• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I think it's possible - at any rate, it is for me - to interpret the sea/lake as a wall which rises vertically at the treeline, rather than as an expanse of water that continues beyond the frame of the photo along the same horizontal plane as the land.

Yes, and I got the 'wall of water' first then struggled to interpret it correctly.

GyIB3fm.jpg

The real reason is that this was taken very far away with a very long tele lens.

Everything in the image is relatively close to each other compared to the distance to the camera which makes the whole scene appear flat, or compressed as it’s usually called.

It’s a compressed perspective shot taken from a high vantage point which is why you’re not seeing the horizon, but the effect is mostly due to the perspective compression.

Source:
https://metro.co.uk/2016/07/11/this-picture-of-floating-boats-will-play-with-your-mind-5999265/amp/

I would add that the variations in boat size destroy the apparent reductions in size that assist the eye in judging distance--and indeed relative distance.

Re op: it's not what it is but it reminds me of the jccac in Hong Kong, an old housing estate with courtyard that has been roofed over

GOD-Gallery-04_zps28d87b23.jpg

I'd be most grateful if somebody could explain clearly what this photograph shows. I am unable to distinguish which things seem large because they are near and which appear small beause they are farther away. I know only that it's 'a hotel' but my mind keeps telling me it's a miniature set. I'm not even able to cleadly articulate why it is confusing. Even the clues seem like red herrings: is that a radio on a desk or an air-conditioning extractor fan on a giant room?

View attachment 9100
It is the condenser unit on a split air conditioning unit (or a model) made by Daiken. The other half that pumps out the cold air will be inside the room, the door to which is below. This indicates it is outside of any structure as it would contribute to raising the internal temperature of a building.

The scale of this definitely eluded me at first.
This is just utterly insane...it looks like a 1/12th scale model and an altered video playback speed. But in reality, it is beyond totally massive.

I thought the spoiler was going to say the grass was an hedge.
I asked my wife to look and she saw the wall straight off - I wonder if I would have if I hadn't read your lead in.
Must be a female thing!
Just showed the photo to my wife and she said "Don't get it - It's just a wall" straight away.

Agree.

I would add that although a little scrutiny shows the angles don't work, those dirty vertical lines on the wall hint at being shadows on the surface of the spurious water.
Yes, definitely.

Agree.

I would add that although a little scrutiny shows the angles don't work, those dirty vertical lines on the wall hint at being shadows on the surface of the spurious water.
I thought that by looking at the topmost part of the 'wall,' it appears to be far too fuzzy, which seems to push it into having a more distant perspective - isn't a clear and sharp photograph by any means!
The downward marks upon the surface of the 'wall' must be down to rain water marks.

Is it a coincidence or photo manipulation that those water lines or whatever they are, exactly line up with the bushes? So that it looks like reflections in water?

I STILL struggle to see 'wall', even though I read the spoiler. My brain saw 'water' first, and it doesn't want to let go of the idea - which is my problem with a lot of these pictures. Once I've seen what I think I've seen, I can't unsee it.

Is it a coincidence or photo manipulation that those water lines or whatever they are, exactly line up with the bushes? So that it looks like reflections in water?

I STILL struggle to see 'wall', even though I read the spoiler. My brain saw 'water' first, and it doesn't want to let go of the idea - which is my problem with a lot of these pictures. Once I've seen what I think I've seen, I can't unsee it.
And. . . why is that bag either pinned to the 'wall,' or hanging on that tree?
1702717414352.png

Last edited:
Back