• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Derek Acorah

Is Derek Acorah legit in your opinion?

• Yes, he's the real deal!

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • No, are you kidding me?

Votes: 40 88.9%
  • Undecided, not enough info to accurately judge

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters
Tyger_Lily said:
I think it would be interesting if they could do other locations rather than just houses. What about hillsides, there's a place in Derbyshire where planes are often seen crashing in to the peaks.
Tonight on TV:

Countryfile BBC1
from 7:00pm to 8:00pm

Matt Baker and Jules Hudson travel to the Peak District where they investigate a wartime aviation mystery, in which 50 planes crashed into the hills around Glossop, Derbyshire.

Dunno how we missed this little gem!
No mention of Sam, I notice.

Stubbing out the habit

I started smoking while I was living in Australia. It was in the days when smoking was socially acceptable, in fact it was lauded as the thing to do in "cool" society. Television and billboard advertising of cigarettes and tobacco products was rife. Many people will remember "Marlboro man" – rough, tough and exuding manly appeal; they will remember the Consulate ads with the trickling streams and idyllic locations where a couple tripped along giving the impression that all you needed for romance was a whiff on a menthol cigarette; or the relaxation afforded by a Hamlet cigar. Who can forget the strong messages sent out by all this advertising – and it was all endorsed by the government.

My own first experience of smoking was actually a cigar. This was rapidly followed by the purchase of a packet of cigarettes and the rest is history. Thirty-plus years further on, I was still smoking. My cigarette consumption had, of course, escalated and the conservative 10-a-day had now been replaced by a 50-a-day habit. Health-wise, I was a walking time-bomb.

It was the health issues that began to concern me. The propaganda that had led me to believe that smoking was a good thing to do had changed, and was now describing the harm caused by smoking. Added to that were the inconveniences that smoking now presented. No longer could I relax after dinner in a restaurant – I had to trail outside to find a corner out of the wind and the rain to have a few uncomfortable puffs on my cigarette. I chose not to visit a cinema or a theatre – a show was far too long to last without having a cigarette. Even my progress through the UK conducting my own theatre demonstrations was fraught with difficulty for my tour manager, who always had to secure a quiet corner – somewhere where I could nip out and have a cigarette before a show, during the interval and, of course, after a show.

I had been talking about giving up smoking for quite a while but had not yet plucked up the courage, until one day, I received a request from a television company to take part in the television show Celebrity Quitters. This was my opportunity! I was given full medical support and could take advantage of the services of a counsellor. I was introduced to nicotine replacement therapy in the form of inhalators, patches, chewing gum and nasal sprays.

For me, the nicotine patches and the inhalators worked. While I was receiving a constant "hit" of nicotine from the patches, the inhalator fulfilled the smoking "ritual" – the hand to mouth action that is an integral part of the smoking experience. I persevered on a day-to-day basis. One 24-hours stint leads to another 24 hours without a cigarette. Before you know it, you have achieved the first week. It isn't easy – in fact, it's incredibly hard to overcome the desire to throw the bits of plastic away and light up a real cigarette.

There are trigger times during the day for smokers – the first one being when you get out of bed and have that first cup of tea or coffee. Every time the thought of a cigarette came in to my mind, I would pick up my inhalator and have a couple of puffs or take a drink of water, or go and do something completely different to take my mind off my craving. I also found that putting the money I would have spent on cigarettes into a jar was an incentive. I still do this and after three months will reward myself with something. I also gleefully think of the tax I have deprived the government of by not buying packets of cigarettes.

I have been a non-smoker now for 11 weeks and I am still going strong. Giving up smoking has been one of the biggest and most important challenges of my life. I have done it, but it was because I wanted to do it and not because anybody told me I must do it. The time was right for me. All the scare tactics in the world didn't work on me – all the pictures of diseased lungs on cigarette packets, all the television advertising, nothing. I had to reach that point where I wanted it for myself.

I have reaped so many benefits through not smoking – my health is better, I can breathe properly, I sleep better, I don't have the awful smokers' cough I was known for, my clothes don't smell of smoke and I can enjoy a cup of coffee or a meal in a café or restaurant and feel sorry for the poor smokers huddled outside in the cold. I am pretty sure that I will never smoke again.

It is unfortunate that the government uses stealth tactics in an attempt to price cigarettes out of reach of ordinary folk by raising taxes by a few pence at a time. If they truly want people to give up smoking, they should impose a complete ban on smoking anywhere at any time.

