• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Deer Leap To Their Deaths From Garage

meowfur

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
5 deer leap to their deaths from garage

Associated Press
Dec. 6, 2005 05:10 PM

RANSON, W.Va. - Either they misjudged the distance or they couldn't take the traffic. For reasons that mystify authorities, five deer that made their way onto the top of a five-story parking garage suddenly leaped to their deaths.

Police Cpl. Steve Cox found the does' bodies on a service road to the Charles Town Races & Slots, next to a security van they'd narrowly missed.

"They took the plunge," he said. "It was just absolutely weird."

A woman called police when she saw the deer falling, and Cox said he found scratches and animal hair on the fifth floor, indicating that's where they had been.

It's unclear how the deer got into the garage, but Cox said they may have become frightened after getting trapped. Cars moving through the garage may have spooked them, he said.

Or they could have been fooled by trees that can be seen from the top of the garage, mistakenly thinking they were close to home.

The carcasses were given to passers-by for butchering.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articl ... ad-CR.html

Isn't that last sentence the scariest part of this article??

Wow, how weird and bizarre. I sure wouldn't want any of the deer carcass. :shock: ~Moonchime

What's your problem? They know how long the deer have been dead, and the cause of death. Waste not, want not. I have heard that this is SOP with fresh road kills in many rural areas. Either the sheriffs take it, or it's donated to the needy.

Plus, we are talkin' West Virginia here. :lol:

meowfur, Moonchime -- sorry I didn't intend that to sound so rude or dismissive. I was joshing.

It is strange that a herd of deer would wander into a parking garage. Those are usualy in fairly urban areas. I wonder if they didn't have a little encouragement from local hooligans.

Philo_T said:
meowfur, Moonchime -- sorry I didn't intend that to sound so rude or dismissive. I was joshing.

It is strange that a herd of deer would wander into a parking garage. Those are usualy in fairly urban areas. I wonder if they didn't have a little encouragement from local hooligans.

No offense taken!! And I wonder if you haven't hit the nail on the head--maybe this is a new way of West Virginia hunting for dinner!

Deer survived! Wow.

This is turning into Planet of the Deer. Round here they've been accused of eating people's tulips. It's mayhem, I tell you.

Back