• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Did I See A Ghost Nurse?

This is really horrible stuff, Swifty. I'm feeling for you.

I've had a few incidents in my many hospital stays/appointments, which I should've reported, but didn't have the energy to. Being seriously ill on top of life's other trials really makes you pick your battles.

My poorly dad received absolutely dispicable treatment by one member of staff in one "rehabilitation unit" earlier this year. My response was to demand a bed elsewhere from head nurse (sorry, not good with medical titles) or else I would have to move into my dad's room with him, as there was no way I was leaving him there alone with that orderly working there.

When an ambulance couldn't be found to take my dad to the other ward in the other hospital in the next county, I called on my brother's help and we both got him the hell out there and drove him ourselves to the other hospital.

My brother made a huge noise about the complaint he was going to put in, but dad was dying and I just knew we wouldn't have the energy to do it, and we never did. I hope the "private word" I had with the head nurse (who seemed aware of this member of staff being a problem, and wanted me to put in a complaint) was good enough and that they found another way to get rid of that man.

I cried all day that day.
Christ .. that's hardcore what your dad went through and how you and your brother fought for him, way worse than me getting one nutter doctor once mate ..

Christ .. that's hardcore what your dad went through and how you and your brother fought for him, way worse than me getting one nutter doctor once mate ..
Thanks Swifty. But being a lone patient at the mercy of strangers, their medical competence you can't know but must trust,is a horribly vulnerable experience, I know. I've personally met incompetence, but your sadist Doctor experience gave me the chills.

Thanks Swifty. But being a lone patient at the mercy of strangers, their medical competence you can't know but must trust,is a horribly vulnerable experience, I know. I've personally met incompetence, but your sadist Doctor experience gave me the chills.
Everyone else who looked after me both physically and mentally were fantastic, they were all incredibly kind and I'm so grateful to them (the Mrs was even bringing posh cakes in for them) .. I was able to go independent walk about a couple of days into my stay (even though my nurses were nervous about it) .. I saw the sadist again and just froze and stared at him .. he just dropped his eyes to the ground. Punching him in the face crossed my mind but as you and others have said, I had different priorities at that time.

Everyone else who looked after me both physically and mentally were fantastic, they were all incredibly kind and I'm so grateful to them (the Mrs was even bringing posh cakes in for them) .. I was able to go independent walk about a couple of days into my stay (even though my nurses were nervous about it) .. I saw the sadist again and just froze and stared at him .. he just dropped his eyes to the ground. Punching him in the face crossed my mind but as you and others have said, I had different priorities at that time.

Hopefully he's had his face punched since by someone else. Glad the rest of your experience was good. That's generally been how I've found hospital experiences, a stack of brilliant people doing remarkable things, with the rare.... not so brilliant person.

Some nurses that I have known, react with compassion to a human in distress and pain.
Some seem to feed off it - wide eyed and emotionless.
There’s some psychological maxim that many people end up doing the jobs that they’re least suited to.

Psychopathic carers
Child hating teachers
‘Public serving’ politicians
Children’s ‘entertainers’

Could go on . . and on. :(

I am an agency nurse and have myself worked in this hospital.... it was always chronically understaffed (like most hospitals) but I always felt awkward and frequently uncomfortable working here. A few people told me it had the longest corridor of any hospital in the UK and I can well believe that. It’s main thoroughfare seemed to go on forever... I never encountered anything strange other than the fact that I always had an impending sense of dread every time I had to go there!

Back on the topic of ghost nurses, some years ago I read through the following forum for nurses where they describe their ghostly encounters and paranormal experiences whilst at work. Presently there's 217 pages worth of stories and well worth reading. Some are quite spine tingling:
What's Your Best Nursing Ghost Story?
Alas, I have only one genuine Fortean encounter whilst at work in a (soon to be defunct *) hospital.. without checking I’m 90% sure I’ve posted it already.. *= it’s the Royal National Hospital For Rheumatic Diseases in Bath... sadly 2019 will be it’s last operational year. It’s been a hospital since the mid 1700’s and as one might imagine; has its fair share of ghostly tales attached to it...

Back