• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
A

Anonymous

Skull find could be missing Briton's

I remember seeing the story of this disappearance in FT - maybe he just showed up:

Police in Australia are trying to identify a human skull found on a popular tourist island amid speculation it could be the remains of a tourist from London who disappeared there two years ago.
The skull was found on Monday morning by another British tourist on Fraser Island, Queensland, 190 miles (300km) north of Brisbane.

Police have cordoned off the area where the skull was discovered but have refused to say whether they suspect it is part of the remains of David John Eason, 46, of Battersea, south London, who disappeared in March 2001.

"We are investigating the fact that a skull has been located.

"We are not at this stage looking at any particular person," said Gavin Marsh, a spokesman for Queensland state police.

Mr Eason, 46, had told a tour group he would stay on a beach to sunbathe before walking to Lake Wabby, near where the skull was found on the World Heritage-listed island.

But he later failed to rejoin the group. Extensive searches failed to find any trace of him.

Eason went missing just weeks before nine-year-old Clinton Gage was fatally mauled by dingoes that lived on the island. Many of them have been culled.

There was speculation at the time that Mr Eason may have met a similar fate.

Mr Marsh said police scientists from Brisbane would arrive at the island Monday night and begin "a thorough investigation" of the area.

The skull will be sent back to Brisbane for examination.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/2946083.stm

The subject of dingo attacks on humans interests me, partly because I read all about the famous 'Dingo Baby' trial in the early 1980s. (And, it seems, unconsciously chose the name of a baby from that family for my own next offspring! How's that for faith in Lindy's innocence!)

A relation who now lives in Oz told me that the problem of dingo attacks was exacerbated by the tourists' practice of feeding them, and that many people believe that the Chamberlain baby was taken by a park ranger's 'pet' dingo which had become too bold. The baby clothes which mysteriously turned up much later were, it is said, planted to try to exonerate Mrs Chamberlain.

escargot said:
The subject of dingo attacks on humans interests me, partly because I read all about the famous 'Dingo Baby' trial in the early 1980s. (And, it seems, unconsciously chose the name of a baby from that family for my own next offspring! How's that for faith in Lindy's innocence!)

A relation who now lives in Oz told me that the problem of dingo attacks was exacerbated by the tourists' practice of feeding them, and that many people believe that the Chamberlain baby was taken by a park ranger's 'pet' dingo which had become too bold. The baby clothes which mysteriously turned up much later were, it is said, planted to try to exonerate Mrs Chamberlain.

Some weirdness related to that case:

Azaria's story takes bizarre new turn

July 5, 2004

Could Azaria's body really be buried in a Melbourne backyard? Ellen Connolly reports.

Up until the day he died, coroner Denis Barritt never departed from what he believed happened to Azaria Chamberlain. A dingo had taken the baby, her body was disposed of "by person or persons unknown" but that Michael and Lindy were innocent, Mr Barritt found in the 1981 inquest.

Twenty-three years on, and an elderly Melbourne man claims he is that unknown person and says he wants to set the record straight before he dies.

Frank Cole, 78, claims Azaria's body may be buried in a Melbourne backyard, but yesterday some of his claims were already being contradicted.

He detailed how he and his three mates found the infant in the jaws of a dingo he shot near Uluru in 1980. It had four puncture holes in its head and one of its ears was missing.

Fearing they would be punished for shooting illegally in a national park, they did not take the body to police immediately.

Instead they agreed to tell the authorities they had hit the dingo on the road and then found the baby in its jaws. They never did. Mr Cole believes two of the men brought it back to Melbourne and buried it.

Northern Territory police said last night they would hold discussions with Victorian police this week about the claim. Detectives will interview Mr Cole before deciding whether to reopen the investigation. What could prove crucial is Mr Cole's version of what Azaria was wearing. According to Mr Cole, one of his mates started cutting the clothing with a knife, but another one told him to undo the buttons. "We had some trouble with the buttons on the jacket, so I took a pair of small tin snips out of my tool box and cut the buttons off," Mr Cole said.

But Barry Boettcher, the eminent forensic biologist whose expert evidence helped lead to Mrs Chamberlain's pardon, said there was evidence that the buttons on the jacket were easy to undo.

"Lindy told police that the button holes were a bit loose and that if Azaria wriggled a bit in bed they would undo themselves," he said. "So if he is speaking of a jacket then it just doesn't march."

