• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Did I Foresee It, Or Did I Make It Happen?

gattino

Justified & Ancient
I have/had a friend who I was once incredibly close to. We fell out a number of years ago and though there's no animosity and he's still on my Facebook etc, I've not seen him since and communication online is rare and brief, though by no means unfriendly. He lives in another city.

Given these circumstances..the notion we are or ought to be considered "entangled", bonded or however you wish to percieve it, yet out of meaningful or current communication, I've often tried to use this to experiment. Could I for example psychically/telepathically will the estranged to get in touch? 2 years ago, I tried this each night and after about 3 nights - but many many months of silence - the phone rang and it was him. I reported it on here.

The failure to replicate this success since may either indicate it was sheer fluke, or - as likely, as far as I'm concerned - because I've lacked the willpower or concentration to do it properly again.

On Saturday night just gone his facebook status mentioned he was in town visiting a friend of his. This has nothng to do with me. Sunday morning however, having to go into the city centre for some food shopping, I found myself taking it all but for granted..or at least playing with the idea.. that I needed to do so now if I were to bump into him in the street (after 3 and half years). I then daydreamed multiple variations on the scenario while travelling on the bus all the way into town. My shopping trip was an ultra rapid one, taking in all of two shops, 4 minutes apart, before heading back to the bus stop, yet by the time I was in town and walking along wiht my shopping I was taking my daydreaming seriously. Given past experience of precogntive dreams and daydreams on the one hand, and hte idea that I ought to be psychically bonded with this person on the other, I found myself treating it as obvious that as he had the previous night been geographically in my orbit, I was going to bump into him this following morning. I even mentally - in both senses! - sent a message to him to hone in on my location and find me. After the second shop (WH Smith to look for the Fortean Times) I headed back to the bus stop, going down a different road than I would have, thanks to that little detour. And who should turn around the corner....

For the curious and sentimental there was no hollywood ending to this reunion..the encounter had all the drama and impact of bumping into the lady from the local post office while browsing in the vegetable aisle. But the matching thoughts that preceded the encounter are of obvious interest. Did something "telepathic" just happen?

Four explanations present themselves. Two sceptical, two fortean. 1) Sheer coincidence, thought and event having no connection beyond being thrown together by chance. 2) My near expectation of bumping into him was a reasonable deduction with a fair likelihood of fulfilment, given my concrete knowledge that he had been inthe same city, presumably near its centre, the previous night. 3) I "knew" precognitively that I was going to encounter him, hence my thoughts and daydreams. 4) My persistent thoughts..including the deliberate conscious "message"...CAUSED him to cross my path on cue.

To the first there is no defense, but it seems to be also itself indefensible. It's the commonest and meanest of explanatons for all startling events, because its unfalsifiable. True or not there's nothing we can do to pursue or test the matter further. The second, that I had concrete reason to expect to bump into him, sounds more logical. But it's not so much. I've never bumped intohim the street in my life even when he lived here, nor do I or did I bump into any other friends, relatives or acquaintances who do actually live here. Though the city centre on a Sunday morning is not teeming with vast throngs of people, Liverpool/merseyside is a conurbation of up to a million people or so, depending on where you draw the line. It might be reasonable to guess if he were visiting someone in the city the night before he might inevitably take tne opportunity to shop or whatever in the town centre the following morning (in fact he said he was off to meet some people), but its more reasonable to me to assume he'd lie in or head for his train home. So I can't credit sceptical explanation number 2 either.

So of what's left, did I foresee it? Or did I make it happen?

The former fits in with past experiences,and my much reported precog dreams. But it was different as it was waking and conscious and bordering on presumption. But its important to note what the sense of "knowing" consisted of. It was not faith or certainty at all. No tingling spider sense or funny feelings. Just a casual acceptance that it would be normal to expect it, a throwaway anticipation of a probable event. When I did see him come into view I don't recall being startled in any way. I had been anticipating it after all. But, conversely, I simultaneously accepted that I had no reason to expect it, and would probably go home with no more than my fantasizing to report.

