Death By Television: The Jeremy Kyle Show

Ogdred Weary

No Lives Matter
Reaction score
Isn't it a bit elitist to deprive the working class of their entertainment?

Only kidding.
Glad this nasty little program has been ditched, but why is the truly repugnant "Love Island" which has driven two contestants to suicide in the last two years still going ahead?
Tits, innit.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
More Jeremy Kyle guests have killed themselves:
Depressing report

This is starting to look like the tip of the iceberg, though I hope there's no more, this is bad enough.
An interesting comment:

[B]Maajid - (Mājid) [maːʤɪd] ماجد[/B]‏Verified account @[B]MaajidNawaz[/B]
FollowingFollowing @MaajidNawaz
More
Amid all this talk of debating racism on @SkyNews@ThePledge I reiterate my point made to @NickFerrariLBC about why almost all participants on the now axed #JeremyKyle show were white: the white working class is the last faction that society finds it acceptable to openly mock.
6:32 PM - 18 May 2019

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
The trouble is, appearing on TV looks easy when it's not. People turn up thinking it'll be a breeze and they especially believe they're there to put a point across rather than be made a spectacle of. They think they'll be able to handle it.

The ex and I once went on the Kilroy show and it was a revelation. We soon sussed out exactly how important we were in the scheme of things.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
It seems they are blaming the show, they should have done this and they should have done that, no, you shouldn't have gone on there for £50 and expenses, you knew your wife was not able to go on there, you yourselves should have stopped it

I am sorry, but again, they are adults, they know what they are doing, they have seen the show, take responsibility for your own lives.

So Jeremy gave the son the opportunity to rehabilitate, he screws up and gets kicked off, and that is Kyles fault?

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
An interesting comment:

[B]Maajid - (Mājid) [maːʤɪd] ماجد[/B]‏Verified account @[B]MaajidNawaz[/B]
FollowingFollowing @MaajidNawaz
More
Amid all this talk of debating racism on @SkyNews@ThePledge I reiterate my point made to @NickFerrariLBC about why almost all participants on the now axed #JeremyKyle show were white: the white working class is the last faction that society finds it acceptable to openly mock.
6:32 PM - 18 May 2019
We've been saying the same thing for years. The word 'chav' was banned round here about thirty seconds after I first heard it.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Heard a discussion of this on R4 t'other day, where it was stated that the lie detector tests are often indeterminate. In this case the producer decides whether it's a yes or a no.

So someone who is already relying on a dodgy discredited pseudo-scientific gimmick can be publicly called a liar in a split-second decision made by a producer who will naturally prefer the most anguished response. That's dishonest and exploitative.

Reaction score
In this case the producer decides whether it's a yes or a no.
I often wonder who does the DNA testing for them, and if in certain cases they just don't bother because a producer thinks it might make better television if the results go a certain way.
They could be flipping a coin backstage to save costs on actual testing for all we know.

Ogdred Weary

No Lives Matter
Reaction score
Imho there are chavs but it's more a state of mind, crosses class boundaries.
A guy a know from the demographic background most likely to be labelled "chavs" uses the term freely, I think partially as a way of disassociating himself with his past and upbringing. He uses it as a way to denote certain anti-social behaviours and worldviews, rather than a social class. I'm in partial agreement, though it is to the poor white British people what "nigger" et al are to ethnic minorities.

AmCuriousNJ

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Heard a discussion of this on R4 t'other day, where it was stated that the lie detector tests are often indeterminate. In this case the producer decides whether it's a yes or a no.

So someone who is already relying on a dodgy discredited pseudo-scientific gimmick can be publicly called a liar in a split-second decision made by a producer who will naturally prefer the most anguished response. That's dishonest and exploitative.
For anyone interested, here's the web link for a video/podcast from a few years ago, about the unreliability of Polygraph tests (AKA lie detector tests):

(Just edited to add: I posted the web link, but the actual YouTube video posted instead of just the web link being posted.)

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
I do find it difficult to believe that appearance on the show was wholly and directly responsible for these deaths, but it was a horrid programme, Kyle I found to be revolting, and it's a benefit to all that it's gone.

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
The trouble is, appearing on TV looks easy when it's not. People turn up thinking it'll be a breeze and they especially believe they're there to put a point across rather than be made a spectacle of. They think they'll be able to handle it.

The ex and I once went on the Kilroy show and it was a revelation. We soon sussed out exactly how important we were in the scheme of things.
Ms petes was hounded by TV channels and the press to discuss a certain here today gone tomorrow issue in which she had become involved. Since it involved a fairly important point regarding the elderly and some hangers on celebrities had attached themselves to the matter, she agreed to appear. Fortunately she spelled out to the interviewer beforehand exactly what questions she would not answer and what information she would discuss and nothing else. Interviewer was clearly deflated somewhat, and it was obvious he wanted the discussion to go only one way. Pah - I could have warned him :)

DrPaulLee

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I agree, TV producers want to push an agenda. I once appeared on TV and I was told afterwards they wanted to paint me and others with a similar interest in a bad light. And this was patently obvious when the show was broadcast.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I agree, TV producers want to push an agenda. I once appeared on TV and I was told afterwards they wanted to paint me and others with a similar interest in a bad light. And this was patently obvious when the show was broadcast.
A band video I'd been in was once broadcast on TV's The Word hosted by Terry Christian .. a few years after I'd left college, only one of us had any actual musical talent so we'd only formed the band for a laugh ..

