Destination Mars!

INT21

Justified & Ancient
And Dubai is, in many ways, the worst possible example. One wonder if the water will run out before the oil.

Desalination is not a long term solution (if you will excuse the pun). The salt extracted has to go somewhere.

It's a rich boys playground. I was there (actually Sharjah, just up the road) in the early seventies when it was just a fishing port.

INT21.

Frasier Buddolph

CAUTION: May not know what he's talking about.
Won't that move Moon & Mars colonisation UP the ladder? The rich and powerful will want to leave if the planet goes tits up.
They may want to leave, but there's nowhere to go. And all of them combined don't have enough money to change that, at least not in the time available.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
Most powerful man in the World says it is all false news anyway.

INT21.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
It's not just food supply that's an issue. New land isn't being made (OK, Holland and Dubai are exceptions) and other resources are in limited supply.
I'd guess that the majority of inhabited land in Hong Kong is recovered from the sea.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
..I'd guess that the majority of inhabited land in Hong Kong is recovered from the sea.

And if the sea level rises by a Metre or so then Hong Kong will be in deep trouble .

Along with places like Holland.

INT21.

..I'd guess that the majority of inhabited land in Hong Kong is recovered from the sea.

And if the sea level rises by a Metre or so then Hong Kong will be in deep trouble .

Along with places like Holland.

INT21.
Dykes will save them!

tastyintestines

Justified & Ancient
Sorry for the optimism and speck of faith in humanity. There are a lot of books on human ingenuity, endurance, adaptability and inventiveness if you want further evidence. We have other threads that are the proper place for conversations about educating women and lowering birth rates and increased yield leading to less land usage and runoff control thru vegetation, etc..:p

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
It appears the for-profit components of Mars One are kaput (bankrupt). It's unclear what's happening with the Mars One Foundation.
Mars One is dead
The company that aimed to put humanity on the red planet has met an unfortunate, but wholly-expected end. Mars One Ventures, the for-profit arm of the Mars One mission was declared bankrupt back in Jaunary, but wasn't reported until a keen-eyed Redditor found the listing. It was the brainchild of Dutch entrepreneur Bas Lansdorp, previously the founder of green energy company Ampyx Power. Lansdorp's aim was to start a company that could colonize one of our nearest neighbors.

Mars One was split into two ventures, the non-profit Mars One Foundation and the for-profit Mars One Ventures. The Swiss-based Ventures AG was declared bankrupt by a Basel court on January 15th and was, at the time, valued at almost $100 million. Mars One Ventures PLC, the UK-registered branch, is listed as a dormant company with less than £20,000 in its accounts.

There is no data available on the non-profit Mars One Foundation, which funded itself by charging its commercial partner licensing fees. Speaking to Engadget, Bas Lansdorp said that the Foundation is still operating, but won't be able to act without further investment. Lansdorp declined to give further comment beyond saying that he was working with other parties "to find a solution." ...
FULL STORY: https://www.engadget.com/2019/02/11/mars-one-is-dead/

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Last edited:
The question for me is how long before we find the first Martian fossil
A new study now reveals the extent of underground water on ancient Mars that was previously only predicted by models.

"Early Mars was a watery world, but as the planet's climate changed this water retreated below the surface to form pools and 'groundwater'," says lead author Francesco Salese of Utrecht University, the Netherlands.

"We traced this water in our study, as its scale and role is a matter of debate, and we found the first geological evidence of a planet-wide groundwater system on Mars."

First evidence of planet-wide groundwater system on Mars via PhysOrg