• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Deep Fried Mars bars were never a myth

A

Anonymous

I used to go to the local chip shop for my lunch (I know....healthy!) in the mid nineties or earlier. I would order Chips and Curry sauce (I know..I know) my close pal would order Sausage supper and some of my collegues would order deep fried mars bars. This quickly became a fad and the mars bars were being swapped for bounties, wispas, twix and chomps. they were dipped in batter and cooked in chip fat. They were then drizzled with salt and vinegar.

The main guzzlers of this delicacy was the vast amounts of secondary school (high school) kids who would flock to the chip shops everyday for their lunch.

At present, I know of just one chip shop in these towns that still serves this stuff but the chip shop was never very good anyway so I dont see why their deep fried mars bars would be any better than their awful fish and chips. I could however go and get pictures of the sign that I am reliably told still hangs inside the shop, which says "We serve deep fried Mars Bars"

How about that for a debunked urban legend? The legend was that they were not real and were....an urban legend! It is that myth that I can debunk and so can 3000 ex-students from kilwinning!!

P.S I have still managed to prevent one from passing my lips. Everyone always looked as if they enjoyed them and they ordered them time and time again. They also...dont laugh.....they also smelled great!!:)

combination or melted choc and extra grease sounds adictive...i understand its seasonaly too....cram eggs at easter and now for xmas deep fried battered mince pies.

Isn't it one of those things that start out as an UL and someone decides to try it ?

Mmm, I was just thinking that. It's so harmless and easy to do, it's the sort of UL everyone can try at home. Assuming they live in a chip shop.

Well I am not sure when I first heard of it. I am sure that I found out only because I saw getting consumed everyday. I was not aware of any relevant foaf tales or ULs at the time and I was quite in tune with those circles at the time.

To be honest, I did not know that it was regarded as a myth until I read it somewhere here. Kids were eating them in the Kilwinning area nearly ten years ago. If it was a foaf, it has been perpetuated by those who consumed those arterial blocking sugar sausages for the last ten years.

Disgusting.........great!:)

"Everyone knows they were invented in the Haven fish bar, Stonehaven"...

Which is true, because it used to be my local chippie! Then they closed it down because it was rubbish. :)

I remember reading about it in our local paper in the early 90s, but my mum wouldn't buy one (and I didn't like Mars bars at the time anyway).

Don't forget deep fried haggis and deep fried pizza too :eek!!!!:

There are chip shops that'll deep fry anything within reason...

At last! My chance to admit that during my last visit to the wonderful land of the Scots (1996-ish) I ate and enjoyed a deep fried Milky Way (the choccy bar that is, I'm not in the habit of eating galaxies :) ).

I'm quite surprised that this is regarded as a myth as well. They certainly existed, and probably still do oop North.

Hmmm, deep fried mince pies do sound rather nice...

Jane.

They still sell them in Sudbury. They don't really appeal to me though...

McDonalds have apparently been doing deep fried apple pie things for years, just as disgusting as the rest of their so called food I should imagine.

I first heard this in '95, and was told it originated in Stonehaven, near Aberdeen. Since I was living in the area at the time it could be local bias(!) I had no reason to disbelieve it. Pete makes a good point about the UL coming before the real thing, but as with a lot of ULs I guess it would be impossible to prove.

I always believed this was true as it was cited in every news item
which reminded us of the way Scots were digging their graves with
their teeth.

I love the idea that a splash of vinegar would somehow cut through
all the gunk. Makes it virtually organic!

I don't think I would try one, though I once had a slight urge to try one
of the peanut butter and banana deep-fried sandwiches which killed
Elvis. Well not the exact ones . . :cross eye

James Whitehead said:
......I once had a slight urge to try one
D'ye know that he was also partial to squirrel? Fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches are delicious!

Ice-cream-cone-wafer chip cone things. Those were good, especially with loads of vinegar on. The sweetness of the cone offset the savoury chips. Used to have them at our local ice rink, ah, those were the days...