I got a phone call from an excited old mate, he'd told me he'd submitted and we'd been accepted to be broadcast. A woman from channel 4 had travelled by a taxi from London to Nuneaton to his house and would I also sign a contract? .. The Word was made by a company called Planet 24 which was owned by Johnathon Ross.

I'd never signed an official looking contract in my life but my Dad had so I showed it to him. My Dad told me that there was a clause in which basically said 'if we broadcast your stuff and someone complains and says you've ripped them off and it goes to court for any silly reason at all, you have to pay all the costs whatever the outcome' ..

My Dad told me to draw a box around that part of the contract, cross hatch pencil through it and sign the top left and bottom right hand corners of the box to show that I didn't agree to that part.

... so someone called Paula from Planet 24 phoned me at my parent's home to tell me our video couldn't be broadcast unless I agreed to everything on it .. my reply over the phone to her (because I didn't really give a shit about something I'd done years ago being on telly unless I was going to be paid which I wasn't going to be because Paula hadn't offered to pay me/us anything) was:

"That's a shame Paula, I expect you've put a lot of work into this but to be honest, I haven't even seen the others in years and if they're stupid enough to not notice that part of the contract then that's their problem. Would you like me to speak to your boss?"

So our video was broadcast ... in a section titled 'BURST OF THE WORST' which we hadn't been pre warned was going to happen. I felt sorry for some of the other bands that got a roughly 20 seconds of fame moment because they looked like they weren't just taking the piss which we most definitely were. 'BURST OF THE WORST' wasn't written anywhere on my contract. Wankers.

I've still got that contract somewhere which I can take pics of if you're still reading this and interested at all? ..

(our band in '91) edit: I'm the blonde bloke

RBFC3.jpg

Last edited:

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
A band video I'd been in was once broadcast on TV's The Word hosted by Terry Christian .. a few years after I'd left college, only one of us had any actual musical talent so we'd only formed the band for a laugh ..

I got a phone call from an excited old mate, he'd told me he'd submitted and we'd been accepted to be broadcast. A woman from channel 4 had travelled by a taxi from London to Nuneaton to his house and would I also sign a contract? .. The Word was made by a company called Planet 24 which was owned by Johnathon Ross.

I'd never signed an official looking contract in my life but my Dad had so I showed it to him. My Dad told me that there was a clause in which basically said 'if we broadcast your stuff and someone complains and says you've ripped them off and it goes to court for any silly reason at all, you have to pay all the costs whatever the outcome' ..

My Dad told me to draw a box around that part of the contract, cross hatch pencil through it and sign the top left and bottom right hand corners of the box to show that I didn't agree to that part.

... so someone called Paula from Planet 24 phoned me at my parent's home to tell me our video couldn't be broadcast unless I agreed to everything on it .. my reply over the phone to her (because I didn't really give a shit about something I'd done years ago being on telly unless I was going to be paid which I wasn't going to be because Paula hadn't offered to pay me/us anything) was:

"That's a shame Paula, I expect you've put a lot of work into this but to be honest, I haven't even seen the others in years and if they're stupid enough to not notice that part of the contract then that's their problem. Would you like me to speak to your boss?"

So our video was broadcast ... in a section titled 'BURST OF THE WORST' which we hadn't been pre warned was going to happen. I felt sorry for some of the other bands that got a roughly 20 seconds of fame moment because they looked like they weren't just taking the piss which we most definitely were. 'BURST OF THE WORST' wasn't written anywhere on my contract. Wankers.

I've still got that contract somewhere which I can take pics of if you're still reading this and interested at all? ..

(our band in '91) edit: I'm the blonde bloke

View attachment 17703
I wonder how many would have simply signed the contract simply to get their few seconds of fame. I've been shown contracts for all sorts of stuff which I wouldn't have touched with a bargepole. A handful I've managed to stop people signing, usual response being "Oh I didn't realise that"

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I wonder how many would have simply signed the contract simply to get their few seconds of fame. I've been shown contracts for all sorts of stuff which I wouldn't have touched with a bargepole. A handful I've managed to stop people signing, usual response being "Oh I didn't realise that"
Yup .. the way my Dad put it was " .. so if some nutter runs into the TV studio a week later, shoots a load of people and says your band was the reason for it .. you'll have to pay all the court costs."

PeteS

Seeking refuge
Reaction score
Annoyingly so sometimes but then that's your average father/son relationship ..
Yep, I'm sure my two regard me as annoyingly sensible.... or perhaps just annoying.