• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Devil's Footprints / Hoofprints

wembley8 said:
QuaziWashboard said:
How would you recognise a djinn (or genie) footprint?

It all depends on your background. If you're a Muslim, it's a Jinn; if your various sorts of Christian, it has to be the Devil.
So...to various sorts of Christians, that well known sixties show I Dream Of Genie starring a very young Larry Hagman is actualy Satanic? What about that well known Hanna-Barbera cartoon character Genie and her bumbling aprentice Baboo? Are they Satanic too?

I don't suppose that there was any mention of other footprints leading to or going away from the "devils footprints" before the area became trammelled with observer footprints?

QuaziWashboard said:
So...to various sorts of Christians, that well known sixties show I Dream Of Genie starring a very young Larry Hagman is actualy Satanic? What about that well known Hanna-Barbera cartoon character Genie and her bumbling aprentice Baboo? Are they Satanic too?

You haven't spent much time with evangelical types, have you? :)

Anything supernatural not coming direct from The Big Guy is satanic in their view. As it says here -
http://www.visionforum.com/hottopics/ne ... d=07-22-05

You have cherished fond childhood memories of these icons of twentieth-century culture. There is massive sentimental value associated with these stories. If the principles articulated in this paper are true, then there could be some substantial boat-rocking in your life — perhaps even some changes in your reading or viewing diet. I hear you. My own boat has been substantially rocked over the years as I have considered the implications of the character of God and His law-word upon the icons of modern culture.

wembley8 said:

Anything supernatural not coming direct from The Big Guy is satanic in their view.

Maybe he hasn't but I certainly have and the Evangelical worldview I know certainly doesn't resonate with the one you claim.

Do things differ that much across the Pond?

OldTimeRadio said:
wembley8 said:

Anything supernatural not coming direct from The Big Guy is satanic in their view.

Maybe he hasn't but I certainly have and the Evangelical worldview I know certainly doesn't resonate with the one you claim.

Do things differ that much across the Pond?
Apparently....they do.
As it happens, someone very close to me is an Evangelist, and although she's calmed down a bit now, for quite a few years she was convinced that I was being led by evil forces just because I listen to rock music and my birthday happens to be 21/6/66, that also, by coincidence, happens to be that well known Pagan date otherwise known as Summer Solstice.
For her, that was bad enough but then I joined a Black Sabbath tribute band. That was it for her, she was convinced I was spreading the word of the Devil, I was the antichrist, and I'd come to take over the world. Believe me, there was a big scene involving a lot of tears. I even tried to get her to read a few of the lyrics I'd be singing because as any Sabbath fan can tell you, they don't actualy write songs condoning Satan or anything like that. Quite the reverse. When they do write a song about Satanism or any related subject, (and most of their songs are not about Satanism or any related subject, contrary to popular belief) it's invariably a warning about Satanism telling the listener not to get involved. They've even written pro-Christian material such as 'After Forever.' (I've placed the lyrics here; http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 474#701474 if anyone's interested)
I also tried to show her photos of them all wearing crucifixes (proper ones, not inverted ones) which for quite a while, you wouldn't see any pictures of them without crucifixes. But would she look at any of it? Not a chance.
Then I found out that she'd had the entire church that she attends praying for my unclean soul, which I wasn't happy about because it meant that she'd basicaly told a lot of people who are complete strangers to me that I was some sort of evil minion, which, no matter how you look at it, is at the very least, slander.
Things are OK between us now, (but still occasionaly strained) but for a long time it was a real problem. I even considered leaving the band, but then I came to my senses and thought 'Why should I give up something I enjoy doing and does no harm to anyone else, just to suit the paranoid delusions of someone?' Especialy someone who's completely unwilling to see sense, have a look at all the evidence before making a judgment about me, or even consider looking at it from my point of view.
I realise that one 'nutter' isn't necessarily an example of an entire religious community, but it's interesting to note that not one of those people who 'prayed' for me to change my evil ways actualy took the time to find out if I was actualy doing anything 'evil' in the first place. They just took her word for it because it was jolly exciting for them to be using the power of prayers to battle the 'forces of evil'.....which was me apparently, so they just took her at her word and 'assumed' that I was some sort of degenerate, Satan worshiping, scourge upon the human race.

Well............I don't worship Satan anyway. ;)

Let me just add that over here I was converted to Darwinist Evolution 40 years ago by a conservative, evangelical Southern Baptist pastor.

Mike Dash's stuff on the "Devil's Hoofmark's" from Fortean Studies 1 & 3 is online here: http://www.mikedash.com/investigations_devil_about.htm Makes one long for the days when there was a 'journal' of strange phemomena :(

What strikes me reading it is that the Devon incident is one of many, which appears to have come to the fore due to the contagion that accompanied it.

OldTimeRadio said:
Let me just add that over here I was converted to Darwinist Evolution 40 years ago

I think that statement answers your question about how different things are on this side of the pond.

Hospitaller said:
Mike Dash's stuff on the "Devil's Hoofmark's" from Fortean Studies 1 & 3 is online here: http://www.mikedash.com/investigations_devil_about.htm Makes one long for the days when there was a 'journal' of strange phemomena :(

What strikes me reading it is that the Devon incident is one of many, which appears to have come to the fore due to the contagion that accompanied it.

Brilliant find Hospitaller.

And I agree about the Journal!

wembley8 said:
OldTimeRadio said:
Let me just add that over here I was converted to Darwinist Evolution 40 years ago

I think that statement answers your question about how different things are on this side of the pond.

And this was a fellow who described himself as a Fundamentalist.

The key bit on roof prints, from Mike Dash's original source, letters to the Illustrated London News:

Two other gentlemen, resident in the same parish, pursued a line of prints during three hours and a half, marking their progress under gooseberry-bushes and espalier fruit-trees; and then, missing them, regained sight of the impression on the roofs of some houses to which their march of investigation brought them. These gentlemen "swear to claws." Upon which my correspondent (a member of the Society of Antiquaries) observes, "We incline to believe they must be otters, driven out in quest of food [40]. Our friend felt toe-marks at the contracted part of the print, though they were not discernible by the eye

I have to wonder if the photo of the foot prints were of the actual prints, or a recreation based on reports.
The prints look like they were made by a pony size horse shoe to me, but not by any pony. Besides how linear the trail is, the inside of the track is missing an imprint of the "frog," the soft triangular part on the bottom of a horse's hoof.
Very interesting article—I hope very much it's not based on exaggerations or poor observations!

Just a question, these footprints were supposed to be in the shape of horse shoes yes? Well why would the devil wear iron horse shoes? Who is the devils farrier? Doesn't the devil traditionally have cloven hooves?

Who is the devils farrier?
That would be Saint Dunstan.
Dunstan_and_the_Devil_-_Project_Gutenberg_eText_13978.png

That would be Saint Dunstan.
Dunstan_and_the_Devil_-_Project_Gutenberg_eText_13978.png
This is such an awesome image! It reminds me of children who don't want to put their shoes on.
In reality, it does not hurt a horse/donkey/mule to be shod.

Back