• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Derelict Ships & Vessels (Abandoned; No One Aboard)

I've seen some pictures of the second vessel it looks like its been drifitng a long time, covered in barncales and is more a small boat with outboard engines than a yacht.
Apparently the first vessel found had its fenders down (I think that's the right term) which indicated that another vessel had come alongside

I read this story with great interest because 7 years ago I salvaged an abandoned yacht off the coast of north Africa. 8)
I was crewing on a yacht that was being transported from Southhampton to Cypres, I got on at Gibraltar. 3 days out of Gibraltar we found a 43ft Benetaux bobbing around in a storm. I jumped from one boat to the other and found the yacht empty with everything left in disarray and a couple of spent flare casings.
I could go on and on and mention being under port arrest in Algeria under suspicion of murder. Its a long story.
The 2 guys who chartered the yacht had thought it was sinking and abandoned it , they were airlifter by a British naval vessel I believe.
No one went missing or lost a life so it was a happy ending.
Strange thing was when we found the yacht it looked like it had been abandoned for days, in fact it was less than 24 hours, rough seas and 30 knot winds tend to toss things up a bit.
I just thought I would mention it.
The insurance assessor who took posession of the yacht in Mallorca told us this sort of thing happens about twice a year.

But that second boat they found off Australia sounds more like your run of the mill boating accident. It is when they are found "in mint condition" that strangeness ensues. But indeed, three people disappearing is less weird than those 30 or so on the Mary Celeste.

Mystery of the KAZ II, modern day Mary Celeste

Never heard of this case, what does everyone think?

http://www.sail-world.com/cruising/index.cfm?nid=45859&rid=11

Its engine was still running, a laptop computer was found switched on, the men's clothing was found in neat piles on the rear deck and the sail was shredded.

THE inquest into the mysterious disappearance and suspected deaths last year of three men from the catamaran Kaz II while it continued to drift off the eastern Australian coast has been announced to begin in August.

The three crew were missing from the Kaz II when it was spotted off the eastern Australian coast by a Coastwatch aircraft, drifting about 80 nautical miles north east of Townsville in North Queensland in April last year.

A wide search was initiated by the coastguard and aircraft, but no sign of the men was ever found.

It is thought that the three friends, who were on their way back to Western Australia, disappeared only hours after they left the popular holiday port of Airlie Beach on the Whitsundays coast on April 15. Then the boat sailed on unmanned for three days, being observed by passing fishermen, before the alarm was raised by the Coastwatch aircraft.

Many theories have been canvassed as to how the three went missing, from the tragic to the fantastic - from going for a swim together and not being able to get back on board; pushing the vessel off a sand bank only to have it sail away; escaping Australia illegally on another waiting vessel; or the possibility that they suffered foul play by persons unknown.

However there are unexplained mysteries, even about the time of their disappearance. After the search was called off, it was discovered that a Volunteer Marine Rescue radio operator had had radio contact with the Kaz II between 6pm and 7pm on April 15, hours after they were supposed to have disappeared.

State Coroner Michael Barnes will examine where and how the men went overboard, the circumstances surrounding their disappearance, whether they are dead and whether the search for the missing men was adequate.

With the amount of evidence available, however, the liklihood of any answers that would satisfy family members is unlikely.
[/quote]

Mythopoeika said:
My theory is that one of the guys was doing some fishing, caught something big, the other guys tried to help, and they all got dragged overboard... daft I know.

That's plausible

I never heard of a group of people being pulled overboard this way. It's an unwritten law of seamanship that you can help a 'man overboard' better from the deck than from in the water.

On deck, you can throw lifebelts, prepare a boarding ladder, dinghy, etc, and maneouvre the vessel to recover him. The more people in the water, the bigger the problem, and the fewer people left aboard to do anything about it.

If a guy fishing gets a big one, but refuses to let go of his rod, it might seem a good idea to give him back-up. But if he's being pulled overboard and refuses to release his gear, it won't help him if you go over too. Let him go, and then sort it out from on deck.

[PS: I've touched on this subject before, in the context of fiction:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 94#1275394 ]

If all of the people on the boat jumped into the water and forgot the ladder, they might encounter problems entering the boat again. That's a D'OH! situation ending with the of death of everyone if no other boat is nearby.

SameOldVardoger said:
If all of the people on the boat jumped into the water and forgot the ladder, they might encounter problems entering the boat again. That's a D'OH! situation ending with the of death of everyone if no other boat is nearby.

That actually happened, allegedly - and it is dramatised in Open Water 2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Water_2:_Adrift

Basically, a bunch of brainless eejits go out in a yacht and can't get back on board after they've been swimming.

