• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Did We Smoke Out A Time-Traveller?

I remember him as a Royallist when I saw him he was usually propping up the bar in the Cross with a flagon of ale and a log stemmed clay pipe, horse was usually ticking over in the pub yard, he was really a bus driver for Selnec.
That surprises me. I was in an ECWS regiment local-ish to Heptonstall, and although I never actually met him, I was always led to believe he was on "our side", ie Parliament. I seem to recall he had another alter-ego, as a rabidly puritan preacher, but I suppose he could have swung both ways, so to speak.

I vaguely recall from my ECWS days that one of the innovations of the New Model Army was to standardise clogs as a badge of fandom russet-coloured coats...
I think that might very well be the case, but the NMA was a fairly late development.
These coats were the fore-runners of the redcoats favoured by the British Army for a surprisingly long-time before someone realised they might make the soldiers somewhat conspicuous - presumably this became a problem around the same time that rifling musket barrels became widespread.
Actually, rifled barrels were standard for some regiments by the Napoleonic Wars, and in widespread use throughout most armies by the mid-Nineteenth Century. The British Army decided formally to switch to khaki in 1902, following the Second Boer War, although tropical whites were often stained with tea for decades before that.
In 1914, the French infantry went "over the top" in dark blue coats and pantalon rouge.

Oooh, 1970's knitwear models! <rubs thighs>

The OP's story reminds me of an incident my wife and I had several years ago. We live in a cul-de-sac in NW England and were driving back to our house one weekend afternoon. As we drove down our avenue we both saw a girl, late twenties/early thirties in age, striding purposefully towards the top of the road dressed in full 1940's gear; authentic hairstyle, dress and shoes for the period. My wife commented how out-of-place yet how fantastic she looked. This was before the advent of hipsters and we both put it down to fancy dress. What was strange was that she was on her own, we didn't recognise her (it's the kind of clichéd quiet cul-de-sac where everybody knows everybody) and she was walking from the closed end of the cul-de-sac so there was no through road that she could have travelled from; it was almost as if she materialised out of thin air....

As I say, it was most probably someone we didn't recognise going to a fancy dress party, but it was curious nonetheless.

That surprises me. I was in an ECWS regiment local-ish to Heptonstall, and although I never actually met him, I was always led to believe he was on "our side", ie Parliament. I seem to recall he had another alter-ego, as a rabidly puritan preacher, but I suppose he could have swung both ways, so to speak.
I was in the ECWS, also Parliament, (in at the start of the Baggage Trayne) also originally Yorkshire although I then moved to the Midlands. Husband was CO of a regt. And I'm pretty sure my husband knew him, although I only heard tell of him. Will ask him tonight. I saw the pic here but didn't connect it with this bloke but I remember my husband told me about him.

My hair is still the same as the 70's except grey. Barbers? Who needs 'em.

I remember going into a bar in the mid 70's when there was a bloke in full Napoleonic General outfit. Maybe he'd travelled back from a Bombardier advert. He was certainly convincingly arrogant.

Did he think he was Napoleon? It would be interesting if you actually met someone who fit that cliche.

Late one evening, late last year, my girlfriend and I were in my local pub. We got into one of those fleeting, spontaneous conversations with a man standing at the bar. He was very affable and chatty, merry but not drunk, and, as we noted to each other with a sideways grin and a nudge, looked as though he had come straight from a 1970s-themed fancy dress party.

He was quite young, possibly mid-30s, wore a burgundy turtleneck sweater, and had his hair swept back in a sort of wavy blonde mop that you really never see any more. I'm not going to say the words 'All Spice' but he was wearing an after shave or eau de toilette which even smelled a little retro, if that's possible. If he had been at a fancy dress party, he deserves full credit for getting into character.

(Perhaps a side-note, but worth mentioning I think: I go in to this pub often; too often for my own good. But the point is, I had never seen this man in there before, nor have I seen him there since, and this was a good eight or nine months ago. Of course, there are lots of possible explanations for this; he could have been from out-of-town, or overseas, but he definitely spoke with an English accent.)

When for a brief moment the man stepped out of earshot, one of us, I forget who, leaned into the other and sniggered something along the lines of "is this guy a time-traveller or something??"...

Which would have been the end of a rather cruel and snobby joke about fashion sense. But then all of a sudden in the middle of this very busy bar, without hesitation, he lit up a cigarette. It was only when one of us blurted out "You can't smoke in here!!" that he dashed outside to the street.

Now a lot of smokers had a few slips, through force of habit, in the first few days and weeks of the 2007 ban. But I believe even the most hard-handed smokers have learnt by now, after well over a decade, that you have to go outside for a cig.

Surely the first rule when visiting another dimension, is to brush up on the (up-to-date) local laws?

Nice story - can you provide any more information, e.g. did he seem confused by the price of drinks or owt like that? What sort of things did he talk about; any clues there perhaps?

Did he think he was Napoleon? It would be interesting if you actually met someone who fit that cliche.

A bit meta but I wonder who people who think they are Napoleon think they were, if you hypnotise to regress them to past lives? (Probably Marie Antoinette?)

