• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Did We Smoke Out A Time-Traveller?

Do you know I had never thought about this but not to my recollection!!!!! Had never occurred to me!
Fascinating incident. I suppose I would have been tempted to follow or approach him - maybe he was so detestable in life you wanted nothing to do with him in death, which would be understandable. All sorts of fascinating possibilities - I take it that there is no question that he did die in 1983?

Late one evening, late last year, my girlfriend and I were in my local pub. We got into one of those fleeting, spontaneous conversations with a man standing at the bar. He was very affable and chatty, merry but not drunk, and, as we noted to each other with a sideways grin and a nudge, looked as though he had come straight from a 1970s-themed fancy dress party.

He was quite young, possibly mid-30s, wore a burgundy turtleneck sweater, and had his hair swept back in a sort of wavy blonde mop that you really never see any more. I'm not going to say the words 'All Spice' but he was wearing an after shave or eau de toilette which even smelled a little retro, if that's possible. If he had been at a fancy dress party, he deserves full credit for getting into character.

(Perhaps a side-note, but worth mentioning I think: I go in to this pub often; too often for my own good. But the point is, I had never seen this man in there before, nor have I seen him there since, and this was a good eight or nine months ago. Of course, there are lots of possible explanations for this; he could have been from out-of-town, or overseas, but he definitely spoke with an English accent.)

When for a brief moment the man stepped out of earshot, one of us, I forget who, leaned into the other and sniggered something along the lines of "is this guy a time-traveller or something??"...

Which would have been the end of a rather cruel and snobby joke about fashion sense. But then all of a sudden in the middle of this very busy bar, without hesitation, he lit up a cigarette. It was only when one of us blurted out "You can't smoke in here!!" that he dashed outside to the street.

Now a lot of smokers had a few slips, through force of habit, in the first few days and weeks of the 2007 ban. But I believe even the most hard-handed smokers have learnt by now, after well over a decade, that you have to go outside for a cig.

Surely the first rule when visiting another dimension, is to brush up on the (up-to-date) local laws?
Sounds to me like Pretend to be a Time Traveller Day: https://nationaldaycalendar.com/pretend-to-be-a-time-traveler-day-december-8/

You say it was late in the year, which potentially fits.

I often wonder how many times, in our re-enactment days and even now doing living history (moreso because our clothing is way more accurate!) - someone somewhere hasn't seen us out of context, and been convinced they saw a ghost... I can remember one Powderham where this member of the public was frantically taking photos of us from a distance, when we were not at the site, but wandering around somewhere a few miles away... I thought at the time "He probably thinks we're ghosts!"
A former girlfriend and myself were out for a drink in a pub in Berwick-upon-Tweed many years ago and she introduced me to a group of her friends who were also in there that evening. One of these friends was very excited because she had seen a ghost the previous night!

Apparently she'd got up to go to the toilet in the middle of the night and on her way back to bed had happened to look out of the window had had seen the 'ghost' of a Civil war era cavalier walking up the opposite side of the road (Castlegate in Berwick) in had been a slightly misty early morning which had probably contributed to the overall effect.

I debated with myself about telling her that the ECWS was in town that week doing demonstrations and such for the tourists but decided in the end that it would be a shame to burst her bubble - she was so thrilled to have actually seen a 'genuine' ghost! :rollingw:

A former girlfriend and myself were out for a drink in a pub in Berwick-upon-Tweed many years ago and she introduced me to a group of her friends who were also in there that evening. One of these friends was very excited because she had seen a ghost the previous night!

Apparently she'd got up to go to the toilet in the middle of the night and on her way back to bed had happened to look out of the window had had seen the 'ghost' of a Civil war era cavalier walking up the opposite side of the road (Castlegate in Berwick) in had been a slightly misty early morning which had probably contributed to the overall effect.

I debated with myself about telling her that the ECWS was in town that week doing demonstrations and such for the tourists but decided in the end that it would be a shame to burst her bubble - she was so thrilled to have actually seen a 'genuine' ghost! :rollingw:
:)

I once took a leisurely stroll along some of the footpaths on Dartington estate that lead to Staverton station on the preserved steam railway in South Devon. As I approached the level crossing I suddenly realised I was looking at two Nazi stormtroopers with rifles slung over their shoulders :oops: I froze for a moment, perplexed with what I was witnessing.... until I noticed they were both eating sandwiches from Tupperware lunchboxes :)

I had stumbled onto a film set:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0359078/ Churchill: The Hollywood Years

Bloody awful movie.