*falls into nostalgic black hole*

I didnt even relise this was an UL, been having Deep Fried Mars Bars for years

James Whitehead said:
I don't think I would try one, though I once had a slight urge to try one

One of the Nigella Lawson books has a recipe that exact combination - apparently it is orgasmic (well, thats what Nigella would make it look like).

mejane said:
At last! My chance to admit that during my last visit to the wonderful land of the Scots (1996-ish) I ate and enjoyed a deep fried Milky Way (the choccy bar that is, I'm not in the habit of eating galaxies :) ).

Well, if you enjoy them, take a trip into town - Carfax chippy in Oxford sells deep fried Mars Bars amongst others - I'm sure they'll do Milky Ways too. Deep fried Bountys are apparently very nice although I've only tried the Mars Bars.

I've not been in there for about a year, but I'm sure they still sell them, they have for as long as I've been around here.

Steve.

Some time ago i requested a Cornish pastie in a Penzance chip shop. When the bloke asked if i wanted it hot, i sort of asumed it would be heated in one of them small oven things. No such luck.. Deep fried pastie is utterly vile and just a grease bag round greasy shreded spuds......... i gave it to the dog, usualy diet dead seagull and live blackbirds and it flat refused to touch it..

St.Clair said:
D'ye know that he was also partial to squirrel? Fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches are delicious!

And exactly how did he enjoy this delicacy? Fried, boiled, grilled, sauteed?

Mind you, if it came to a choice between squirrel and peanut and banana fried butties, I'd choose the former . . .

Carole

This Christmas I shall mainly be eating squirrel, force-fed on
hazlenuts till it is the size of a turkey. Yum! :p

Which reminds me, can you still get a Topic? I quite liked Marathon
but I refuse to ask for a Snickers!

But I'll have mine plain boiled please with a green salad. :rolleyes:

Deep fried Christmas puds on the Midlands news today. Fraid I didn't get the name of the town, but they were dyed red and green, for god's sake. Mmmm, festive.

sjwk said:
Well, if you enjoy them, take a trip into town - Carfax chippy in Oxford sells deep fried Mars Bars amongst others - I'm sure they'll do Milky Ways too. Deep fried Bountys are apparently very nice although I've only tried the Mars Bars.

I've not been in there for about a year, but I'm sure they still sell them, they have for as long as I've been around here.

Steve.

Oooh, thanks Steve :)

As it happens I'll be going into Oxford tomorrow (well, today now) as I'm on accompaning-sister-to-eye-hospital-duty. I feel a treat coming on (and if memory serves, may well feel it coming back out at well!)

Jane.

Damn, now I'm getting tempted... ;)
Might have to take a break from work at some point and pop down there...

Steve.

Sis's appointment is at 11 am, so we should be on our way to sticky delights (?) by 12.30 and you are more than welcome to join us (as are any other Oxfordians - heart attack inducing lunch voluntary!) We should be easy to spot - 5-ft nothing brunette (moi) with 5'3'' blonde sis complete with eye patch...:D

Jane.

It's not just Scots and northerners who go for deep-fried Mars bars - I saw them on the menu of a chippie in Truro about 5 years ago!

(I don't know if they're still doing them - haven't been near a chippie for years now... sigh! :sad: )

mejane said:
Sis's appointment is at 11 am, so we should be on our way to sticky delights (?) by 12.30 and you are more than welcome to join us (as are any other Oxfordians - heart attack inducing lunch voluntary!) We should be easy to spot - 5-ft nothing brunette (moi) with 5'3'' blonde sis complete with eye patch...:D

Thanks for the offer - I would take you up on it, but unfortunately I have a lunch meeting at work at 1pm conveniently arranged for me by the bursar. Oh well.

Let me know if they do still sell them and if so we could arrange an OxFortean (visitors from remote parts also welcome) deep fried mars bar session... I've found the Mars bars always seem a better idea after a pint or two.

Right. Back to work. Bah.
Steve.

Another oxfordian here, so if you guys work it otu give ma shout and ill come along for some deep fried goodness.

Deep fried anything is a Minnesota State Fair tradition.
The latest is EVERYTHING being served "on a stick"...
even ostrich!

Here is someones assessment of both
deep fried candy and deep fried pickles:
http://www.msnbc.com/news/799333.asp?0si=-

(About 2/3rd's down -- look for "Fryday"!)

TVgeek

Back