• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Derren Brown investigates

I'm recording the series. We saw a bit of it last night but were too tired to see it all. Looked good though. :D

There was a review of it in t'Guardian last week, unfortunately full of spoilers but still entertaining.

Edit - Pete Cashmore's Screen burn: Derren Brown Investigates:'Medium Joe Power even manages to direct Derren to the lavatory in a snide manner'

:lol:

Further edit -
‘Psychic’ Joe Power and the Two-Man-Mob

A discussion of Joe Power by the Merseyside Skeptics' Society. Very funny indeed, and yup, it mentions Powers' then forthcoming appearance with Derren Brown. :D

Joe Power seemed like a very nice man so it was a pity he had to be shown up as a complete fraud. No, wait, Joe Power didn't seem like a very nice man at all and it was refreshing he was shown up as a complete fraud. Yeah, that's better.

He also seemed like a porky Michael Stipe with a bladder problem.

I wonder why he kept going to the bathroom? Was he really snooping?

He could have been using the opportunity to have a quick look at any family photos or anything else which might help him with his despicable, fraudulent act .

Or he might actually be able to contact the dead and he just happened to really need to go to the toilet :?

He looks like a scarey bleeder if you ask me! It was so obvious that he had tons of information on that woman with the massively applied *and her daughters too, ) fake tan! Everything. She was also a bit overly compliant. His sister's neighbour, and he accused Deren of being shifty! HAHA! I think he went to the toilet before each visit to try and Google, or phone someone to see if they could garner things too, but failed. Cornered like a rat, he acted like a typical "believer". I expected him to be more camp than he was though. Good expose'!

Maybe Derren heard he had a sneaky habit of "going to the toilet" upon entering a house... which is why Derren did the same upon entering his... to psych him out a bit?

:shock:

You do realise, don't you, that now you've rumbled Brown he'll know, and you'll find HIM in YOUR bathroom? :lol:

I think Joe Powers must have went to the Sherlie Ghostman school of mediumship.

A bit of the shooting fish in a barrel about last night's, well, who knew a half baked cult promising miracles would be utter bullshit? But fun to see Derren take them on, even if I got angry at the cult leaders making so much money out of the vulnerable.

What I'd really like to see would be Derren taking aim at a bigger target. Derren vs the Scientologists, anyone?

After a short break, the final episode is back tonight:

Derren Brown Investigates: The Ghosthunter

Derren meets Lou Gentile, a top American ghost hunter who for the last 20 years, has been helping people rid themselves of unwanted ghostly companions. Lou not only claims that he can prove the existence of spirits, but that they are sometimes powerful enough to kill.

This must have a been filmed a while back, as Gentile passed away in June 2009.

CLIPS

Unless...

:eek!!!!:

He IS the Antichrist.

I just watched the Joe Power episode on 4oD on YouTube.

I have to admit that Derren Brown has kind of passed me by up to now - partly because I haven't owned a TV for several years, and never much bothered with it when I did, and partly because a friend of mine, who went out with a professional magician, couldn't stand him and used to go on about it all the time. (I didn't take much notice but possibly her diatribes worked on me subliminally.)

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised. I was kind of expecting a rabid, hardcore sceptic but instead found someone who didn't appear to be hungry to get an exposé at all costs, whose chosen expert did not baldly claim that his subject was a fraud, and who wound up the programme with a comment concerning the possibility that the comfort mediums can provide may be being more important than where the information comes from. All in all it seemed pretty even-handed - which made the obvious conclusions all the more powerful.

thethingishere said:
I think Joe Powers must have went to the Sherlie Ghostman school of mediumship.

Or Clinton Baptiste's -

'Now, I'm getting the word....NONCE!'*

sherbertbizarre said:

I seem to recall that Will Storr vs The Supernatural starts with an episode with Lou Gentile. I've seen the book described as sceptical - and I know some of it is - but, if I remember rightly, Storr had a couple of shityerpants moments with Mr Gentile that he did not even attempt to explain away because they were so vivid.

*Edit: I've just noticed that Joe Power gets a mention in the comments.

It's safe to say that Derren didn't have any scary moments, judging by his chuckling the laughter of the fatigued at the end. I noticed the copyright date at the end was 2009, so this series must have been sitting on the shelf for a while.

I thought last night's had the chance to be the most convincing, but in effect it was one step away from "have a look at my orb photograph collection". The priest was especially egregious what with his piece of the true cross (what is this, the Middle Ages?). Oh well.

gncxx said:
...I thought last night's had the chance to be the most convincing, but in effect it was one step away from "have a look at my orb photograph collection". The priest was especially egregious what with his piece of the true cross (what is this, the Middle Ages?). Oh well.

That's a shame, I was thinking the same.

I re-read the Lou Gentile section of Will Storr's book last night and it was, as I'd remembered, pretty hair-raising for the author. Admittedly, orbs did enter the equation on both the occasions where Storr accompanied Gentile on his visits, but there was quite a lot of other stuff going on too. And Gentile comes across as pretty down to earth and not at all barnstorming.

It's confusion I feel first. Then a small swell of horror. This wasn't meant to be part of the story. Lou Gentile is supposed to be crazy, and we're supposed to laugh...

And then I realise what it is...The reason that I've had this rising, unsettling feeling that something's not right with my story. It's the way Lou talks about his subject. He isn't telling me boastful tales of incredible bravery, or raging against imagined conspiracies or wearing a hat made out of tin-foil. This American eccentric, I suddenly realise, doesn't appear to be eccentric at all.

I'll be interested to see if that description sits well with how Gentile comes across in the programme.

Gentile seemed a nice enough guy, and Derren said as much in the programme, but he wouldn't consider anything other than the supernatural explanation which made him look blinkered. What he should have been asked was whether any of his investigations had drawn a blank... too late to ask now.

He did at least refuse payment for his work, which was noble I thought, especially with so many potential charlatans about in this area.

Back