• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Loch Ness Itself (The Loch And Its Immediate Environs)

We could have a Crowley theme as well, he lived on the Lough shore. I've been told that I resemble Crowley when my head is shaved.

Great idea!

As an aside - that house at Loch Ness that Crowley lived in, that was later bought by Jimmy Page - a family friend once went into it while doing some work for Page and said it was unbelievably creepy.

I feel that anything that was touched by Crowley should be destroyed as soon as possible. You just dont know what kind of energies, thought forms or worse still linger there. :eek:

New images of John Cobb's boat
New images recall Loch Ness tragedy
By Val Sweeney
- [email protected]

Published: 06:45, 20 September 2019
John Cobb died on September 29, 1952 when his jet-powered Crusader disintegrated seconds after he became first man to break the 200mph barrier on water.
Although wreckage was found 700ft down in the loch in 2002, high-resolution sonar technology has now been used to further pinpoint the remains – with surprising results.
Investigations, filmed for a TV series, revealed a larger portion of the boat – including its jet engine – had survived than many had expected.
Adrian Shine, of the Loch Ness Project in Drumnadrochit, said one of the Crusader’s sponsons, or outriggers, was still attached.

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/new-images-recall-loch-ness-tragedy-183257/

This reminds me.

Loch Ness was the first lake to be subjected to a multidislipinary study.

This was in 1904, I believe

Dont quote me.

Where is this fachinating work to be found?

This reminds me.

Loch Ness was the first lake to be subjected to a multidislipinary study.

This was in 1904, I believe

Dont quote me.

Where is this fachinating work to be found?
The Geographical Journal 1904 volume 24 part 4
https://www.jstor.org/stable/i303269
04828298-23F9-4D88-9767-B797E0DA1969.jpeg
04828298-23F9-4D88-9767-B797E0DA1969.jpeg

There’s a lot to be said for Inverness as a venue. It’s just about equally unreachable for everyone but the landscape is beautiful and you can go out and see dolphins. I should check how much a flight is from here.

There’s a lot to be said for Inverness as a venue. It’s just about equally unreachable for everyone but the landscape is beautiful and you can go out and see dolphins. I should check how much a flight is from here.

It gives you a sense of porpoise in life.

Nessie's shape-shifting abilities have been underestimated! :)

I agree. I met one of the results of Nessie's remarkable shape-shifting abilities while driving near Loch Ness, not on the A82 but heading towards the east side, near the village of Dores.

I used to live on the west coast across from Inverness and had headed in to that town earlier that morning - a 2 hour drive - for an appointment. I had a couple of hours to spare before the appointment and so decided on a sight seeing trip to a side of the loch I had not been to before. Whilst approaching the village of Dores you get a lovely view of the loch. It being a quiet road, no traffic, my eyes were mostly on the view and not the road, when suddenly that damned shape-shifting monster appeared on the road before me and fired a gun at me - well, a speed gun. Nessie had shape-shifted into a policeman. He/it signalled for me to pull over and wind down my window.

"Do you know what speed you were driving at?" he/it asked. "No", I admitted, and then, glancing to my left where there was a speed limit sign on the verge of the road which indicated a 40mph limit, I added, "But I must have been doing over 40mph or you would not have stopped me."

"You were doing 43mph", Nessie/the policeman said.

Nessie/the policeman then gave me a pep talk about the necessity of keeping to speed limits and allowed me to continue on my way without giving me a fine. On the return trip back through Dores, Nessie, still in its policeman shape, was still there and again fired a gun at me. This time, however, I was prepared and was driving well under the speed limit. I arrived in Inverness for my appointment without any further delay.

Aren't you allowed a 3mph leeway or is that a myth? Not a good idea doing 40 whilst not looking at the road though. Maybe he did you a favour stopping you.

Aren't you allowed a 3mph leeway or is that a myth? Not a good idea doing 40 whilst not looking at the road though. Maybe he did you a favour stopping you.

