• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Did The Spirits Tell Me Who Jack The Ripper Was?

Am I right in saying a good medium or mentalist can put thoughts in your mind and guide them to a particular answer? No idea how that would create twins, though!

Am I right in saying a good medium or mentalist can put thoughts in your mind and guide them to a particular answer? No idea how that would create twins, though!

We can guide you to an answer we want you to give, yes. But mostly this stuff works through selective recall.

A sitter will remember and validate things that "hit" but forget the stuff that "misses". So whereas the psychic may have correctly said that twins were on the way (either through hot information or bloody good guess work), the sitter will have forgotten and disregarded the statement about meeting a man in uniform or visiting Africa etc etc. Only when they meet a man in uniform in Africa does the mind recall the statement. Otherwise it's just lost to time.

It was easier back in the day. You could always just get away with saying that they would meet someone at a dance. That's where everybody used to meet. And it will be a tall dark stranger - easy when men are predominantly taller, the most common hair colour in the world is dark brown and anybody you have yet to meet is a stranger.

I can imagine you going wide eyed and thinking WTF when you saw the ripper article. The magazine is itself a bit of a niche publication, not likely to be on the pile of mags at the dentist either so it’s interesting you found it.

Kloskowski as a suspect does come up on google if you search “ripper suspects” No idea if it did in 2014.
Well, and I know how unbelievable this sounds:
The reason I was reading that magazine is because before my dad died in sept 2014 (which the medium had warned my mum about), he was extremely interested in true crime. I used to go to the markets with him and he would buy these true crime magazines second hand off the stalls. When he was in hospital toward the end, I used to buy these magazines and take them to him to read. The reason I went to this medium with my mum soon after he died was in the hope that I could talk to him again. Even though I knew it wouldn't be real. I was grieving and didn't care. The family member I was talking to on the table that day was my father and it was my father who named George Kloskowski.
Even though I'm not into true crime generally, as I find all the murder involved a bit scary, (I prefer horror and ghost stuff, which doesn't scare me so much) I have, every so often since my dad passed away, ordered a few back copies of these magazines and read them. It makes me feel closer to him, I think. Anyway, last week I ordered a few copies, they arrived and that magazine was in the pile.
I know, I know. It does all sound slightly incredulous. Which is why I didn't mention it sooner, along with another odd happening or two.

This is really interesting, @fizzy55 ! It seems there's either some impressive coincidences at work, aligned with selective memories (thanks, @Ringo ) or the universe has contrived something quite magical. I've no idea which, and you don't need to share anything you don't want to, but this is a damn good story, if nothing else.

Well, and I know how unbelievable this sounds:
The reason I was reading that magazine is because before my dad died in sept 2014 (which the medium had warned my mum about), he was extremely interested in true crime. I used to go to the markets with him and he would buy these true crime magazines second hand off the stalls. When he was in hospital toward the end, I used to buy these magazines and take them to him to read. The reason I went to this medium with my mum soon after he died was in the hope that I could talk to him again. Even though I knew it wouldn't be real. I was grieving and didn't care. The family member I was talking to on the table that day was my father and it was my father who named George Kloskowski.
Even though I'm not into true crime generally, as I find all the murder involved a bit scary, (I prefer horror and ghost stuff, which doesn't scare me so much) I have, every so often since my dad passed away, ordered a few back copies of these magazines and read them. It makes me feel closer to him, I think. Anyway, last week I ordered a few copies, they arrived and that magazine was in the pile.
I know, I know. It does all sound slightly incredulous. Which is why I didn't mention it sooner, along with another odd happening or two.
And this is the fascinating part. Inside the medium’s performance a little something unexpected extra. Could it all be coincidence? sure. But these wild coincidences happen a lot.
Could they have had an accomplice on an earpiece quickly google the ripper, pick a guy half way down the list (assuming he was on the list in 2014) and relay it back? Who knows. That would be a pretty upscale setup so I’m doubting it being done for half a dozen sitters. Others may know the likelihood.
While I know that many of these mediums are deliberate performers I’ve experienced and even done stuff that myself defies all rational explanation so I never discard the bath water without checking for a baby.