However, Professor Boettcher said he would not discount Mr Cole's claims and said there may be "some inaccuracies due to the passage of time".

"Why would a 78-year-old man who has nothing to gain come out with something like this if he didn't think it was correct? I think he should be accorded some credence and police should look at his claims."

In 1987 a textiles expert found that damage to Azaria's jumpsuit, singlet and matinee jacket had probably been produced by a single knife stroke.

Azaria's jumpsuit and matinee jacket are stored in a secure room at the Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine.

Mr Cole's son, Don, told a Melbourne newspaper yesterday his father told him the story for the first time about 14 months ago. "He wanted to know what he should have done. My interpretation of it is that it was playing on his mind and he wanted to get it off his chest," he said.

In 1982 Mrs Chamberlain was sentenced to life in prison after a jury found her guilty of killing her baby. She was released in 1986.

Her husband Michael was found guilty of being an accessory, but was given a suspended sentence. In 1988 the convictions against the couple were quashed.

The pair received
Originally posted by escargot

Some weirdness related to that case:

Azaria's story takes bizarre new turn

July 5, 2004

Could Azaria's body really be buried in a Melbourne backyard? Ellen Connolly reports.

Up until the day he died, coroner Denis Barritt never departed from what he believed happened to Azaria Chamberlain. A dingo had taken the baby, her body was disposed of "by person or persons unknown" but that Michael and Lindy were innocent, Mr Barritt found in the 1981 inquest.

Twenty-three years on, and an elderly Melbourne man claims he is that unknown person and says he wants to set the record straight before he dies.

Frank Cole, 78, claims Azaria's body may be buried in a Melbourne backyard, but yesterday some of his claims were already being contradicted.

He detailed how he and his three mates found the infant in the jaws of a dingo he shot near Uluru in 1980. It had four puncture holes in its head and one of its ears was missing.

Fearing they would be punished for shooting illegally in a national park, they did not take the body to police immediately.

Instead they agreed to tell the authorities they had hit the dingo on the road and then found the baby in its jaws. They never did. Mr Cole believes two of the men brought it back to Melbourne and buried it.

Northern Territory police said last night they would hold discussions with Victorian police this week about the claim. Detectives will interview Mr Cole before deciding whether to reopen the investigation. What could prove crucial is Mr Cole's version of what Azaria was wearing. According to Mr Cole, one of his mates started cutting the clothing with a knife, but another one told him to undo the buttons. "We had some trouble with the buttons on the jacket, so I took a pair of small tin snips out of my tool box and cut the buttons off," Mr Cole said.

But Barry Boettcher, the eminent forensic biologist whose expert evidence helped lead to Mrs Chamberlain's pardon, said there was evidence that the buttons on the jacket were easy to undo.

"Lindy told police that the button holes were a bit loose and that if Azaria wriggled a bit in bed they would undo themselves," he said. "So if he is speaking of a jacket then it just doesn't march."

However, Professor Boettcher said he would not discount Mr Cole's claims and said there may be "some inaccuracies due to the passage of time".

"Why would a 78-year-old man who has nothing to gain come out with something like this if he didn't think it was correct? I think he should be accorded some credence and police should look at his claims."

In 1987 a textiles expert found that damage to Azaria's jumpsuit, singlet and matinee jacket had probably been produced by a single knife stroke.

Azaria's jumpsuit and matinee jacket are stored in a secure room at the Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine.

Mr Cole's son, Don, told a Melbourne newspaper yesterday his father told him the story for the first time about 14 months ago. "He wanted to know what he should have done. My interpretation of it is that it was playing on his mind and he wanted to get it off his chest," he said.

In 1982 Mrs Chamberlain was sentenced to life in prison after a jury found her guilty of killing her baby. She was released in 1986.

Her husband Michael was found guilty of being an accessory, but was given a suspended sentence. In 1988 the convictions against the couple were quashed.

The pair received $1.3 million in compensation for wrongful conviction.

Mr Cole said he felt bad as he watched the Chamberlains go through their ordeal, but he had agreed to keep quiet.

He claimed he told Azaria's mother - now Mrs Chamberlain-Creighton - of his story during a phone conversation about a year ago. But, he alleged, she told him not to do anything about his story until a Channel Seven telemovie, based on her autobiography, was complete.

Mrs Chamberlain-Creighton said through a spokeswoman yesterday that she knew of Mr Cole's claims, but denied telling him not to go to the police.

