a general note though I find it wholly unfathomable as to why so many people want 15 minutes of tv fame, whether it's on a game, travel or look at me show. I must be in a minority.

The modern equivalent of tours around the Bedlams.
Or The Circus Maximus, or Bear Baiting: as a Judge compared it after an assault on the programme. I'm amazed that it took so long for something like this to happen. My guess is that there have many suicides by "guests" post-Kyle where appearing on there may have been a factor - perhaps an accelerant, rather than an originator; but this is the first so close to an appearance.

As has been said above, the bulk of the guests probably come under some definition of "vulnerable" - let's call this what it is: poor, marginalised, poorly educated, congenitally unintelligent, mental ill and liable to poor decision making as a result. I am not saying that they all fit into all of those descriptors, just that most fit into most of them. I am not saying that all poor or marginalised people are like that either, no am I saying that people who fit the stereotype are bad people, though of course, some undoubtedly are, on the other hand some will be decent and good despite life dealing them a shittier hand than most.

I read The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson, I daresay many here have. In it he interviews a woman who wishes to remain anonymous who worked behind the scenes on a British TV programme that sounds an awful lot like Kyle. It was her job to take calls from potential "guests", vet them and then groom the ones who were "suitable", this involved repeatedly calling them back in the lead up to the appearance to make sure that they come on - they got their expenses paid but nothing else. Not in so many words, she was told that they wanted people who were unstable enough to break down or become aggressive but not enough so that they might harm themselves or others afterwards, who wants to get sued? She worked out that the quickest way to do this was to ask what meds they were on and then google them, anti-depressants where OK, anti-psychs were not. They also goad the participants reminding them of whatever the opposite party has said and one, this continues on set, with staff feeding back lines people have said: "she said X about you/he's just said Y, what do you think of that?"

Ultimately the people who appear were free to do so and unless someone is unwell or unable to point of having a guardian, you can't prevent them from appearing and they are as free to humiliate themselves as anyone else, however, presumably we want to live in a society where we place at least some value on people, difficult as this may be at times. These programme makers are despicable and in an ideal world these programmes would not exist, or, they'd actually genuinely about reconciliation and recovery not "laughing at mongs" which is what they are, however they may be dressed up.

Cochise

Antediluvian
I have a confession to make. I often have Judge Judy on in the afternoon, especially if the weather is bad. It's a much less confrontational set-up, but some of the people who get on seem to be so lacking that you wonder how they survived long enough to get on the show.

Why do I have it on? When I'm working from home it is dead quiet here and I like the chatter in the background. It's not interesting enough to be distracting, and not so awful it gets me annoyed. And unlike a record I don't have to get up every 20 minutes to turn it over. In the summer I have cricket instead.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
I adore Judge Judy, if only we had more straightforward Judges like her.
I knew one of the families on JK, right bunch of druggies and crazy MFs, and what they talked about on there was mild, a theft, i believe, jeez, anyone of the family could have done it. When all said and done, these people do choose to go on there, they are adults, should we treat them as less than that, even if they do have problems, I am sure people would go crazy at you if you tried to suppress their free will, wouldn't they?

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
When all said and done, these people do choose to go on there, they are adults, should we treat them as less than that, even if they do have problems, I am sure people would go crazy at you if you tried to suppress their free will, wouldn't they?
THIS!

Cochise

Antediluvian
I adore Judge Judy, if only we had more straightforward Judges like her.
I knew one of the families on JK, right bunch of druggies and crazy MFs, and what they talked about on there was mild, a theft, i believe, jeez, anyone of the family could have done it. When all said and done, these people do choose to go on there, they are adults, should we treat them as less than that, even if they do have problems, I am sure people would go crazy at you if you tried to suppress their free will, wouldn't they?
I wasn't saying people shouldn't go on, just that sometimes you wonder how a supposedly sentient human being can put forward the arguments that some of them do - a quite common one is 'The accident wasn't my fault even though I was driving and hit a mailbox/utility pole/fire hydrant because the car doesn't belong to me - I borrowed it'

And yes I like Judge Judy herself - she has a wicked sense of humour as well as being 99% right. (No one gets things 100% right)

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
I wasnt having a go at you Cochise, honest dear, I think I tend to agree with you 99.95%* of the time

You know who I feel sorry for?, the children, some of them have to be brought up by these screaming harpies, and that's just some of the men.

maybe more :D

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
A friend of mine used to be a police officer and a family of local chavs from her 'beat' went on jk. They told her the tv company paid for travel, the hotel, meals, and sent them all out on the piss the night before so they'd be hungover and rough went they went to record the next morning.

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
I have a confession to make. I often have Judge Judy on in the afternoon, especially if the weather is bad. It's a much less confrontational set-up, but some of the people who get on seem to be so lacking that you wonder how they survived long enough to get on the show.