And this is the fascinating part. Inside the medium’s performance a little something unexpected extra. Could it all be coincidence? sure. But these wild coincidences happen a lot.
Could they have had an accomplice on an earpiece quickly google the ripper, pick a guy half way down the list (assuming he was on the list in 2014) and relay it back? Who knows. That would be a pretty upscale setup so I’m doubting it being done for half a dozen sitters. Others may know the likelihood.
While I know that many of these mediums are deliberate performers I’ve experienced and even done stuff that myself defies all rational explanation so I never discard the bath water without checking for a baby.
Yes, we were upstairs in her house, the rest of the family was downstairs, it's a possibility.

I often find myself in the strange situation of wanting to believe but also knowing that I have not yet witnessed or read anything that can't be acheived through known methods. The real secrets behind them are closely and jealously guarded and alot more far fetched, encompasing and elaborate than the average person would dare to imagine.
EDIT TO CLARIFY: I have not yet witnessed or read anything "mediumistic" that can't be acheived through known methods.

Bear in mind that ANY mystery performer worth their salt shows a keen and well read interest in the mysterious, the strange and the metaphysical. They will know about famous cases, mysteries, phenomena and assorted strangeness. Take me as an example, at a seance show I did last year I ended up deep in conversation about Tom DeLonge's involvement with the To The Stars Academy, Doppelgangers and Muscle/Contact Mindreading. I didn't bring any of these subjects up - it was my guests. You need to know a little about a lot in this game. Any "medium" will have heard and fielded these sorts of questions before.

Last edited:
I never saw the family downstairs, I heard them I think. I was aware they were there but I can't remember her talking about them being there. I just knew they were there. At least someone was. Or something! :omg: It was her family, I'm sure, lol.

Yup, Techy and I were discussing this exact point today. I was saying that the Derren Brown Investigates series didn't do much for me because I already know it's a load of hokum to part fools from their money, except that time that it really happened...

We can guide you to an answer we want you to give, yes. But mostly this stuff works through selective recall.

A sitter will remember and validate things that "hit" but forget the stuff that "misses". So whereas the psychic may have correctly said that twins were on the way (either through hot information or bloody good guess work), the sitter will have forgotten and disregarded the statement about meeting a man in uniform or visiting Africa etc etc. Only when they meet a man in uniform in Africa does the mind recall the statement. Otherwise it's just lost to time.

It was easier back in the day. You could always just get away with saying that they would meet someone at a dance. That's where everybody used to meet. And it will be a tall dark stranger - easy when men are predominantly taller, the most common hair colour in the world is dark brown and anybody you have yet to meet is a stranger.
Yes I know she has said a few things to my mum that were off the mark in the past. My mum has been quite a few times with different people and they all come away impressed as far as I know. She is extremely good, but not always right.

Yup, Techy and I were discussing this exact point today. I was saying that the Derren Brown Investigates series didn't do much for me because I already know it's a load of hokum to part fools from their money, except that time that it really happened...
Yes, it's knowing logically that there has to be an explanation, but feeling pulled in to something you don't understand, experiencing these unexplainable things and you feel you have to ask yourself, what if...

Yes, it's knowing logically that there has to be an explanation, but feeling pulled in to something you don't understand, experiencing these unexplainable things and you feel you have to ask yourself, what if...

^This. This is what makes my shows work and makes them enjoyable. I give people a glimpse of the enigma. They "know" it's a show, they bought tickets after all. But it still becomes "real" when it gets going.

Yes I know she has said a few things to my mum that were off the mark in the past.

Sometimes you have to wait! Someone complained to me that a psychic told her the following:

'I see you sitting at home on your sofa surrounded by birds and animals in small cages. The cages are all over your house and even on the stairs.'

There was more, about how she was talking worriedly on the phone and so on.
She was quite disappointed and disgusted.
I knew the psychic well and asked her about it, and she said 'I saw what I saw!'

Within the year a friend of the client died, leaving his wife to deal with his collection of exotic birds and small animals. (He may have been a dealer, can't remember.) As she couldn't cope the client and her husband took them all and frantically rang round pet shops, dealers and anyone else they could think of to get them cared for.

Last edited:
Sometimes you have to wait! Someone complained to me that a psychic told her the following:

'I see you sitting at home on your sofa surrounded by birds and animals in small cages. The cages are all over your house and even on the stairs.'

