• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Detonating Nukes On The Moon (Project A119, Etc.)

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Here's a good one:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 64114.html

US Military chiefs, keen to intimidate Russia during the Cold War, plotted to blow up the moon with a nuclear bomb, according to project documents kept secret for for nearly 45 years.

The army chiefs allegedly developed a top-secret project called, 'A Study of Lunar Research Flights' – or 'Project A119', in the hope that their Soviet rivals would be intimidated by a display of America’s Cold War muscle.

According to The Sun newspaper the military bosses developed a classified plan to launch a nuclear weapon 238,000 miles to the moon where it would be detonated upon impact.

The planners reportedly opted for an atom bomb, rather than a hydrogen bomb, because the latter would be too heavy for the missile.

Physicist Leonard Reiffel, who says he was involved in the project, claims the hope was that the flash from the bomb would intimidate the Russians following their successful launching of the Sputnik satellite in October 1957.

The planning of the explosion reportedly included calculations by astronomer Carl Sagan, who was then a young graduate.

Documents reportedly show the plan was abandoned because of fears it would have an adverse effect on Earth should the explosion fail.

The scientists were also, reportedly, concerned about about contaminating the moon with radioactive material, Mr Reiffel said.

The US government has never formally confirmed its involvement in the study.

Sounds like someone's idea of a joke, but apparently it's true. It would be fair to be sceptical, I suppose. Also reminds me of the sketch from the hilarious 90s comedy Mr Show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csj7vMKy4EI

Blow up the Moon and doom us all?
Clever, clever. :twisted:

Actually they were "just" trying to blow a big hole into the dark side of the moon - not blow the whole thing up. I don't think they could have done that - and it would have been monumentally stupid anyway.

My mother used to go on about 'Them' wanting to 'put an atom bomb on the moon' back in the early 70s. I thought she was just talking rubbish as usual, wonder how she knew about it?

Apropos of nothing, I thought that The Independent prided itself on being - ummm - independent? Instead of which they've just slightly reworded an article from The Sun. Who in turn acknowledge their source as being the Associated Press.

NowLeonard Reiffel and Project A119 appear to both be real enough, according to the all-knowing Wikipedia. But this story and Reiffel's contribution to it date from a 1999 biography of Carl Sagan and its subsequent media coverage.

And it's obvious that none of the many news sources now regurgitating this tale have made even the slightest effort to do any original research into it.

So why has a 13-yr-old story suddenly become newsworthy?

Also, I'm slightly baffled by the science. The US was perfectly happy to test nuclear bombs on the Earth. And yet they decided not to test a bomb on the Moon - a quarter of a million miles way - because of the "danger to people on Earth"?

graylien said:
...Also, I'm slightly baffled by the science. The US was perfectly happy to test nuclear bombs on the Earth. And yet they decided not to test a bomb on the Moon - a quarter of a million miles way - because of the "danger to people on Earth"?

With the tests on Earth they knew where the bomb was, or exactly where they were dropping it. With launching a bomb to the Moon, it's the first two hundred miles or so that are the problem, if the rocket explodes during lauch (and in 1959 they were still apt to do this), or fails to achieve escape velocity, and a live nuke randomly falls back to Earth, or achieves a decaying orbit and then explodes on re-entry, burns-up and scatters a trail of radioactive debris, or survives reentry and contaminates the impact area, they have a problem (especially if it comes down in the Soviet Union...).

in an alternate reality this was indeed done and the moon destroyed, the earth was turned into a living hell with almost everyone killed, this explains the giant leap in ghost sightings across the globe as the fabic between these alternate reality worlds over laps and a glimpse of the moon destroyed world and its inhabitants is given to our very eyes....

i am getting better the doctors tell me !!!

Jonfairway said:
in an alternate reality this was indeed done and the moon destroyed, the earth was turned into a living hell with almost everyone killed, this explains the giant leap in ghost sightings across the globe as the fabic between these alternate reality worlds over laps and a glimpse of the moon destroyed world and its inhabitants is given to our very eyes....

i am getting better the doctors tell me !!!

Leave out the ghosts; its a good scenario for an SF novel.

Jonfairway said:
my god i had a good idea :)

thank you kind sir

I always thought you had a talent for purveying fiction Jon...... ;)

graylien said:
... And it's obvious that none of the many news sources now regurgitating this tale have made even the slightest effort to do any original research into it.

So why has a 13-yr-old story suddenly become newsworthy? ...

I've noticed a number of 'old Fortean stories' being recycled in the press (without any new information or analysis) in the last year or so. My theory is that the traditional press is increasingly adopting stories from dynamically-changing online sources (e.g., the blogosphere), they're judging 'newsworthiness' in terms of 'novelty', and in turn they're evaluating 'novelty' in terms of recent appearance on the 'Net (regardless of prior appearance / resolution / etc.).

I must admit it seems to me exploding a nuclear weapon on the Moon, would do little to scare people. The explosions on Earth are easily visible, showing the devastation, the heat created, the giant smoke pillar. If you blew one up on the Moon, most people would just see a flash of light and then later an extra crater among a whole bunch of other craters. Seems like it would be kind of underwhelming.

Had the Americans actually carried out the plan I expect the Soviets would simply have exploded a bigger nuke on the Moon just to show they could do it too, and they did have a penchant for seriously big nukes too.

Just a passing note that tells me scientists are idiots at time.

The released information in the past from the AATIP program claimed the U.S. wanted to nuke our moon.

The excuse was to see what was underneath the surface.

Beside being idiotic, what information could have been that valuable to know, plus destroying our Moon at the same time ?

... The released information in the past from the AATIP program claimed the U.S. wanted to nuke our moon. ...

This isn't new news ... The Project A119 documentation was declassified circa 2000.

Last edited:

The released information in the past from the AATIP program claimed the U.S. wanted to nuke our moon.

Beside being idiotic, what information could have been that valuable to know, plus destroying our Moon at the same time ?
It really wouldn't have done much damage, just leaving another crater. However, it would have thrown up dust that could be spectroscopically analysed from afar.

"Seveneves". Just sayin'

Bear in mind that the Moon has been hit by impacts far larger than any nuclear weapon we have ever manufactured. The largest crater on the Moon, the South Pole–Aitken Basin, was caused by an impactor with the energy of billions of megatons - but this impact did not destroy the Moon.

Our entire nuclear arsenal, added to that of the rest of the world, would do little more than add a few minor craters.

Back