Mythopoeika said:
SameOldVardoger said:
That actually happened, allegedly - and it is dramatised in Open Water 2:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Water_2:_Adrift
Basically, a bunch of brainless eejits go out in a yacht and can't get back on board after they've been swimming.
Most boats carry a ladder to help people get from a dinghy alongside on to the main boat. But even these are not much use for a person trying to get out of the water. What's needed is a ladder that is longer, and goes several steps underwater, such as scuba divers use.

When I sometimes allowed swimming from a large yacht which only had a short ladder, I would rig up loops of rope to hang beneath the ladder. They weren't ideal, but most people could get enough purchase that way to get up onto the ladder.

But one rather large lady proved an exception! However, a sailing boat usually has halliards and winches, so we put her in a harness and winched her out of the water with the main halliard! That was a big fish to land! ;)

A newspaper article about a ghost ship mystery from 96 years ago (the ghost ship, not the newspaper article).

pilotonline.com/news/local/history/ghost-ship-found-off-hatteras-years-ago-today-remains-an/article_7921af1b-1d96-5bb9-b3ec-bbab9f2fc670.html

Link is dead. The MIA article can be accessed at the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/2017020...cle_7921af1b-1d96-5bb9-b3ec-bbab9f2fc670.html

Here's the full text of the MIA article (to complete the excerpt originally posted here ...

Ghost ship found off Hatteras 96 years ago today remains an unsolved mystery

A five-masted schooner slammed into shoals off Hatteras 96 years ago today with sails fully engaged – and not one soul on board.

Only a healthy six-toed cat greeted the Coast Guardsmen sent to the rescue.

The Carroll A. Deering has been known ever since as the “ghost ship.”

“This is still one of the great unsolved maritime mysteries,” said Joe Schwarzer, director of the North Carolina Maritime Museums. “There are any number of potential explanations for it.”

At least five government agencies, including the Coast Guard and the FBI, investigated the wreck while family members and locals could only speculate about what happened.

The 225-foot Deering left Boston and picked up a load of coal in Norfolk in late 1920, bound for South America. The Deering company hired W.B. Wormell to replace Capt. William Merritt, who became too sick to make the voyage.

The Deering was on its return trip when it was sighted under sail Jan. 28, 1921, from the lightship at Cape Fear, south of Wilmington, Schwarzer said.

At 6:30 a.m. on Jan. 31, Coast Guard surfman Andrew Gray of Station 183 was on patrol when he spotted the schooner stranded on the outer edge of Diamond Shoals. Heavy waves prevented rescue boats from getting close enough to board.

“The schooner was driven high up on the shoals in a boiling bed of breakers,” according to an original report provided by the Outer Banks History Center.

The schooner’s lifeboats were gone and there was “no sign of life,” another report said.

Rescue crews returned four days later, after conditions improved.

They found food on the galley stove, clothing in lockers, three pairs of boots in the captain’s cabin, and a bed recently slept in, according to a 1921 Virginian-Pilot report.

Crews took ashore a gray six-toed cat found in good condition on board. It is believed the cat left a line of six-toed progeny on the Outer Banks, including one that lives today around the Hatteras ferry docks, historian Danny Couch said.

The crew may have abandoned the ship at sea and tried unsuccessfully to reach the shore in lifeboats. The U.S. Weather Bureau said a series of hurricanes in the Atlantic may have caused the Deering and other ships at the time to wreck or disappear. But the ghost ship lodged on the shoals in good shape.

A steamship in the area, the Hewitt, could have taken the crew aboard to save them from a storm, Schwarzer said. The Hewitt later sank with all its crew and possibly took down the Deering survivors with it.

Capt. Wormell’s widow and some shipping officials believed pirates raided the ship and killed the crew. The Bath, N.C., Daily Times reported in June 1921:

“Romantic and impossible as pirate theories appear to be in these modern days, the investigation conducted by the allied departments … seems to substantiate the belief that a torpedo boat chaser purchased from some foreign government … has been outfitted as a pirate craft and is preying upon vessels in the South Atlantic.”

Papers found at a Russian communist office in New York called for members to seize U.S ships. The Deering could have been one of the targets, according to reports of the day.

Three other ships disappeared around the same time, raising speculation that it was the work of pirates or Russians. Rum runners – illegal alcohol smugglers – also were suspected of taking the ship and “dashing off into the darkness.”

Or the men could have mutinied.

Wormell told a friend on Barbados during the voyage that he had no faith in his crew. The crew likely would have kept the ship and sailed away rather than beach her, a report said.