The most interesting and exciting scenario of course is that I willed the encounter into existence. Exciting because, if true, it would suggest something replicable and useable. So what might might that explanation consist of? Where does hte magic lie? Was it in repeated mental rehearsal of the event in the form of daydreams? Were they shaping it rather than foreseeing it? Or was it in the active effort to telepathically summon him to find me? The rarity of the success, of course, would lie in the fact that - already being in the vicinity- he COULD be summoned to pass me by, somethign that the same mental efforts would fail to achieve if he was hundreds of miles away.

All fancy and speculation, and not the most amazing of tales, but anyone with thoughts, opinions or similar experiences, do tell...

This kind of thing interests me, I am sure most of us have a few precognition stories and I think that willing something to happen can affect the world around us.

You say that you had been close friends with this guy, could you have been more attuned to his likely schedule than you realized? I ask because a former friend often visits an area where I go shopping and I tend to use a reverse version of what you have described, because I don't want to bump into her.

There is an effect known as subject expectancy, which suggests that, even under clinical conditions, we can give off subtle cues which influence situations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subject-expectancy_effect

The existence of telepathy is widely accepted and I would say that is where the roots of your experiment lie. However, in order to prove it is a separate phenomenon you would need to be able to demonstrate repeat manifestations.

Well I tried to analyse that option above, under scenario two - that his presence was something reasonably deduced from known facts. All I can do is reiterate: my sole piece of information is that he was in the same city as me the previous night. There is no other pattern to follow. I've not seen him in 3 and a half years, he's not lived here in more than 5, his precise whereabouts in the city were unknown to me (though as Isaid it was reasonable to imagine he would, if out/visiting on a saturday night, possibly be in the city centre int eh early part of the following day or else on the train home) but precisely where and when or even if are all impossible to surmise or deduce as there is no other information to go on.

There is another scenario I ommitted from my "fortean" options of course. It dawned on me after writing it that its perhaps arrogant to assume myself the powerful mental instigator of the encounter. How do I know that in fact I was not hte one being "summoned". Perhaps my thoughts were symptoms rather than the cause.....

As for past examples. Of precognitive dreams and daydreams, I have countless... I fill these boards with accounts of them. As for evidence of a pattern of psychic "bonding" with the individual in this tale, the principle past example I have (by which I mean if there are others I'll need time to recall them!) is the deliberate and seemingly successful attemtp to will hm to phone me, also mentioned above.

I'm actually worried about thinking this if you see what I mean. I like others have had a few moments of apparent precognition which opens up two equally undesirable options :

a) everything is already laid out and going to happen whatever we do

b) unguarded thoughts can change the future.

I don't like either prospect.

My experience of precognitive dreams (it would be more accurate to say "the precognitive elements of ordinary dreams") has never really left me thinking the future is set and unavoidable per se. The impression it gives me is rahter that in a different state of consciousness (in this case sleep, but also daydreams) our perception of time is different fro the false one we have in ordinary waking life. It's not that the future is out there so much as that in those certain states we see things from a different, wider, perspective.

Rarely, but still occassionally, I've had reasons to doubt whether the future event is already there. Last week I dreamt clearly about winning on a scratchcard dominated by the repetition of the number 4. I won £100, 000. The next morning then I went to he local shop and bought a number 4 (from the various rolls on display) type scratchcard..and won. Er.. £10. The simplest explanation is that my visually similar win is pure coincidence. But if it was actually a case that my dream did actually refer to that win, it throws the whole "fixed future" into doubt. Because I only bought the scratchcard BECAUSE I'd had the dream. So which came first?

Some additional thoughts on the likelihood or inevitability of the encounter in the first post.

It strikes me there is a very heavy sliding door element to it. Or better still a lucky sperm scenario...the acknowledgement that everything, both general and personal, that happened in the world up to the moment of your conception has to have happened just the way it did or you would not be here.

Given the narrowness of my journey through town, both in time and in route, the slightest variation would have stopped us crossing paths at all.