And what of the hapless smoker? What if he or she does not want to give up smoking and is quite happy to do so, regardless of the health hazards involved? Do these people truly exist? Every smoker I have ever spoken to has told me that, at some point, they have tried to give up smoking, or they are considering giving up smoking. Nicotine is a powerful drug and most addicts, like me, have to reach a point where they make their own choice about giving up cigarettes. I wish them well and truly hope that they achieve their desire.

Just thought I'd pitch in with my 2 cents on this proven fraudster.

There is the fact he is a parasite who preys on the emotionally vulnerable and desperate. Regardless of whether he makes his money directly from his 'marks' or from TV companies, he is still profiting from exploiting aforementioned vulnerable people.

Although he is by no means alone in this, he is also helping to attract yet more ridicule and bad publicity to Fortean subjects. What we need is serious, even handed study and exploration of these areas, not hammy snake-oil salesmen out to make a quick buck.

As I said sadly Acorah is not an isolated case. I always find it a safe bet to assume anyone who uses words and phrases like 'Medium', 'Clairvoyant', 'Spirit World' and 'The Other Side' is a massive fake. The presence of money is the equation should also always ring scores of alarm bells.

ben77 said:
Just thought I'd pitch in with my 2 cents on this proven fraudster.

There is the fact he is a parasite who preys on the emotionally vulnerable and desperate. Regardless of whether he makes his money directly from his 'marks' or from TV companies, he is still profiting from exploiting aforementioned vulnerable people.

Although he is by no means alone in this, he is also helping to attract yet more ridicule and bad publicity to Fortean subjects. What we need is serious, even handed study and exploration of these areas, not hammy snake-oil salesmen out to make a quick buck.

As I said sadly Acorah is not an isolated case. I always find it a safe bet to assume anyone who uses words and phrases like 'Medium', 'Clairvoyant', 'Spirit World' and 'The Other Side' is a massive fake. The presence of money is the equation should also always ring scores of alarm bells.

Ah, but your post suggests that you think that there is actually something in all this ghosts and spirit stuff and that he's clouding the waters, which isn't exactly even-handed now is it?

Perhaps the prevalence of these types of characters helps demonstrate that there is NO life after death, as they are the only people visible on the subject, no scientist has made any discovery to show that there is anything more. There would be HUGE rewards for the first bona-fide scientist to show even a shred of proof of life after death, but we've had nothing, nada, zip. All the scientists have to do is pipe up about a real discovery, or even a lead towards a discovery, but as far as I am aware, there is nothing to contradict the showbiz.

So, if the only evidence to go on is Degsy and Co's acts, and we "know" they are BS, that's pretty conclusive to me, we're all gonna be worm-food and nothing more!

LordRsmacker said:
So, if the only evidence to go on is Degsy and Co's acts, and we "know" they are BS, that's pretty conclusive to me, we're all gonna be worm-food and nothing more!

So you'd base your judgement on post-mortem survival on a TV showman's act? I believe in ghosts but I wouldn't base that belief on spirit photography or table rapping.

Genuine power of communication with the dead or fraudster ... he's always struck me a combination of showman and parasite. Barnum would've been proud of him. Unless Deggsy's already had a chat with the ol' bugger and got some tips!

Every time I hear him I think of the psychic Clinton Baptiste from Phoenix Nights. "I'm getting the word... Nonce!"

colpepper1 said:
LordRsmacker said:

So you'd base your judgement on post-mortem survival on a TV showman's act? I believe in ghosts but I wouldn't base that belief on spirit photography or table rapping.
If all the evidence we have to go on, is any evidence at all, we are going to be the very same worm food. Believe what you may... that is of no consequence, as one's life is short, sharp, and... if you are fortunate enough, what you can make of it. Then, once you are gone, (IMHO!)... [William Buroughs] "You never existed at all![/William Burroughs]
One's intelligence, personality et al, wiped. Nothing you experience/d, all gone, washed away like tears in the rain, never to re-form, lost and gone, (SUBJECTIVELY)... (Repeat William Burroughs quote ad infinitum)...

coaly said:
Believe what you may... that is of no consequence

William Boroughs was simply a mid-C20th flowering of the Grumpy Old Git, biological determinism as macho americana. A useful opinion on small bore weaponry but contaminated by his time. A popular reductionist for sneery types.

I wasn't using Burroughs as a political, or philosophical example, simply that he said that on a recording.

coaly said:
I wasn't using Burroughs as a political, or philosophical example, simply that he said that on a recording.
So basically his opinion is on a par with Shirley Ghostman.

I wonder if Richard Dawkins is a William Burroughs fan....

BTW I saw Degsy, live, when he came to Huntingdon last year. Part stand-up comedian, part preacher, large part used car salesman....