Graeme Charlwood, the police officer who headed initial investigations into the disappearance of Azaria, said yesterday the new claims seemed far-fetched. "It seems to me a little odd and far-fetched to say that one of the other people took the body to Melbourne and buried it in a backyard," he said. "The whole thing is out of the ordinary."
.3 million in compensation for wrongful conviction.

Mr Cole said he felt bad as he watched the Chamberlains go through their ordeal, but he had agreed to keep quiet.

He claimed he told Azaria's mother - now Mrs Chamberlain-Creighton - of his story during a phone conversation about a year ago. But, he alleged, she told him not to do anything about his story until a Channel Seven telemovie, based on her autobiography, was complete.

Mrs Chamberlain-Creighton said through a spokeswoman yesterday that she knew of Mr Cole's claims, but denied telling him not to go to the police.

Graeme Charlwood, the police officer who headed initial investigations into the disappearance of Azaria, said yesterday the new claims seemed far-fetched. "It seems to me a little odd and far-fetched to say that one of the other people took the body to Melbourne and buried it in a backyard," he said. "The whole thing is out of the ordinary."

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/04/1088879374526.html?oneclick=true

We need to know the names of the blokes involved so their gardens can be dug up!
There wouldn't be much left of the body now though, it's been a long time.
Wonder if this is a real attempt to sort things, or a strange hoax?

I suspect he's a bit short of a full deck.

He was afraid of coming forward because of a possible firearms charge? And then felt a bit guilty during the trial.

And then his mate took the body home and buried it?

"A Cry in the Dark"- new evidence?

Police examine dingo baby claim

Australian police are probing a man's claim he shot a dingo that snatched a baby at the centre of a 1982 law case.

Lindy Chamberlain had her murder conviction overturned by proving her baby Azaria was taken by a dingo at a campsite at Uluru, formerly Ayers Rock.

A newspaper has sparked speculation by printing new claims by Frank Cole, 87.

Mr Cole says he shot the wild dog with Azaria's body still in its jaws while on a camping trip with three friends in August 1980.

Buried body?

Mr Cole told the Sunday Herald Sun that he did not tell police because he feared he would be fined for killing the dog.

He said one of his friends took Azaria's body and never said what he did with it. But Mr Cole said he thought one of the men - who has since died - could have buried the baby's body in his garden in Melbourne, Victoria.

Victoria Police told BBC News Online: "We are aware of the recent claims and Victoria Chief Commissioner Christine Nixon has offered to assist Northern Territories Police in any investigation into these comments and whether they have any validity."

The probe will be headed by police in the Northern Territories, where Azaria disappeared.

Some scepticism has greeted the claims about the infamous case that was followed closely throughout Australia and across the world.

Paul Everingham, who was political leader of the Northern Territory province when Azaria went missing, told the Associated Press: "I find it hard to believe, maybe it's right but I'm not buying it, certainly not at this stage."

The story of Azaria's disappearance was made into a 1988 Hollywood movie, A Cry in the Dark, starring Meryl Streep and Sam Neill.

Lindy Chamberlain was convicted of murdering her infant but later released from prison and cleared of the crime after fresh evidence supported her claim that a dingo took the child.

BBCi News 05/07/04

I don't quite understand the guy's initial hesitance in coming forward at the time, killing a dingo is worse than finding a dead baby?

I can understand it well enough. People who are doing things they shouldn't are naturally wary of being caught. Maybe they thought they'd be blamed for the baby's death.

If you consider that men who sexually assault children, say, sometimes kill them even though a. murder is so serious that the police and public will go all-out to catch them and b. the penalty for murder is far more severe than for assault, you'll see that logic doesn't come into it.

Or it could be a hoax. ;)

I guess my initial response to it was that it is a hoax but you're right Escargot, maybe the thought that they would be incriminated to the baby's death made them keep quiet through the years.

I did run a search for similar articles for this- Dingo Baby Murder Australia but the FT search didn't give any results for this, I also didn't look under 'skull find could be missing Briton's'. Sorry for posting in the wrong place.

Mother forgives dingo confession

Jul 7, 2004

The woman who spent four years in jail for killing her baby in the Australian Outback says she forgives the man who could have cleared her but chose not to.

Lindy Chamberlain was jailed for life for murdering her daughter Azaria in 1980, but was later cleared of the killing.

She has always claimed that Azaria had been carried off in the night by a dingo - a story backed up by the confession this week of a Melbourne pensioner.