ETA: Forgot to say, yes, husband did know the Roundhead who lived as a 17thC person. Misremembered his name, according to this:

http://www.cravenandvalleylifemagazine.co.uk/tragic-roundhead/

He was or had been a bus driver, apparently as said above. I remember him telling me about him at the time, and then that he'd died. Although I doubt he drove the bus in full gear, husband seems to remember someone telling him the bloke actually had the interior of his house full on 17thC style as well...

ETA: Poor bloke. I know he'd committed suicide but didn't know it was like that.

Last edited:
I vaguely recall from my ECWS days that one of the innovations of the New Model Army was to standardise clogs as a badge of fandom russet-coloured coats rather than the individual colour preference of whichever aristo was CO of a particular regiment. (I think individual regiments were distinguished by the colour linings of the folded-back cuffs and collars.) If a unit came at you through the fog of war wearing these, there was a fighting chance it was Parliamentarian, and you could make your tactical decisions accordingly. These coats were the fore-runners of the redcoats favoured by the British Army for a surprisingly long-time before someone realised they might make the soldiers somewhat conspicuous - presumably this became a problem around the same time that rifling musket barrels became widespread.

Yes. I think archaeologists say that when they test for dyestuffs, even right back to medieval times the commonest colour people wore, was red. So red dye (madder) seems to have been plentiful and cheap. Green is a much more expensive process, as there were no true greens so you have to overdye blue (woad) with yellow (weld) or vice versa. And the woad wasn't so cheap and straightforward a process as the red (madder). So red made sense from a mass production POV - it was simply cheaper. Although we have to be a bit cautious as 'russet' was also the name of a type of cloth as well as a colour...

They probably relied on field signs as well, to tell who was who, I guess? (Not just a muster fashion!)

I often wonder how many times, in our re-enactment days and even now doing living history (moreso because our clothing is way more accurate!) - someone somewhere hasn't seen us out of context, and been convinced they saw a ghost... I can remember one Powderham where this member of the public was frantically taking photos of us from a distance, when we were not at the site, but wandering around somewhere a few miles away... I thought at the time "He probably thinks we're ghosts!"

No, he was wearing a Napoleonic era British uniform. his face was suitably puce-coloured as well.

No, he was wearing a Napoleonic era British uniform. his face was suitably puce-coloured as well.
We've chatted with a few Napoleonic re-enactors. Their kit is probably the most expensive of any re-enactment gear there is! Was probably getting his moneysworth out of the expensive kit!

ETA: Spoke to husband again last night re. the Roundhead. He says he remembers him coming to an event, maybe hundreds of miles from where he lived, on that horse. Husband said horse was nearly shot as a result - it really couldn't cope with that kinda mileage. (I have no memory of this). Husband insists the gent was called "Padget" (Paget?) But he wasn't, according to the newspapers. Anyone know if he was called Padget by people, or why?

Last edited:
R-810822-1281027390.jpeg.jpg

Ive actually quite recently lit up a cigerette in a pub, totally slipped my mind that you cant smoke in pubs anymore

Did you have your hair swept back in a sort of wavy mop?

We've chatted with a few Napoleonic re-enactors. Their kit is probably the most expensive of any re-enactment gear there is! Was probably getting his moneysworth out of the expensive kit!

ETA: Spoke to husband again last night re. the Roundhead. He says he remembers him coming to an event, maybe hundreds of miles from where he lived, on that horse. Husband said horse was nearly shot as a result - it really couldn't cope with that kinda mileage. (I have no memory of this). Husband insists the gent was called "Padget" (Paget?) But he wasn't, according to the newspapers. Anyone know if he was called Padget by people, or why?
I somehow missed this when you originally posted it. I mentioned upthread that he had an alter-ego as a puritan preacher, and that was the surname he adopted: Preacher Padget. That's how he was referred to in Monty's when I was active, anyway.

Poor bloke, I had no idea he had met his end, let alone in that manner. He was clearly listening to a different drum, but it's a great shame that his obsession concealed what must have been massive problems.

And to bring it full circle, my brother drives that line, among others.

Nice story - can you provide any more information, e.g. did he seem confused by the price of drinks or owt like that? What sort of things did he talk about; any clues there perhaps?

As an ex-smoker, I'm especially interested if you got a glimpse of his cigarette packet? Non-smokers probably don't appreciate the evolution of fag packets over the decades in terms of health warning panel sizes and locations. A 70's cigarette packet would have just a health warning on one side (if that).

Of course, if he time-slipped from the 70's and bought a packet of 20 from a modern-day tobacconist I expect he needed to a drink to get over the shock of what he had just paid...

I somehow missed this when you originally posted it. I mentioned upthread that he had an alter-ego as a puritan preacher, and that was the surname he adopted: Preacher Padget. That's how he was referred to in Monty's when I was active, anyway.

Poor bloke, I had no idea he had met his end, let alone in that manner. He was clearly listening to a different drum, but it's a great shame that his obsession concealed what must have been massive problems.

