Diamonds: Natural, Synthetic & Simulated

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member

EnolaGaia

Staff member
People keep finding diamonds at the Arkansas park ...
A vacationing teacher finds a 2.12-carat diamond at an Arkansas state park

This Nebraska teacher will surely win show-and-tell once the school year begins.

Josh Lanik, 36, was vacationing with his family when he discovered a brandy-colored gem at Crater of Diamonds State Park in Murfreesboro, Arkansas.

"It was blatantly obvious there was something different about it," Lanik said, according to a press release from the park issued Monday. "I saw the shine, and when I picked it up and rolled it in my hand, I noticed there weren't any sharp edges."

The teacher from Hebron, Nebraska, showed the stone to his wife and then put the treasure in a bag where he collected other finds. The family spent two hours looking through the park's 37.5-acre diamond search area on July 24. Before leaving, they stopped by the Diamond Discovery Center in the park to see what kind of treasure they'd unearthed.

Unbeknownst to Lanik, he was carrying around the largest diamond found in the park so far this year. It weighed in at 2.12-carat.

More than 75,000 diamonds have been unearthed at the park since the first ones were discovered in 1906. So far this year, 296 diamonds have been registered at the park, weighing a total of 53.94 carats. ...
SOURCE: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/teacher-finds-diamond-crater-of-diamonds-trnd-scn/index.html

EnolaGaia

Staff member
A Texas woman has just discovered the largest diamond found at Crater of Diamonds in over 2 years ...
Arkansas park visitor finds 3.72-carat yellow diamond

A visitor to Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas found a 3.72-carat yellow diamond, the largest diamond found at the park in over two years.

Miranda Hollingshead, 27, of Bogata, Texas, said she was sitting at the base of a hill on the northeast side of the park and watching a YouTube video on her phone about how to find diamonds when she looked down and spotted the gem.

"I shook my hand across it to make sure what it was, picked it up, and yelled across the field to my mom, 'I think I got one!'" Hollingshead said.

The family headed to the park's Diamond Discovery Center, where officials confirmed it was a 3.72-carat yellow diamond. Officials said it was the largest diamond found by a park visitor since March 2017, and the largest yellow diamond found there since October 2013.

Park Interpreter Waymon Cox said recent weather likely contributed to Hollingshead's discovery.

"Much of the ground where Ms. Hollingshead found her diamond is made of unweathered volcanic rock," Cox said.

"When it rains, flowing runoff often leaves loose gravel, and sometimes diamonds, on the surface in these areas. Diamonds have a brilliant, adamantine luster that makes them easy to spot, and Ms. Hollingshead happened to be sitting in just the right place to see the diamond sparkle in the sun," he said. ...
SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2019/0...finds-372-carat-yellow-diamond/5321566408372/

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Mph. Bet its not gem quality.

I have found a lot of semi precious stones on Cornish beaches. My favorites are the agates.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
This recent oddball diamond discovery is the first of its kind ...
Tiny, One-of-a-Kind Diamond Is Trapped ... Inside Another Diamond

It was a gem of a find. A diamond that was recently extracted from a mine in Yakutia, Russia, had a surprise lurking inside: a tiny, second diamond.

The outer diamond measured about 0.2 inches (4.8 millimeters) long, while the wee stowaway spanned about 0.08 inches (2 mm) long and weighed about 0.0001 ounces (0.004 grams). The hidden gem rattled around inside an air pocket at the heart of the larger stone, and Russian experts who examined the peculiar double gem declared it the only known example of a diamond with another diamond inside it ...

This unusual diamond-in-a-diamond drew comparisons to a traditional Russian toy called a matryoshka doll, in which successively smaller wooden dolls are nested inside bigger dolls, representatives with the Russian diamond mining company Alrosa told Live Science in an email. ...

Workers detected the oddball gem while sorting diamonds in Alrosa's Yakutsk Diamond Trade Enterprise in Yakutia, Alrosa representatives said.

"At first, the crystal did not appear to be any different from other crystals, but when examining it in detail, the sorter noticed movement inside," they said.

The sorter photographed the crystal and delivered it to Alrosa's Research and Development Geological Division ...

But for a diamond to naturally form inside another diamond isn't just rare — it's unheard of, said geologist George Harlow, a curator in the Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City.

"I have no knowledge of anything like this in the natural mineral world," he told Live Science in an email. (Harlow was not involved in the analysis of the double diamond).
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/double-diamond-siberia.html