Timble2 said:

Almost certainly, one's enemy's enemy and all that. Each ranting at human foolishness from within their human carapace. I'd have thought dodgy Derek was a more entertaining night out than Dicky D tho'.

Timble2 said:

Haha! That should be filed under, "Goading the colpepper" files. :lol:

coaly said:
Timble2 said:

Haha! That should be filed under, "Goading the colpepper" files. :lol:
The colpepper cannot be goaded. He is not subject to the taunts of geeks, nerds, sneerers, collie fanciers, the smillie addicted, popular TV biologists, enlightenment patriarchs or those selling certainty in any form.

Doubt is his trusty lantern.

colpepper1 said:
The colpepper cannot be goaded. He is not subject to the taunts of geeks, nerds, sneerers, collie fanciers, the smillie addicted, popular TV biologists, enlightenment patriarchs or those selling certainty in any form.

Each ranting at human foolishness from within their human carapace.

Hmmm...?

Spookdaddy said:
colpepper1 said:

Each ranting at human foolishness from within their human carapace.

Hmmm...?

No contradiction Spooky. Those selling certainty amuse colpepper. The more certain they are, the stronger their conviction there's two sides and their's is the correct one, the more colpepper laughs.

It's always struck me that it isn't ghosts that some people disbelieve in, but belief itself. The Acorah's of the world confirm their prejudice.

Burroughs as a materialist rationalist?

You're kidding ...... right?!!!

Most satirists are rationalists. Degsy is the biggest of them all.

Burroughs was, among other things, mad as a sackful of monkeys on nitrous oxide and stoned off his tits for most of his life. "Satirist" and "rationalist" are two words I'd never associate with him, though.

TV ghostbuster Derek Acorah banishes poltergeist 'terrorising' family home (his name was Jim and he died in 1900)
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 11:18 AM on 30th March 2011

TV 'ghostbuster' Derek Acorah has stepped in to help a spooked family who claim their house is haunted by a poltergeist.
The former star of the Most Haunted show claims to have banished the ghost called Jim, which apparently moved a chair across a bedroom.

Lisa Manning, 34, and her children Ellie, 11, Jaydon, six, had fled their house in Holbrooks, Coventry, in terror several times because of bizarre events at the property.
Pots and pans were thrown around the kitchen, window blinds moved up and down by themselves, lights switched on and off and drawers opened.

They were even forced to climb out of a window after being trapped in their living room when the door locked by itself.

Miss Manning was initially sceptical when her partner Anthony Powell complained that something strange was going on.
But she changed her mind when their pet dog was mysteriously killed last October after apparently being shoved down the stairs when no one was in the house.

A priest advised them to wear crucifixes after a video camera recorded a chair moving by itself in Ellie's bedroom.
Acorah has now investigated and suggested an angry spirit was drawn to the little girl, because her room was the subject of the most scary attacks.
'A poltergeist will often feel an attraction to a child,' the 61-year-old expert told The Sun.
The psychic lit three candles and put them on the floor in the bedroom, with his set of crystals on the windowsill.

Then, with his eyes closed, he described the ghost as Jim, a 'very, very angry man' who had died in around 1900 but never passed into the spirit world.

[Creepy video!]

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1I51A60Db

I think Jim objected to the family's fashion sense. ;) And no way was their house as old as 1900.

Apart from hearing the unmistakable sounds of thread tensing before anything moved, and the sound of someone coughing and treading on a loose floorboard, the video is an absolute farse! Derreck and his bullshit o nce again. I think they are having a laugh at our expense! (The time it takes to watch and read this dog shit).
Typical chav dirt trying to get attention, and pointing the finger away from themselves killing a dog. (Staffie anyone?) I can't believe that wasn't looked into by the RSPCA!

But she changed her mind when their pet dog was mysteriously killed last October after apparently being shoved down the stairs when no one was in the house.

Classic poltergeist behavior. The most compelling thing since the Enfield case.

Who in their right mind would dream up a poltergeist to explain away the suspicious death of a pet dog?

Was it thread? I'd go with mono filament fishing line.

Yes, that's what I meant. Nylon thread, like fishing line. It makes that exact noise, which can be heard also in some of mellowb1rd's videos. (Especially the one with the tunnel clip in the middle of it, as things move about in the living room!)

coaly said:
Typical chav dirt trying to get attention, and pointing the finger away from themselves killing a dog. (Staffie anyone?) I can't believe that wasn't looked into by the RSPCA!

Haha, that's the very first thing I thought when I saw they were living in Holbrooks, the kind of place where even the undead don't want to (un)live. Wouldn't have been a Staffie though, they are far too posh for that locale, it would have been a "real" pitbull.

Back