Frank Cole, 78, says he shot a dingo which was carrying a dead baby in its jaws in the area where Azaria went missing and at around the same time.

"It would be nice if he was right because it could put everything to rest," Chamberlain said.

"There's no point of holding grudges, the only person you hurt is yourself," she added.

She said she has spoken to Cole about his claims and forgives him for not coming forward earlier.

Cole has apologised to Chamberlain and her former husband Michael Chamberlain for not going to the police with his story earlier.

"Look, I'm terribly sorry if I've ruined your lives or if I'm the cause of the breaking up of your marriage or her going to jail, you know," he said.

"But how can you undo something that's done."

Cole says he did not come forward at the time of Chamberlin's trial because he was scared of being prosecuted for hunting in a national park. He said he had decided to now because he did not want to take the truth to his grave.

Northern Territories police are investigating Cole's claim but there are already some doubts over his version of events.

Cole says after finding Azaria's body he undressed her by cutting the buttons off her jumpsuit.

Dr Kenneth Brown, a forensic scientist who worked on the murder inquiry, denies this can have been the case.

"The jumpsuit had no buttons. The jumpsuit had press studs. They were intact when we recieved the clothing," he said.

Azaria's father, Michael Chamberlain said the implications of what Cole has said are, "extremely serious, some would say bizarre".

"I think that if he's not telling the truth he's a fool. If he is telling the truth he's a very courageous man - it's just a pity he didn't tell it earlier," he said.

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/news_world_story_skin/434833?format=html

Possibly mauled to death on Fraser by dingos - how dreadful. Poor chap. I hope he'd already died of a heart attack or something first.

I believe I'm right in saying that the evidence that exonerated Mrs Chamberlain was rather overwhelming. Many people in Australia simply did not believe that a dingo would kill a child like that, hence part of the suspicion of the Chamberlains, whereas the tragic death of the little boy on Fraser proved that it can, sadly, occur.

As regards the story about burying a baby in a backyard in Melbourne, the starkest anomaly in my mind is that rather than burying the baby in the Outback where there can literally be no-one around for hundreds of miles, the body was instead taken hundreds of miles south back to a highly populated area and buried. Odd to say the least.

I can believe that a dingo might kill a baby, but I am more willing to believe that a dingo would be a willing participant in an infantcide case.

And I can also believe that if public opinion was favourable, a woman guilty of infantcide could blame the dingo....

If dingos attacked humans, wouldnt the aborigines be afraid of them?

Just think about it Homo Aves: fully domesticated pet dogs attack and kill babies, children and adults from time to time, and many people are perfectly willing to have them in their homes.

The Dingo NEARLY ate my Baby!

Dingo stalks baby on Fraser Island

A wild dingo has stalked a family on Queensland's Fraser Island, walking into its hotel room and coming dangerously close to a three-month-old baby.

The Brisbane family says it found the dingo close to the baby and it only left the room after being shooed away by the baby's father.
Three years ago, dingoes mauled to death a nine-year-old boy on the island. The baby's mother, Belinda Corke, says her family has had a lucky escape.

"I was in the bathroom cleaning my teeth," Ms Corke said. "I'd just been out to the verandah to collect our swimming things to go down to breakfast and my husband was about to get in the shower.

"So we were both in the bathroom and I'd left the patio doors slightly ajar.

"I heard my five-year-old daughter starting to scream when I was in the bathroom but at first I just thought she was messing about and I didn't immediately run out.

"Then my husband heard her shouting 'dingo, dingo'. We ran into the bedroom expecting to find the dingo out on the road or nearby, but not in the hotel room which it was.

"We had our three-month-old baby lying on the bed and Georgia was standing in front of her very bravely. The dingo was about two-foot away from the baby.

"It was quite nasty. It stood its ground too. My husband had to really stamp his feet and run at it and 'shoo, shoo' and clap his hands together to get it out of the room.

"Obviously we were very shaken because of the consequences, if it had grabbed the baby and yanked it off the bed it wouldn't have been very nice," she said.

Ms Corke says she does not know whether the dingo would have attacked her baby.

"I don't know. It might have gone for the [older] child. It was very interested. It was very close to them, looking at them both," she said.

"The whole thing was over in a minute or two but if neither of us were in the room that would have been pretty awful."

She says she was surprised that the island's dingoes had become so bold.

"Obviously we knew there were dingos on the island and we were very aware that they were in picnic areas and on beaches and so forth but to have one in your hotel room is a different thing altogether," Ms Corke said.

