• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Deathbed Phenomena (Visions, Premonitions, etc.)

A friend died in hospital with his son at his bedside, according to his son he just said "I have had enough now" closed is eyes and died.

On another occasion we were sitting in the house, a nice sommers day no wind back door was open, out of nowhere a big gust of wind just one it was such a shock we both said "what the f was that" I looked at the clock 4:25, day after we got a call a friends daughter saying her mother had passed away the day before, at 4:30.

A friend died in hospital with his son at his bedside, according to his son he just said "I have had enough now" closed is eyes and died.

That's hoe Manny Shinwell (former cabinet minister) went, had a glass of Whisky, said I've had enough and died. He was 101.

Anyway the trigger for this post is that an Airbnb guest who was here yesterday told me - without prompting or knowledge of my interest in these things - of what happened at his late wife's deathbed. I could hardly put it under It Happened To Me, but its the first time anyone has personally told me of experiencing one particular variey of these phenomena which until now i've only ever read about

His wife died cancer at the young age of 41, more than 15 years ago. It was a grey dark rainy February afternoon and she died in her hospital bed. By his account at the moment of death he felt pins and needles go up his arm and the room was suddenly filled with light. He said it was like someone had switched a light on in the centre of the room. It last about 10 seconds, and he never told anyone about it for a long time.

I've told the above quoted story of my guest and the room of his wife's death bed filling with light a number of times,but there's one element of the story - the "pins and needles going up his arm" - which i kind of brace myself for someone to seize on as evidence of the light being a symptom of some kind of neurological issue with the husband himself. Perhaps a grief-induced pre-heart attack of some such. No one has but i often suspect they're thinking it. So i was kind of shocked when watching the documentary "The Life After Death Project Part 2" on Amazon last night to see a hospice doctor, John Serma, (at 9minutes 45 seconds into it) recounting these end of life phenomena and describing exactly what my guest experienced (weirdly ive seen this documentary before and have no recollection of noticing this detail). I can't post the documentary itself but have transcribed his words below. Relevant part in bold.

"Nurses are walking into the room in the middle of the night, just as they're taking their last breath, many of them will mention they see a light..like a smoke...er..not such an intense light but a white light protruding and exuding from the mouth and moving upwards towards the ceiling. They would see light emanating from just under the door and when they open it it would disappear. Temperature changes in the room. Usually..uh..not cold, usually a very lukewarm type environment, a very comfortable environment per se. AND PROBABLY THE MOST COMMON ONE WAS AN ELECTROSTATIC TYPE CHARGE IN THE ROOM. THEY WOULD, YOU KNOW THE HAIR ON THEIR ARMS WOULD STAND (Serma runs his hand up the lenght of his arm as he describes this) MUCH LIKE ANY ELECTROSTATIC CHARGE. THERE WAS NO, MOST OF THOSE TIMES THERE WERE NO WEATHER CHANGES, NO ELECTRICAL STORM GOING ON. AND I, I WAS ALWAYS SCEPTICAL, SO I'D ALWAYS SAY WELL THERE PROBABLY WAS AN ELECTRICAL STORM, OR SOMETHING'S GOING ON IN THAT ROOM. BUT ONE DAY I WAS IN THE ROOM AND THAT HAPPENED, WITH OTHER NURSES AND SURE ENOUGH (repeats motion up his arm) THE HAIRS STARTED STANDING AND YOU FEEL WARM. AND THEN YOU LOOK AT THE PATIENT AS THEY'RE TAKING THEIR LAST BREATH AND THEY'RE...SMILING!"

Back