The law says the speed limit is the speed limit, no leeway.

Until a few years ago, the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) issued a guideline to forces to allowa small amount of leeway: 10% of the speed limit, plus a further 2 mph. Thus, police forces would normally take no action (other than a warning) for 35 in a 30 limit, 46 in a 40 limit, etc. However, these were guidelines and not mandatory.

More recently, I believe that the ACPO guideline was withdrawn. It has always been the case that breaking the speed limit by 1 mph is an offence, but that police officers can use their discretion to deal with minor infringements with a sarcastic rollocking.

Until a few years ago, the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) issued a guideline to forces to allowa small amount of leeway: 10% of the speed limit, plus a further 2 mph. Thus, police forces would normally take no action (other than a warning) for 35 in a 30 limit, 46 in a 40 limit, etc. However, these were guidelines and not mandatory.

More recently, I believe that the ACPO guideline was withdrawn. It has always been the case that breaking the speed limit by 1 mph is an offence, but that police officers can use their discretion to deal with minor infringements with a sarcastic rollocking.

ACPO-speed-enforcement-policy-guidelines-camera-2015-driver-car.jpg

http://library.college.police.uk/docs/appref/ACPO-Speed-Enforcement-Guidance.pdf

RAC, 26th April 2019:

"According to information from police forces around the country, the vast majority of fixed cameras in the UK will only be activated by motorists going 10% above the speed limit, plus 2mph.

The study was carried out in a bid to tackle rumours circulating earlier this year that speed cameras were programmed to catch motorists going just 1mph over the limit.

The 10% plus 2mph tolerance level in speed cameras would see motorists get ticketed for driving over 35mph in a 30mph zone, and over 46mph in a 40mph zone.

On a motorway where the speed limit is set at 70mph, this means cameras only snap those travelling over 79mph, with all these tolerances in line with Association of Chief Police Officer guidelines.

All police forces who provided information confirmed that these tolerance thresholds are used for both fixed and average speed cameras.

However, some forces revealed more lenient tolerances, with the Metropolitan and Lancashire forces using a less strict threshold of 10% plus 3mph.

The research was carried out by AutoExpress, who used a series of Freedom of Information (FOI) requests to the 45 UK police forces operating cameras across the country.

Of those 45 forces, 36 provided answers..."

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/revealed-the-true-tolerance-of-speed-cameras/

maximus otter

Last edited:

I can't remember the exact speed Nesssie claimed I was doing - the incident happened over two decades ago. It wasn't that much over 40mph, though..

As to whether or not some leeway is allowed, I remember recently hearing a racing driver on the radio saying that the speedometers of cars are very unreliable and so while your car's speedometer may read 28mph, say, you could really be doing 30mph. Where I live, which is rural, many of the towns and villages have, in summer especially, little solar powered roadside speed sensors. They never seem to report my speed as being the same as my speedometer reading. It seems nonsense therefore to not allow leeway, but that won't stop a such a law being enacted and enforced, I daresay.

Last edited:
As to whether or not some leeway is allowed, I remember recently hearing a racing driver on the radio saying that the speedometers of cars are very unreliable and so while your car's speedometer may read 28mph, say, you could really be doing 30mph.

It seems nonsense therefore to not allow leeway, but that won't stop a such a law being enacted and enforced, I daresay.

UK law says that your car speedo can not under-report your speed, e.g. indicate that you are doing 30 mph when you are in fact doing 35 mph.

“A speedo must never show less than the actual speed, and must never show more than 110% of actual speed + 6.25mph.

So if your true speed is 40mph, your speedo could legally be reading up to 50.25mph but never less than 40mph.

Or to put it another way, if your speedo is reading 50mph, you won’t be doing more than 50mph but it’s possible you might actually only be travelling at 40mph.”