But searches along the Eastern Seaboard never turned up any bodies, boats or conclusive evidence.

Meanwhile, locals salvaged parts of the ship. The Coast Guard blew up the remains to eliminate it as a navigation hazard. Beams from the ship are exposed at times on an Ocracoke beach, Schwarzer said.

The Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum exhibits artifacts including the ship’s bell, a flask and a steam-powered windlass, or winch.

Still missing is an explanation.

“It’s such an alluring story because nobody was ever able to solve it,” Schwarzer said.

Last edited by a moderator:
A newspaper article about a ghost ship mystery from 96 years ago (the ghost ship, not the newspaper article).

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/h...cle_7921af1b-1d96-5bb9-b3ec-bbab9f2fc670.html

more at link above
-----------------------------
A five-masted schooner slammed into shoals off Hatteras 96 years ago today with sails fully engaged – and not one soul on board.

Only a healthy six-toed cat greeted the Coast Guardsmen sent to the rescue.

The Carroll A. Deering has been known ever since as the “ghost ship.”

“This is still one of the great unsolved maritime mysteries,” said Joe Schwarzer, director of the North Carolina Maritime Museums. “There are any number of potential explanations for it.”

At least five government agencies, including the Coast Guard and the FBI, investigated the wreck while family members and locals could only speculate about what happened.

The 225-foot Deering left Boston and picked up a load of coal in Norfolk in late 1920, bound for South America. The Deering company hired W.B. Wormell to replace Capt. William Merritt, who became too sick to make the voyage.
I can imagine some of these empty ships has been attacked by pirates.

I can imagine some of these empty ships has been attacked by pirates.

In the case of the schooner Carroll A. Deering piracy or some similar foul play was strongly suspected at the time. The recent Pilot Online article (cited above) conflicts with contemporary newspaper accounts as to how well-provisioned the Deering was when found, and it completely omits mention of a pretty solid clue to what happened.

Here are some passages from an article in the St. Petersburg Times from June 22, 1921:

Page 1:

(General mention that the State Department had initiated an investigation ... )

The summary of the history of the Deering case as sent to consults by the state department discloses that when the Deering passed Cape Lookout light ship North Carolina, on Jan. 29, while bound from Rio de Janeiro for Norfolk, a man other than the master reported that the vessel had lost both anchors and asked to be reported to the owners.

Two days later the vessel was found on the beach in what the state department describes as "in such condition that there is every suspicion of foul play having occurred."

The department's summary also says that a short time after the Deering passed the light ship, a seamer [steamer?], the name of which has not been ascertained, passed the light vessel and was asked to strop and take a message for forwarding, but no response was received to the "numerous attempts on the part of the master of the lightship to attract the vessel's attention."

The department's summary then says that on April 11, the following message was picked up in a bottle near Cape Hatteras:

"Deering captured by oil burning boat something like chaser, taking off everything, handcuffing crew. Crew hiding all over ship. No chance to make escape. Finder please notify headquarters of Deering."

"The schooner carried a motor life boat and a dory," the state department's summary continues, "but neither of them has been picked up and no wreckage from them has been found. Most of the provisions, clothing and supplies of the vessel had been removed."

(NOTE: A photo of the Deering at Cape Lookout lightship, claimed to be from January 28 rather than 29, can be seen on the Wikipedia entry for the Deering and its mystery ... )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carroll_A._Deering

Now here's the clue the most recent article didn't bother to mention ...

Page 3:

PORTLAND, Me., June 21. - The theory that pirates are afloat in the north Atlantic has found credence here. Belief in this explanation of the fate of the recently missing shipps has grown with establishment of the fact that the message - In a bottle picked up two months ago - north of Cape Hatteras, purporting to explain the disappearance of the crew of the five-masted Bath schooner Carroll A. Deering, mystery ship off Diamond Shoals, was written by Henry Bates of Islesboro, Me., a member of the crew.

Question of its geniuneness was settled today by handwriting experts who compared it with letters written by Bates. The unsigned note stated that the schooner had been captured by an oil-burning craft, something like a sub chaser, that the members of the crew who were hiding all over the ship with no chance to escape were being handcuffed and that everything was being taken off.

... [T]he investigation was started by the state department, the department of commerce, the coast guard and other government agencies to establish the fate of the missing crew, which consisted of 12 men besides the captain. They are working on the theory that the oil steamer Hewitt which disappeared in the same locality at about the same time while bound from Texas to Boston, was captured by the same pirate crew.