And to bring it full circle, my brother drives that line, among others.
Ah yes, Padget it was, then. I remember something about a bus driver.

I will ask my Monty relatives what they remember about him. My husband will have known him - as he knew everyone. But I only have this vague memory of hearing this bloke had bought a small house and was living in it as if he was in the 17thC and that he was a bus driver. I'd forgot the thing about the horse. But even amongst the most obsessive of 80s' re-enactors, he was well known as maybe taking it a bit too far...

Oh I came on this thread meaning to post a recent experience. Totally nothing paranormal, not doubt, because there are some weird people about but...

A month or so back, we were driving around nearby village, after dog walk and killing some time, just driving round in a large circle. Nobody about. Roads almost empty. Middle of nowhere. Etc. About to turn back on to the road for home, when this old looking BMW (I think) came tearing round the corner, at a junction. I dunno why, maybe because bored, and also the speed they were travelling, sort of Starsky and Hutch style driving (no empty boxes in alleyways), the driver caught my eye. It was a young(ish) woman. With sort of 80s' Big Hair and a bit like a footballer's wife but... 80s looking.

Sure she was just a rich local with an old car and bad hair - but still.

You might want to check out this link. Former CEO of GE Jack Walsh was Napoleon in a previous life according to the spirit guide Ahtun Re who is being channeled by Trance Medium Kevin Ryerson.

https://www.reincarnationresearch.com/reincarnation-case-of-napoleon-bonaparte-jack-welch/

Here's Kevin in action:

He must have made some money judging by his webpage

https://www.kevinryerson.com/

This thread reminds me of a time that my mum and I saw my step dad in the street -not unusual except he had been dead for 10 years. We were waiting at the bus stop and suddenly my mum grabbed my arm and said ‘look there’s Mick!’ It is worth noting here that he had been an extremely unpleasant and abusive man in life so to see him apparently bold as brass in the main road looking in a shop window was a frightening prospect. He was very 1970s looking if that is not a daft and vague thing to say. He would wear cord flares (brown) small knitted tank tops (brown and striped) and shirts with large collars (you guessed, brown). They had met and married in 1976 and divorced in 1980, he had died in 1983. This sighting took place in 1986 and he stood out like a sore thumb but no one seemed to notice. He was standing side on to us looking in the window of an electrical shop, and then he turned and walked up the road. Didn’t look at us or acknowledge us at all. There were a lot of people about but we were only about 8 feet away from him and could see him clearly. For years afterwards mum and I would say to each other ‘what about that time we saw Mick!?!’

This thread reminds me of a time that my mum and I saw my step dad in the street -not unusual except he had been dead for 10 years. We were waiting at the bus stop and suddenly my mum grabbed my arm and said ‘look there’s Mick!’ It is worth noting here that he had been an extremely unpleasant and abusive man in life so to see him apparently bold as brass in the main road looking in a shop window was a frightening prospect. He was very 1970s looking if that is not a daft and vague thing to say. He would wear cord flares (brown) small knitted tank tops (brown and striped) and shirts with large collars (you guessed, brown). They had met and married in 1976 and divorced in 1980, he had died in 1983. This sighting took place in 1986 and he stood out like a sore thumb but no one seemed to notice. He was standing side on to us looking in the window of an electrical shop, and then he turned and walked up the road. Didn’t look at us or acknowledge us at all. There were a lot of people about but we were only about 8 feet away from him and could see him clearly. For years afterwards mum and I would say to each other ‘what about that time we saw Mick!?!’
An amendment is needed: he had been in our lives 10 years, dead three.

I have questions!

This is because I love ghosts/apparitions. :D

Was he facing you when he walked off or facing away?
From your account it seems there was no doubt it was Mick rather than a stranger who resembled him. Did you and your Mum wonder why you'd both seen him?

Did it seem as if he was showing himself to you with some intention?
Some people swear they've seen a deceased partner or relation and feel there was a message behind it, like 'Don't forget me!' or 'I forgive you!'

This thread reminds me of a time that my mum and I saw my step dad in the street -not unusual except he had been dead for 10 years. We were waiting at the bus stop and suddenly my mum grabbed my arm and said ‘look there’s Mick!’ It is worth noting here that he had been an extremely unpleasant and abusive man in life so to see him apparently bold as brass in the main road looking in a shop window was a frightening prospect. He was very 1970s looking if that is not a daft and vague thing to say. He would wear cord flares (brown) small knitted tank tops (brown and striped) and shirts with large collars (you guessed, brown). They had met and married in 1976 and divorced in 1980, he had died in 1983. This sighting took place in 1986 and he stood out like a sore thumb but no one seemed to notice. He was standing side on to us looking in the window of an electrical shop, and then he turned and walked up the road. Didn’t look at us or acknowledge us at all. There were a lot of people about but we were only about 8 feet away from him and could see him clearly. For years afterwards mum and I would say to each other ‘what about that time we saw Mick!?Was his face reflected in the shop window glass...?
Thanks for posting, its a fascinating incident. Question: was his face reflected in the shop window glass...?

Last edited:
Back