If the Fortean Times had been in WH Smiths (it wasn't) I would have spent an extra couple of minutes in there buying it and he would have long gone from the point where I passed him by the time I got there. If I'd opted not to go to Smiths, or had gone there first I would not have entered the street where we met. If I hadn't caught my bus immediately or bought more or fewer items in teh first shop, again my timing would have varied to a degree that would rule out any crossing of paths. In short all the cues and clues in the world, if any had existed, would still not suffice to make us likely to cross paths.

Of course all of that is irrelevant unless the encounter has significance, but in this case it has, beyond the mere personal. It matched and fulfilled my anticipation and intention.

gattino said:
Some additional thoughts on the likelihood or inevitability of the encounter in the first post.

It strikes me there is a very heavy sliding door element to it. Or better still a lucky sperm scenario...the acknowledgement that everything, both general and personal, that happened in the world up to the moment of your conception has to have happened just the way it did or you would not be here.

Given the narrowness of my journey through town, both in time and in route, the slightest variation would have stopped us crossing paths at all.

If the Fortean Times had been in WH Smiths (it wasn't) I would have spent an extra couple of minutes in there buying it and he would have long gone from the point where I passed him by the time I got there. If I'd opted not to go to Smiths, or had gone there first I would not have entered the street where we met. If I hadn't caught my bus immediately or bought more or fewer items in teh first shop, again my timing would have varied to a degree that would rule out any crossing of paths. In short all the cues and clues in the world, if any had existed, would still not suffice to make us likely to cross paths.

Of course all of that is irrelevant unless the encounter has significance, but in this case it has, beyond the mere personal. It matched and fulfilled my anticipation and intention.

It is an interesting experiment and, as you say, there was only a narrow window of opportunity for the result to occur. Would it be possible to get any feedback from your friend? Is he open to Fortean matters?

Sadly not. Written communication with him is like pulling teeth at the best of times and from my recollectionof past occassions when I alluded to psychic or ghostly matters there was never a hint of interest or taking it seriously (although, oddly, I've vague memories of his own mother allegedly being very superstitious and prone to prophetic dreams)

Yesterday, as I was driving along my usual country lane journey into work I thought 'There's going to be an accident on this corner'. It's a bit of a blackspot (another FT subject I'm sure). I usually have to drive past about 6 a year.
Anyway, there was no accident on the way in but on my home around 6 in the evening, I met blue lights, police cars and fire engine and had to negotiate my way around a car in the ditch about 100 yards from that corner.

Its since dawned on me that there was further "psychic" element to my original story. I noticed it at the time but didn't classify it as such.

Its the seemingly rare (few people seem to know what I'm talking about) but to me relatively common experience I've reported on here a number of times and labelled Premature Recognition.

In its typical form you spot a familiar face in a crowded pub...an acquaintance or someone not seen in years...but...there's something not quite...that is them isn't it?..isn't it? After a few seconds your brain seems to come into focus and youappreciate its not who you're thinking of at all, but someone who strongly reminds you of them. You then turn a corner or enter another premises and lo and behold there's the actual person you mistook the first person for.

I've not experienced it for a while, perhaps because I'm not in crowded pubs so much! But on my sojourn through town on Sunday morning, prior to bumping into the real deal, I at least twice did a double take wondering if strangers across the way from me were him. Most notably as I was leaving WH Smith, mere moments before the actual encounter, I recall stopping in the doorway and spinning round to stare at a man reading a paper inside the shop, trying to work out...that's not him is it? (odd because he wasn't even the same ethnicity!) It took a few seconds and a degree of self consciousness about being seen to turn around at the sight of a strangter to appreciate it wasn't and walk away.

As I left my internal monologue commented on the fact I'd now falsely spotted him a couple of times but, oddly in the subsequent circumstances, I never categorised it as P.R. or further evidence of the inevitability of meeting the real one. Instead I saw it as evidence of being so fixated on the idea of bumping into him that I was "starting to see him everywhere". But now, I'm not so sure....

Years ago when texting was newish, AOL provided a certain number of free internet text messages from each account.