SOURCE: https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=9EwDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6811,5212678&hl=en

Furthermore, there has long been suspicion the Deering mystery may have somehow been connected to the disappearance of the steamer Hewitt in the same general area at the same time. It was suggested back in 1921 that the two ships may have collided, and the Hewitt might have taken the Deering's crew on board before sailing off into oblivion.

As to the Hewitt itself ... Few accounts mention the following Atlantic City sighting, as described in the Wilmington, North Carolina's The Sunday Morning Star on February 6, 1921:

Boston, Feb. 5. - No word had been received in Boston tonight concerning the tank steamer Hewitt, bound from Sabine, Texas, to Boston, with a large cargo of sulphur and which was due to arrive here Monday.

The Hewitt is a 1000-ton steamer, owned by the Union Sulphur Company of New York. It left Sabine January 22, and no reports have been received since. Mariners believe she may have struck a derelict or met with other accident.

Wednesday night coast guards at Atlantic City reported hearing an explosion and seeing a flash about twenty miles off shore. They said at the time they believed some vessel had been blown up. The Hewitt's course would take her past Atlantic City.

SOURCE: https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=FgMGAAAAIBAJ&pg=3724,3829858&hl=en

(NOTE: The preceding Wednesday would have been February 2.)

Do we get illuminated as to what Bates's position on the boat was? :twisted:

The contemporary newspaper articles usually refer to him as a crew member (in general). I've seen later sources (e.g., the book by Bland Simpson) that refer to Bates as the ship's engineer or mechanic.

There are variations in citations of his first name. Most of the newspaper accounts call him Henry, but other writings on the subject call him Herbert.

Last edited:
Why are people so scared of cannibal rats anyway? They after all eat one another. :)

People are afraid of both cannibals and rats. Put the two together, and you can get some real fear-factor going! :evillaugh:

I recently heard John Cooper Clarke outlining his forthcoming screenplay "Parrot in a Car" - which apparently will be far superior to "Snakes on a Plane". Sorry JCC, but I feel cannibal rats on a ghost ship may have taken the genre to a new level - unless PETA bankrupts the project by insisting the rats own the intellectual property rights (see PC gorn mad thread).

Why are people so scared of cannibal rats anyway? They after all eat one another. :)

if the rats were cannibals, does that mean that in the end there would be ONE HUGE master rat left -presumably because he'd (?) eaten all the others..... sheesh no wonder people were scared lol

Reactions: RaM
At least someone is doing something with her last time I saw her she looked rough.

Last I heard it was bought by some eastern European businessman. He seems to have ordered the paint job.

I've often walked alongside the ship and admired the paintings. It was a shock when they disappeared.

Reactions: RaM
Then there's the Ellen Austen...

The ship's name was Ellen Austin, and it was not the ghost ship. The alleged story goes as follows ...

Ellen Austin
discovered an abandoned ship in the Atlantic, transferred some of its own crew to sail the ghost ship to port, lost touch with the ghost ship, and finally re-located it only to find the skeleton crew was missing as well.

Some accounts name the ghost ship as the Duke of Portland.

See: https://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda2_00006f.htm

Note the review comment appended to this item, claiming the tale came from a 1944 collection of short stories - Selected Stories of Morley Roberts. The tale can be reviewed in the Google Books edition of this collection:

https://books.google.com/books?id=R...e&q="Duke of Portland" "Ellen Austin"&f=false

Here's a new one, in Myanmar ...

'Ghost ship' runs aground on Myanmar coast
Police in Myanmar are searching a large rusty container ship for clues after it was spotted by fishermen mysteriously drifting near the region of Yangon.

The vessel, bearing the name "Sam Ratulangi PB 1600", was discovered earlier this week floating near the coast of Myanmar's commercial capital.

"There were no sailors or goods on the vessel," the Yangon police said.

Authorities and navy personnel boarded the ship on Thursday to investigate after it ran aground, the police added.

In a statement posted on Facebook, the Yangon police said the ship was "stranded on the beach [and it was] bearing an Indonesian flag".

Aung Kyaw Linn, the general secretary of the Independent Federation of Myanmar Seafarers, said the vessel was still in working order, the Myanmar Times reports.

He said he suspected that the ship was only recently abandoned, adding: "There must be a reason."

The vessel, which was built in 2001, is more than 177 metres (580 ft) long, according to the Marine Traffic website, which logs the movements of ships around the world.

The ship's location was last recorded off the coast of Taiwan in 2009, and this is the first reported instance of an abandoned ship appearing in Myanmar's waters, according to the AFP news agency.

SOURCE: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-45377707

Back