• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Derren Brown: Master Mind-Manipulator

Good, that's something to watch at the weekend - but didn't he try to stage an assassination before, the one where the guy was programmed to kill Stephen Fry at the theatre? Sounds like Derren's repeating himself.

my BF and I were walking past the theatre as he left and met him then
Did he do the head-nod thing?? Or reflect your mannerisms/stance/voice back to you? He does it INSTANTLY, like an alien copy of a human.

He looks at you very intensely
Oh, absolutely. His eyes are like drills. And not in a false/affected way. He is an elemental force.

Tiny, brilliant man!!
Precisely. He is very bird-like. Hence his parrot-passion.

I've met a few famous people in my time, and he is one that is unquestionably more-impressive in person and on stage, than he is on television. Which is frequently the reverse of what we all normally expect.....

The head nod!! It's practically imperceptible in real life but he is drawing you in through tiny mannerisms and reflections. And you are forewarned! you know that he can do these things but you simply cannot guard against them.

I love it most when he is talking about the history of stage magic, that sends a thrill down my spine.

Good, that's something to watch at the weekend - but didn't he try to stage an assassination before, the one where the guy was programmed to kill Stephen Fry at the theatre? Sounds like Derren's repeating himself.
The Netflix programme has been promoted as Derren playing to a global audience, instead of just Britain. So, yes, he has done similar things before (he has done compliance experiments before, based on the Milgram experiment about authority) but it is iterated differently and is still fascinating; there are two pockets of especial interest, at least for me, amongst the general interest of the show.

Well, that was disappointing, it was just Derren's previous Channel 4 special with re-shot intro and interstitial bits. Got ten minutes in and realised I'd seen it all before. Hope he can do something new next.

Derren Brown's just slapped down Glenn Close:
Slap happy story

And was slapped back! Says "TO BE CONTINUED" at the end of the video, so presumably a stunt (they are laughing). Huh?

I found out on Saturday that a work colleague claims he was taught to shoot much better by yer man. Apparently 10 minutes was all it took for his groupings to improve markedly. This, note, while they were both members of the school cadet force.

I saw "Showman" last night.

I was very impressed. At one point he does that thing of explaining the illusion as it's happening but still manages to trick you.

Something happened on the stage that he said a percentage of the audience would have no memory of and I was one of them.

Although I feel discombobulated at how he was able to trick me :frust: I still fancy him a bit :p

Back