However, Ms Corke says she does not believe the offending dingo should be put down.

"I think they should catch it and take it to the other end of the island where there wasn't human habitation to tempt it," she said.

"I think we share this planet with animals and I think this is really an unfortunate circumstance.

"What would be a wiser precaution to take on the part of all of us or the island is that they could at least put more explicit signs that these animals have become so bold that they are willing to come into a room.

"There are signs and leaflets about saying don't feed them in picnic areas and so forth but there's nothing to suggest that they might actually wander into your hotel room.

"I just think we need to be more aware of them but I wouldn't want the dingoes destroyed."

In other developments:
The Queensland Parks and Wildlife Services will put down a dingo which approached a three-month-old baby lying on a bed on Fraser Island.
Last Update: Wednesday, November 10, 2004. 12:40pm (AEDT)http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200411/s1239826.htm

And the Dingo is at fault because?
:rolleyes:

I was told a year or so ago that the original 'dingo baby' was probably killed by a dingo which had become a sort of pet of the local park rangers and was used to approaching humans for food.

Seems that the dingoes will hang around anywhere they might be fed. Going into bedrooms is bold though.

Wasn't Fraser Island the site of the last dingo attack (against a group of church-camp kiddies)?

Well, we don't have any lions down here, we have to make do :D

They're obviously becoming bolder because a) their natural habitat has been encroached upon therefore natural food sources are less readily available and b) why not exploit an opportunity? We're all lazy sometimes.

As was previously posted, the dingo is at fault because???

Just think about it Homo Aves, fully domesticated pet dogs attack and kill babies, children and adults, and most people are willing to have them in their homes.

Ah but our perceptions of them are different, we are taught that they are `mans best friend` (never mind that they are stupid, dirty, diesease carrying brutes) a dingo is a wild animal similar to a wolf.

And dingoes are frighteningly smart creatures. I have read accounts of dingo hunters. They are up a very formidible opponent.

Fraser Island has something of a control problem with Dingoes. Large population of them. I don't know if they are being culled or not, but there are places on the island (most of it) where you do not camp at night, or wander off.

"stupid, dirty, diesease carrying brutes"

Would we be talking about humans here ;)

There was a cull of dingoes on Fraser Island after the attack on that little boy previously mentioned.

In defence of the dingoes, they are not especially vicious or dangerous in themselves - I've had them happily trotting around a camp and they can be quite timid and docile. The problem with Fraser Island though is the unusually high level of contact they get with humans, which makes them bolder and, in packs, potentially very aggressive. It's worth pointing out (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the Aborigines used domesticated dingoes, and that dingoes probably first reached Australia because they were brought across as domesticated creatures.

They were indeed introduced during the second major wave of migration from Asia, sometime around 10 to 20 thousand years ago (I think - the first wave was somewhere between 40 and 100 thousand years ago).

This seems to have wiped out the mainland Thylacine - dingoes never made it to Tasmania - and may have helped with the extinction of the Australian mega-fauna (or maybe not). They were introduced as domesticated hunting dogs, some of which later escaped and went wild.

Which brings up another point. In whichever language it comes from, the Dingo is the tame version, there was another name for the wild one that we call a Dingo nowadays. (Or maybe I have that backwards, I can't recall.) They are the same dog, anyway. (In fact they are canis familiaris along with the Labrador, the Alsatian, the Poodle, and the Dachsund (etc, etc). Cross breeds with the Border Collie and Kelpie have led to the Blue and Red Cattle Dogs.

So in theory, they are just like any other breed of common dog that lives wild. I wouldn't trust a labrador that had grown up wild, although they would still be cute.

`Warringal` be it??

Abos kept dogs, -they also kept a check on the numbers by eating the fattest pups.

This proved problematic when sheepfarming was introduced, there were fewer abos and those that were there didnt eat dogs.

This problem of primary preditation comes up. Australia has very few big predators, Dingoes and Thylacines were about all. (and people) why was this?

We dont know much about the australian past at all. Less about the dingo/thylacine interaction. (they have different habits and so it is surmised they didnt compete much. Also going by historical records, a dingo that went for its slower, stupider rival would be in big trouble.)

First of all, using the term "Abo" is disrespectful. While I'm not aboriginal myself, it still bothers me.