I didn't even possess a mobile phone. My friend Kath did though so I decided to send her a message. The silliest thing I could think of to say was 'Put that sausage down, you don't know where it's been!'

Didn't hear from her for a while and I forgot about the text.

A few weeks later we met up and she asked me, 'Come on! Where were you watching me from?'

She'd received the text as she walked through town, just as she was about to eat a sausage map, and had stopped dead and stood craning her neck, looking around to see where I was! :lol:

Such tales do beg the question (wrong use of that phrase but lets go with it) of whether all our daily thoughts and fancies, forgotten as soon as they've passed our mind's attention, are littered with things relevant to other people we know, including their own momentary thoughts, but we never know because neither side has any reason to say it out loud or draw attention to it. And if one party does, the other has long forgotten their own half of the pairing.

escargot1 said:
She'd received the text as she walked through town, just as she was about to eat a sausage map...

What's a 'sausage map'?

It's what Apple thinks a sausage bap should be.

Interesting anecdotes, Gattino.

I do believe that people can be "summoned" or at least sensed, or some of them can. There are two people in my life with whom this happns all the time. One of them is an experienced meditator and yoga practicioner. If you need him you just have to put out a mental "call' and he'll show up within a day. He says that he just feels pulled toward someone, so he goes there. He's pretty darn accurate! The other one is my brother, who's been mentioned on this board quite often. He's almost haplessly psychic. :lol: In his case, I have wondered who was summoning who, or if it was intentional since we often annoy each other. At any rate, we always know when the other's around.

Then again, there are plenty of people whom I would have liked to summon with zero result (thinking of the objects of girlhood crushes whom I desperately wished to "accidentally" meet in town. :p )

The premature recognition you mention happens often enough that when I mistakenly think I see someone I don't want to meet, I go ahead and make myself scarce right then. Long experience has taught that the unwanted person will be there soon enough.

Often wondered if it had to do with energy fields of a sort. Personal energy fields or auras or what have you, alerting you to a particular presence. Or being attuned to a certain person's "frequency" - if there is such a thing.

Gattino, there is a book called "The Self-Aware Universe" by Amit Goswami that might be of interest to you.

I was thinking about my middle sister yesterday and today. One of her sons has melanomas on the brain and her husband had said that they didn't want people emailing and ringing all the time.
She hardly ever rings but did today to say that the youngest and his wife are having a baby and that the other will be having a a new experimental treatment after he has radiation.
I has been really wishing to oontact her and thought it was a coincidence that I had been thinking of her for the last 2 days.

I get scared by it because twice in my life I've made eye contact with someone I know and the message has shot through my brain that I'm looking at a dead person walking. And in both cases the person died unexpectedly, albeit from unexpected health complications, not accident, before a week had passed.

It's something I'd rather be without. Of course it is is possible that my senses have picked up something - smell or expression or whatever that accounts for it, but its too complicated for me to deal with.

Well if they each died of an undiagnosed illness it may well be that you picked up on cues in their appearance.. you often notice elderly people, or celebrity whose deaths are reported, had a "failed" look in their eyes before the end.

On the other hand..as mentioned here before.. the comedian Michael Bentine claimed to see death imposed upon the face of the doomed during the war and, later even is own son.

As for the general "summoning" someone to make contact... its probably the number one "trick" sought and promoted on "how to" psychic websites and youtube videos. There are hundreds of them, alll promising how startled you'll be if you try it yourself, as if its a guaranteed easy to demonstrate thing. (it generally consists of relaxed state,closed eyes visualisation of the other person going through the motions of making hte call, in great detail...or else an imaginary link between you both along which a call to attention is sent) The appeal, and the market,is pretty obvious. The lovelorn or those with the hots for someone will always long to make that phone ring. But there is one, logical, proviso in these descriptions...
That it only works if the other person is also in a receptive mental state. Ie relaxed or daydreaming, not busy doing something (or presumably fast asleep). Something you can't know is the case from far away. In short if it does work, it's also pot luck if you're timing is right.

Back