• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Deep Weird: The Varieties Of High Strangeness Experience

Coal

Account Retired
https://www.dailygrail.com/2023/02/deep-weird-the-varieties-of-high-strangeness-experience/

While science and academia largely try their best to ignore or even debunk the paranormal, even those researchers willing to look into the topic mostly do so by studying ‘respectable’ experiences such as religious visions, or by running experiments that result in small effects that have to be measured in decimals.

Meanwhile, throughout history ordinary people have reported truly strange and over-the-top bizarre paranormal experiences – but these are generally not studied, or are brushed away as obvious delusions or frauds.

Paranthropologist Dr Jack Hunter, editor of the newly released anthology Deep Weird: The Varieties of High Strangeness Experience, notes that psychical researcher Rene Haynes coined the concept of the ‘Boggle threshold’ to describe this phenomenon – “the point at which a researcher says ‘no I’m not taking that, I’m not accepting that any further, it’s too weird’.”

Hunter believes that we need to lower our ‘Boggle thresholds’ a little bit, and start paying paying attention to the more bizarre paranormal experiences – because “when we do that, we can start to look for parallels or patterns across experiences, and we see that there are striking similarities even between some of the most outrageous ‘high strangeness experiences’ and some of the most widely accepted transpersonal religious experiences.”

Interesting YouTube channel as well.

Me the other morning talking to my cat when I got up about how I need to book a dentist appointment/see the hygenist as I must be a bit overdue an appointment and I need to look after my teethies......

Then the same day (later the same morning) at work my mobile phone rang. It was the dentist. They seemed surprised when I said I had been telling someone that I must make an appointment. I didn't tell them that someone I had been telling was my feline companion though...That would have been too weird! :hahazebs:

Back