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/how-accurate-is-a-car-speedometer/

Yer actual UK law:

2. For all true speeds up to the design speed of the vehicle, the true speed shall not exceed the indicated speed.
3. For all true speeds of between 25 mph and 70 mph (or the maximum speed if lower), the difference between the indicated speed and the true speed shall not exceed—
V/10 + 6.25 mph
where V = the true speed of the vehicle in mph.

Item 19, Schedule 3, Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001.

maximus otter

UK law says that your car speedo can not under-report your speed, e.g. indicate that you are doing 30 mph when you are in fact doing 35 mph.

“A speedo must never show less than the actual speed, and must never show more than 110% of actual speed + 6.25mph.

So if your true speed is 40mph, your speedo could legally be reading up to 50.25mph but never less than 40mph.

Or to put it another way, if your speedo is reading 50mph, you won’t be doing more than 50mph but it’s possible you might actually only be travelling at 40mph.”

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/how-accurate-is-a-car-speedometer/

Yer actual UK law:

2. For all true speeds up to the design speed of the vehicle, the true speed shall not exceed the indicated speed.
3. For all true speeds of between 25 mph and 70 mph (or the maximum speed if lower), the difference between the indicated speed and the true speed shall not exceed—
V/10 + 6.25 mph
where V = the true speed of the vehicle in mph.

Item 19, Schedule 3, Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001.

maximus otter
It's asking a bit much of:
(a) The car manufacturer
and
(b) Car owners
- to have speedos that are 100% accurate.

UK law says that your car speedo can not under-report your speed, e.g. indicate that you are doing 30 mph when you are in fact doing 35 mph. ...

Same here in the USA. NHTSA / DOT regulations and manufacturers' specs allow zero tolerance for under-reporting vehicle speed (assuming OEM equipment, wheels, and tires).

This would seem to be the most logical of the Loch Ness threads to post this in, I think?

Anyone fancy taking over a business that's been going for nearly 60 years?

https://search.savills.com/property-detail/05c89d1b-4dfa-46d5-993f-ea4630864755

Award-winning visitor attraction in a world renowned location with option to purchase superb owner’s accommodation in the Scottish Highlands, United Kingdom

I reckon Nessie stopped him from completing the swim/

An adventurer has finished one of the "biggest challenges of his career" after swimming continuously for more than two days and nights in Loch Ness.

Ross Edgley, 36, from Grantham, Lincolnshire, spent 52 hours and 39 minutes in the water and covered a distance of about 49 miles (79km). He ended the challenge at Fort Augustus on Friday, short of his original aim of swimming 100 miles (160km). The challenge was in support of a sea kelp conservation project.

"It was one of the biggest challenges of my career physically and mentally, but the important purpose behind it really motivated me to push myself as far as I did and I'm so proud to have inspired people to make a difference," he said.

Edgely, who became the first person to swim 1,780-miles around Great Britain in 2018, swam continuously without touching land or a boat for the whole period he was in the water. Overnight temperatures dropped as low as 5C and at times he faced winds of up to 20 knots.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-63019781

I reckon Nessie stopped him from completing the swim/

An adventurer has finished one of the "biggest challenges of his career" after swimming continuously for more than two days and nights in Loch Ness.

Ross Edgley, 36, from Grantham, Lincolnshire, spent 52 hours and 39 minutes in the water and covered a distance of about 49 miles (79km). He ended the challenge at Fort Augustus on Friday, short of his original aim of swimming 100 miles (160km). The challenge was in support of a sea kelp conservation project.

"It was one of the biggest challenges of my career physically and mentally, but the important purpose behind it really motivated me to push myself as far as I did and I'm so proud to have inspired people to make a difference," he said.

Edgely, who became the first person to swim 1,780-miles around Great Britain in 2018, swam continuously without touching land or a boat for the whole period he was in the water. Overnight temperatures dropped as low as 5C and at times he faced winds of up to 20 knots.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-63019781
A worthy cause. I didn't realise until recently that Loch Ness became soo treacherous with wind, waves and the cold that it has a 24/7 RNLI lifeboat

Back