• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Demon Spirits Tax Thai Airport (Considered Bad Luck)

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Demon spirits tax Thai airport
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8351952.stm
By Rachel Harvey
South East Asia correspondent, BBC News, Bangkok

Demons are not helping Bangkok's airport keep a good vibe, some say
Twelve large statues of demon spirits are being moved to new positions in Thailand's main international airport.

But it is not clear if the reason lies in aesthetics or superstition.

Officials say the 6m (20ft) figures, modelled on statues found in the grounds of the Royal Palace, are being moved to more prominent positions.

But there are local news reports that airport staff had complained the demons had been bringing bad luck and should be relocated.

You would have thought it hard to miss one 6m-high scowling demon, let alone 12.

But the authorities at Bangkok's main airport say they are relocating their spirit statues to the check-in area, where they are more likely to be noticed and appreciated by passengers.

Local media are reporting the real reason for the move is airport staff had come to believe the figures, collectively worth almost a million dollars, had brought them bad luck.

Last year the airport was blockaded for eight days by political protestors, resulting in a big loss in earnings.

But moving the statues is not a matter to be taken lightly.

Buddhists believe the demons to be symbols of anger, strength and power.

Some astrologers are warning shifting them to a new location could bring more bad luck.

They have suggested a safer option could be to turn them to face a different direction.

I read about this in the paper while I was in Thailand in November, but there was no mention of the supernatural aspect.

They are indeed awsome things to behold, and it's true you don't get much time to appreciate then in arrivals, you're too busy being 'processed' and wanting to get out of there and into a taxi. If they were plane-side in departures you'd get much more time to inspect them ...... but how would they feel being technically outside Thailand, I wonder?

Back