:)

I once took a leisurely stroll along some of the footpaths on Dartington estate that lead to Staverton station on the preserved steam railway in South Devon. As I approached the level crossing I suddenly realised I was looking at two Nazi stormtroopers with rifles slung over their shoulders :oops: I froze for a moment, perplexed with what I was witnessing.... until I noticed they were both eating sandwiches from Tupperware lunchboxes :)

I had stumbled onto a film set:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0359078/ Churchill: The Hollywood Years

Bloody awful movie.
Nothing surprises me that close to Totnes.

We were once on the Totnes road, headed over to our friends' house in early December, and passed Jesus and an elf on bicycles coming the opposite way.

Oh I came on this thread meaning to post a recent experience. Totally nothing paranormal, not doubt, because there are some weird people about but...

A month or so back, we were driving around nearby village, after dog walk and killing some time, just driving round in a large circle. Nobody about. Roads almost empty. Middle of nowhere. Etc. About to turn back on to the road for home, when this old looking BMW (I think) came tearing round the corner, at a junction. I dunno why, maybe because bored, and also the speed they were travelling, sort of Starsky and Hutch style driving (no empty boxes in alleyways), the driver caught my eye. It was a young(ish) woman. With sort of 80s' Big Hair and a bit like a footballer's wife but... 80s looking.

Sure she was just a rich local with an old car and bad hair - but still.

Strange to read this as a couple of days ago I saw a woman with 80s style big hair. It occurred to me as strange as I literally don't think I've seen anyone with hair like that since, well, the 80s. Or maybe early 90s. She was maneuvering a car and I was walking past. She seemed young: probably 30ish, so probably not even born in the 80s, let alone old enough to be keeping the same hairstyle from then. It was daytime midweek so not likely on her way to a fancy dress thing.

I kid you not!
I once had to go to a meeting at the Seaman's Hospital in Greenwich. Was told I would be given a parking space and to ask at the gate. I was told. "Straight ahead, second turning on the left, park at the side of the road. Careful of any werewolves." They were filming something. I never saw any but it was good advice.

Strange to read this as a couple of days ago I saw a woman with 80s style big hair. It occurred to me as strange as I literally don't think I've seen anyone with hair like that since, well, the 80s. Or maybe early 90s. She was maneuvering a car and I was walking past. She seemed young: probably 30ish, so probably not even born in the 80s, let alone old enough to be keeping the same hairstyle from then. It was daytime midweek so not likely on her way to a fancy dress thing.
What sort of car, was it an 80s Mini Metro or similar...?

Oh maybe that ghost was my husband as we were in ECWS and did Berwick! It was on the way back from that one, we had the weird experience camping in a farmer's field, and heard what sounded like a lot of horses galloping round our tents in the night - no horses in the field. Nothing to account for it. We were with a friend who was in his own tent, and he was also awoken by it. So if it's the same Berwick event, ghosts were involved on the way home - three of us stayed a night after the event, camping elsewhere - I have no idea why - before we travelled back to the Midlands.

Yes the one we saw was late afternoon, midweek - so also I wasn't getting the "going to party" vibe. She was turning off the B1222 - which has had loads of accidents on it, over the years - which is why I did wonder. But the whole thing was so solid and real, that I felt it couldn't be supernatural.

Years ago, a mate of mine told me about a "ghost car" - I forget the make and model but he was someone who actually had a vintage car himself so knew a bit about cars unlike me - that was seen by quite a few people, going an improbable speed on what used to be The Great North Road, just a couple of miles along from where we saw Big Hair Woman. Improbable speed because it's a village with 30 and 20 MPH limits and infamous for police traps as it's also frequented by bikers, so seeing a car going at speed there is really unusual. This was like a much older car, not 1980s. I haven't seen him in years but would love to hear that story again cos I forget the details. It was very eerie when he told it.

ETA: The car I saw looked like a BMW - the large sedan sort of thing. I know nowt about cars but it did remind me of something someone I knew had that they called a "5 series" which was an elderly car they had in the 1990s, always needing repairs it was so old. The woman caused me to do a double take as she was quite young but looked so old fashioned. As we were stopped/almost stopped at the junction, I did get a good look at her although she was going so fast.

Was he smoking Players No.6 and did he try to order a pint of Watneys Red Barrel and a pack of Golden Wonder crisps?

Otherwise, I smell hipster (or just possibly an ex-pat who'd been out of the country for years and wasn't aware of the indoor smoking ban).
I still enjoy a packet or 5 of golden wonder AND I was born in the 70s but alas I am a child of grunge and still dress like a pearl jam roadie

Back