Why do I have it on? When I'm working from home it is dead quiet here and I like the chatter in the background. It's not interesting enough to be distracting, and not so awful it gets me annoyed. And unlike a record I don't have to get up every 20 minutes to turn it over. In the summer I have cricket instead.
Judge rinder is not too bad either. These shows are calmer than the likes of jk, and theres a definitive conclusion. Christmas editions of judge rinder are fun- it's a children's court ('she broke my toy and said she didn't')

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
The main difference between Kyle and previous talk show hosts is that Kyle frequently acts as moral arbiter.

The likes of Springer or Ricki Lake would act as ringmasters, allowing guests to say their piece and asking clarifying questions. Often of course the audience would get overexcited and start booing and jeering.

Kyle however frequently shouts over his guests, telling them he thinks they're lousy parents or partners or workshy layabouts.

Even if the guest leaves the stage Kyle will often chase them down the studio corridors continuing to berate them.

As for lie detectors, I've seen studies rating their accuracy as low as 65%.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
l’ve just had a look at Wikipedia. The JK show has broadcast 3,320 episodes, and has been linked to one suicide that followed someone’s appearance on the programme.

l can’t be arsed to do the maths, but l’d suspect that there’s an argument to be made that appearance on the JK show helped to prevent suicide.

My strong suspicion is that bien pensants at ITV didn’t like JK’s exposure of the UK’s feral underbelly, and used the death as a golden excuse to pull a widely-viewed programme.

maximus otter

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
The weirdest thing about this story is the context - from what I can gather, an unfaithful partner went on the show to prove he hadn't been cheating. And was then shocked to the point of suicide when the lie detector showed he had been.

The weirdest thing about this story is the context - from what I can gather, an unfaithful partner went on the show to prove he hadn't been cheating. And was then shocked to the point of suicide when the lie detector showed he had been.
Lie detectors are unreliable enough to not be admissible in UK courts, he may well have been innocent of cheating.

brownmane

Abominable Snowman
The likes of Springer or Ricki Lake would act as ringmasters, allowing guests to say their piece and asking clarifying questions. Often of course the audience would get overexcited and start booing and jeering.
I know of two people who were in a Springer audience. They knew prior to the show, people are chosen for the front seats. The people chosen have to wave their arms in the air, make OTT facial expressions, yell, and anything else to make it look like they are responding to the content of the show. They got the front row.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
I know of two people who were in a Springer audience. They knew prior to the show, people are chosen for the front seats. The people chosen have to wave their arms in the air, make OTT facial expressions, yell, and anything else to make it look like they are responding to the content of the show. They got the front row.
Says it all. Glad that it's gone.

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
I was in the ricki lake audience nearly 20 years ago on a trip to new York. Me and my friend actually chose to do this instead of going to see a Broadway show.

You have to remember RL was never as bad as jerry Springer, but it was the same format.

Like all live audiences we were warmed up before hand, and like above, we were seated where the producers wanted, I suppose so the demographic was nicely mixed, but it was weird.

The subject of the episode was something to do with people who stripped online for money. Sounds tame now but 20 years ago this was fairly wild.

What I can remember is the guests were not condemned by RL or the audience, it was all quite polite.

One of the girls dad was there to speak against what his daughter was doing. Wearing his best bib and braces and plaid shirt he was everybit the disapproving Hill billy father. When in the pauses between recording (there were many) he was very different. Funny, lighthearted, appreciating it was all very silly. I think they were genuine people but it was of course all over exaggerated.

Anyway that's my claim to tv fame. Never actually saw the episode on TV myself.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I was in the ricki lake audience nearly 20 years ago on a trip to new York. Me and my friend actually chose to do this instead of going to see a Broadway show.

You have to remember RL was never as bad as jerry Springer, but it was the same format.

Like all live audiences we were warmed up before hand, and like above, we were seated where the producers wanted, I suppose so the demographic was nicely mixed, but it was weird.

The subject of the episode was something to do with people who stripped online for money. Sounds tame now but 20 years ago this was fairly wild.

What I can remember is the guests were not condemned by RL or the audience, it was all quite polite.

One of the girls dad was there to speak against what his daughter was doing. Wearing his best bib and braces and plaid shirt he was everybit the disapproving Hill billy father. When in the pauses between recording (there were many) he was very different. Funny, lighthearted, appreciating it was all very silly. I think they were genuine people but it was of course all over exaggerated.

Anyway that's my claim to tv fame. Never actually saw the episode on TV myself.
Ricki Lake and Montel Williams were never that bad. All the bad stuff started with Jerry Springer.

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
Ricki Lake and Montel Williams were never that bad. All the bad stuff started with Jerry Springer.
Having just gone to the youtube to see if I could find 'my' episode I realised there was a hell of a lot these programmes - Montel, as you say, Jenny Jones, Sally Jessie Raphael, Dr Phil. And that's just the americans!

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
And let's not forget Robert Kilroy Silk!

Trisha and Vanessa I always found a tad bland.

Trisha used to be filmed at the now defunct ITV Norwich studios just down the road from where I lived.

The show would often send touts to stand outside Norwich job centre giving away free audience tickets to the people going to sign on.