• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I'd be most grateful if somebody could explain clearly what this photograph shows. I am unable to distinguish which things seem large because they are near and which appear small beause they are farther away. I know only that it's 'a hotel' but my mind keeps telling me it's a miniature set. I'm not even able to properly articulate why it is confusing. Even the clues seem like red herrings: is that a radio on a desk or an air-conditioning extractor fan on a giant room?

fGjay5Z.jpg

Last edited:
Thank the Lord, I have been shown a photograph from a reverse angle that reveals all.

62430696.jpg

I was beginning to think the first photo was of an elaborate scale (architectural?) model until I saw the second photo.

I think it's the mystery grey box ('radio') in the first photo that made me question the scale.

I was beginning to think the first photo was of an elaborate scale (architectural?) model until I saw the second photo.

I think it's the mystery grey box ('radio') in the first photo that made me question the scale.

That threw me, too. I was told it was an extactor unit--which means larger but farther--but I've only ever seen those on the outside of buildings. It seems to be an extractor for the lift/elevator shaft or the maintenance building behind it.

Last edited:
The beige and lime green colour scheme is very late 60's/early 70's .. it would make a good set for a grindhouse or retro Bond film. I wonder what's inside the large beige structure ?.

My first thought was that it looks very much like a building I used to work in - which, as James W puts it - was also not unlike 'a prison sponsored by a carpet company'. :)

Second thought: it looks like a videogame where the level designer has failed to make the floor texture fit properly!

Once you clock the door beneath the 'radio' and the staircase at bottom right it all makes a bit more sense, but it's still an odd looking space. I don't think I'd find it a cozy setting in which to enjoy my prawn cocktail & chicken in a basket.

Last edited:
It looks like it's set up for a wedding - what a beautiful place to have your nuptials!
All the inmates could cheer from the balconies when they get to the "I now pronounce you" bit :cheer:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think there might be some ramps (to the left of the 'stairwell/lift' block) which is also throwing things out. The discrepancy of that angle was one of the things that caught my eye first.

In Japan they use really odd spaces for western style weddings, e.g. office building foyer. They also have huge resort buildings, the sort used by the typical salary-man and family. They combine hotel, swimming pool, shopping and amusement arcade etc all under one roof. It looks something like that to me.

I've only just noticed the people seated in, what looks like, a piano bar! (middle far right)

They look like computer generated images to me, especially the 2nd one. Doesn't look like a photo. Where's the 'speaker' on top of the altar gone?

They look like computer generated images to me, especially the 2nd one. Doesn't look like a photo. Where's the 'speaker' on top of the altar gone?

I agree, but I think you often get that effect with digital filters.

I can simulate pictures of the same kind with the inbuilt editor on my smartphone.

OR the building is a genuine image and the wedding setup is a digital edition to show prospective customers what can be done.

... Where's the 'speaker' on top of the altar gone?

The whatever-it-is could have been added or deleted during any time lapse between the two photos.

There's no way to say any more, until or unless we get some solid information about when and where these photos were taken.

May I be as bold to enquire as to why, after so long, you were looking at the picture again?

Just for kicks?

I was searching thread titles for the old thread that has confusing images (I couldn't recall the title) and this was one of the possibles that came up.

I did also find the other thread I wanted in the end (I still laugh manically about the second image on the page in the opening link):

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/photos-you-need-to-really-look-at-to-understand.52537/

I still plump for computer design. There's a socket the speaker plugs into in the first image which isn't there in the second.

I reckon you can just about make out the white surface of the altar in the second so it's about level with that & the socket should be visible.

On top of that, would this hideously grim design actually get built & what is it's purpose? I don't think it's a hotel - inefficient use of space.

That outlet, plus the lights and balconies...I both love you and hate you for posting this. It really is mind-fuck territory without the further picture (which I appreciate because otherwise my brain might have gotten broken).

I think it's possible - at any rate, it is for me - to interpret the sea/lake as a wall which rises vertically at the treeline, rather than as an expanse of water that continues beyond the frame of the photo along the same horizontal plane as the land.

Agreed ... The foreground layout is easily (mis-)interpreted as being seen from a slight elevation and extending more or less horizontally away from the viewer, when in fact the vantage point is considerably more elevated and the viewer is looking downslope toward the shoreline.

The key element here is tricking the eye / mind into looking down but parsing it as looking 'out' (on the same level / elevation).

The triple line of trees is easily misinterpreted as a raised bank or small ridge on a horizon at the viewer's own elevation, when in fact it's a significantly lower verge bordering the open field in the immediate foreground.

Back