There was more, about how she was talking worriedly on the phone and so on.
She was quite disappointed and disgusted.
I knew the psychic well and asked her about it, and she said 'I saw what I saw!'

Within the year a fried of the client died, leaving his wife to deal with his collection of exotic birds and small animals. (He may have been a dealer, can't remember.) As she couldn't cope the client and her husband took them all and frantically rang round pet shops, dealers and anyone else they could think of to get them cared for.

And here is the crux of it, for me. The psychic/premonition bit I can kind of accept as it is a totally different thing to mediumship/spirit communication. I have read the original books, notes and texts of some of the founders of the spiritualist movement. I have read the handbooks and manuals for "mediums" telling and showing how it is done. I do it myslef so I KNOW that bit is BS. But as for the other stuff, the premonitions and visions of the future, that stuff is still fascinating to me.

Could also be the case that that name - if it was already out on the ether - she'd seen and subconsciously remembered - like people regressed for past lives can come up with details that prove to be from books they just flicked through, maybe didn't even truly 'read', years before...

One of my mums friends has had a love hate relationship with her ex partner for years, but the medium told her she is going to get back together with him and marry him. She's adament that it will not happen! But every time I see her I ask if I need to buy a hat yet:D @escargot

This is really interesting, @fizzy55 ! It seems there's either some impressive coincidences at work, aligned with selective memories (thanks, @Ringo ) or the universe has contrived something quite magical. I've no idea which, and you don't need to share anything you don't want to, but this is a damn good story, if nothing else.
Thank you, it's nice to think there is a possibility he had a hand in all of the strange coincidental stuff that has happened since he passed away. We had a period of estrangement during my teenage years and neither of us was the soppy sort, but I had regrets about the time we had missed and the things we left unsaid and I'm sure he did too. After he died I sat with him for a while, saying all that I should have said before. I knew I'd said them too late and he couldn't hear me anymore. As I waited in traffic to get out of the hospital car park, I saw that the car in front of me had a registration number that ended in DAD. It was another thing that of course is just coincidence, but sometimes it does feel like the universe knows what it is doing.

Bear in mind that ANY mystery performer worth their salt shows a keen and well read interest in the mysterious, the strange and the metaphysical. They will know about famous cases, mysteries, phenomena and assorted strangeness. Take me as an example, at a seance show I did last year I ended up deep in conversation about Tom DeLonge's involvement with the To The Stars Academy, Doppelgangers and Muscle/Contact Mindreading. I didn't bring any of these subjects up - it was my guests. You need to know a little about a lot in this game. Any "medium" will have heard and fielded these sorts of questions before.

Your right, you do this stuff and if you think it’s possible it probably is. I knew a family who did this stuff and human ingenuity knows no bounds and people want to believe, if it is comforting then maybe it serves a purpose as long as people are not greedy.

Here though is the but. I found myself being the “medium” on an occasion during a silly party game, in the real sense. Names and places including a very specific misspelling of a name and targeted messages. No tall dark strangers, no ambiguity. At. All.
It scared the shit out of me and shut down the party LOL.

Now if it can come via me, can it sometimes piggy back on charlatans? I know it’s a bit Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost but I wouldn’t rule it out. It’s the perfect irony isn’t it.

* I was later shown a letter, from the deceased person who claimed to be communicating including the really odd misspelling and stating the same message I relayed.

One of my mums friends has had a love hate relationship with her ex partner for years, but the medium told her she is going to get back together with him and marry him. She's adament that it will not happen! But every time I see her I ask if I need to buy a hat yet:D @escargot

Hahaha, buy the hat! We will have the last laugh.

After he died I sat with him for a while, saying all that I should have said before. I knew I'd said them too late and he couldn't hear me anymore. As I waited in traffic to get out of the hospital car park, I saw that the car in front of me had a registration number that ended in DAD. It was another thing that of course is just coincidence, but sometimes it does feel like the universe knows what it is doing.

Aww, you are so right. My own father died 10 years ago. Thank you for sharing.
(My father believed firmly in life after death and we all dreamed about him soon after he died. He was doing exactly what w'ed have expected him to do; not flying or anything, just there, swanking around and giving his opinions.)

when your ex.jpg

And here is the crux of it, for me. The psychic/premonition bit I can kind of accept as it is a totally different thing to mediumship/spirit communication. I have read the original books, notes and texts of some of the founders of the spiritualist movement. I have read the handbooks and manuals for "mediums" telling and showing how it is done. I do it myslef so I KNOW that bit is BS. But as for the other stuff, the premonitions and visions of the future, that stuff is still fascinating to me.

I think many of us get 'flashes' of future events or situations or feelings without knowing how, some people are more prone to it and may get called 'psychic' but this is entirely separate to the workaday money-making exercise of mediumship/fortune-telling/clairvoyancy.

I would suggest some people take to the latter as a job and if the former phenomenon occasionally lobs in an accurate prediction, so much the better. I love your story @fizzy55!

I went to see a fortune teller who used conventional playing cards and allowed audio taping, it was a bunch of cold-reading bunkum.

However I've experienced 'psychic' flashes for many years, I'm not in control of it and it's actually something that I'm ambivalent about when I see, feel or know things I'd rather not see, feel or know. Sometimes it's quite useful, a kind of super-intuition about specific situations which I now trust and have never yet been wrong sbout. As mentioned below, though, the thought of charging money for it makes me feel ill.

I've weirded out several people by somehow knowing things about them that I shouldn't have known, and by telling them things I couldn't have known about. I cannot say if this is 'psychic' ability or not. It's not something that is planned, it just pops into my head.

I think that maybe I can 'read' people fairly well, I can unconciously pick up small clues and gauge their feelings and intentions? It could be described as a kind of emotional intelligence, perhaps.

I have put my people-reading skills to the test a few times as a minor party trick, reading very small facial expressions and pre-verbal clues (ie the words that are about to be spoken). Cold reading is rather fun to pick apart, too.

I have had several premonitive dreams that were highly distressing, but again this is not proof of any kind of super-normal ability.

My opinion of the OP's question is that anyone who publically claims to be 'A Psychic' probably is a fake. The thought of charging money for what insights pop into my head is anathema to me; in fact it makes me feel quite ill. Generally it's nice to know how someone is feeling but there are occasions where it's distressing or draining and I'd rather not know.

You know, somehow I've only just myself noticed the difference. Subconciously I have put the K in even though I was sure the names were exactly the same. The table very likely spelt it with a K as I typed as I remembered it so it's true there is a slight difference in the spellings.

Researching my family tree I can’t believe how many different ways my surname is spelt and it’s only five letters long (usually). As for a ‘foreign’ name that’s probably going to be spelt wrong quite often.

Surely if someone was looking it up you wouldn’t have the cut-and-shut name.

Researching my family tree I can’t believe how many different ways my surname is spelt and it’s only five letters long (usually). As for a ‘foreign’ name that’s probably going to be spelt wrong quite often.

From my memory of Bill Bryson’s excellent little book on William Shakespeare, we only have fourteen words written by Shakespeare himself. Twelve of those are six signatures on various documents, and he never spells his own surname the same way twice. (Nor does he ever use the spelling we prefer today).

maximus otter

From my memory of Bill Bryson’s excellent little book on William Shakespeare, we only have fourteen words written by Shakespeare himself. Twelve of those are six signatures on various documents, and he never spells his own surname the same way twice. (Nor does he ever use the spelling we prefer today).

maximus otter
It's entirely possible that Shakespeare was a little dyslexic, but there were no definitive dictionaries about to enforce conformance to a standard spelling - so everybody at the time wrote inconsistently.

People today have no excuse at all!

Tell that to all the people on my local 'selling' pages....

I, too, have occasional 'flashes' of knowing, but they are so brief and unspecific that they are useless and worthless. Apart from being able to ask after someone's cat, or mention a name that makes someone else go pale... I put them down to a low level telepathy in my case. It's never knowing the future or knowing anything that the other person doesn't - just the whole 'how the hell did you know that!?' sort of thing.

Also people mention things that they later forget they told you and would swear on any holy book (and probably pass a lie detector test, for what good those things are) that they never told you. Someone told me they were going on holiday. A few weeks later I asked them how the holiday went, and they paled and said that they'd told nobody about the holiday for fear that a relative would try to join them on it...

...but the definitely told me. I guess I just have a trustworthy face!

Back