Secondly, Thylacines disappeared from the mainland at about the same time the Dingos or whatever turned up. I think it's pretty obvious they would have competed, dogs are notorious for eating anything. With scarce resources, they would have been pressured into eating the same prey animals that the thylacines did. The people wouldn't have helped either, they probably applied additional pressure that the thylacine population couldn't take.

Also, I find the assumption that thylacines were slower and stupider dubious. It's not likely they would survive as a predator under those conditions. (Maybe as a scavenger, but still.) If they did, then that's another reason the introduction of dogs would lead to their extinction.

Basically, every time a marsupial has had to deal with pressure from a placental in a similar niche, the placental has won. They breed faster, and most of the placentals that have been introduced (foxes, rabbits, cats, dogs) are better advantaged by the presence of European settlement.

You're right that I can't say that for sure, but that's my opinion based on my understanding of the matter.

New inquest into dingo baby case
Thirty years after the disappearance of Azaria Chamberlain from a campsite in Australia's Northern Territory, a fourth inquest will be held
Lee Glendinning Sydney guardian.co.uk, Monday 11 October 2010 05.28

A new inquest will be held into the death of Azaria Chamberlain, the ten-week old baby whose parents have always asserted she was taken by a dingo in Australia's northern territory.

The disappearance of Azaria from a campsite in Uluru, where her family was camping on August 17, 1980, has become one of Australia's most enduring mysteries.

Now, thirty years after the child disappeared, sources in the Northern Territory have told the Australian press they are preparing for a new inquest next year.

Lindy Chamberlain holding her daughter Azaria at Uluru (Ayers Rock) in the Northern Territory, in August 1980. Photograph: News Ltd/AFP/Getty Images It will be the fourth inquest into Azaria's death, which is still officially recorded as unknown.

Azaria's mother, Lindy Chamberlain-Creighton was convicted of her daughter's murder in 1982, and sentenced to life imprisonment, but released four years later. Her conviction was quashed after a piece of Azaria's clothing was found near a dingo lair, supporting the mother's claim that she saw a dingo take the the baby from their tent.

While a royal commission exonerated the Chamberlains in 1987, the third inquest in 1995, recorded an open finding on Azaria's death.

Michael Chamberlain, Azaria's father, told the Sydney Morning Herald his decision to push for another inquest stemmed from new evidence - including up to six dingo attacks on humans since his daughter's death, and one where a nine-year-old child was killed by two dingoes on Fraser Island in 2001.

There had been many "long knives and 30 years down the track there are still people alove with reputations to protect,'' he added.

Earlier this year, on the 30th anniversary of Azaria's death, Chamberlain-Creighton asked for the cause of death on her daughter's death certificate to be changed to show that a dingo was responsible.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oc ... go-inquest

Just to point out, Fraser Island is a long way from Uluru. In fact, Uluru is almost as far away from the coast in any direction as you can get.

Also, the Fraser Island dingo attacks involved packs, not lone animals, if I remember correctly.

Really, the two situations are not comparable. Not to say that there isn't reason to look into the case again, but I think they're reaching a bit here.

Good Lord - 30 years later??? I mean, what new evidence could there be?

Dingos have proven to attack children and adults. Unless I am very much mistaken, this has just to do with a new book by the mother, who apparently is making some claims in there that are uncomfortable for the authorities.

Not sure what they are yet, though.

Australian dingo baby case to be reopened
Father of Azaria Chamberlain who disappeared in 1980 'confident' new inquiry will officially rule a dingo took his daughter
guardian.co.uk, Monday 19 December 2011 08.45 GMT

The father of a baby who infamously vanished in the Australian outback more than 30 years said he is confident a new inquiry into the tragedy will officially rule that a dingo took his daughter.

The disappearance of nine-week-old Azaria Chamberlain on 17 August 1980, from a campsite near Uluru (Ayers Rock) divided Australians with some believing a native dog known as a dingo killed her and others who thought she was murdered by her mother, Lindy Chamberlain.

Northern Territory coroner Elizabeth Morris announced on Sunday that a fourth inquest into the tragedy will begin in February to review the open finding of the third inquest that in 1995 failed to determine a cause of death.

The tragedy and the legal drama that ensued became the subject of the 1988 movie A Cry in the Dark with Meryl Streep earning an Academy Award nomination for her portrayal of Lindy Chamberlain, who has since remarried and taken the name Chamberlain-Creighton.

Chamberlain-Creighton received a life sentence for her daughter's murder and spent four years in prison in the 1980s before the conviction was overturned.

Morris said in statement that she would examine new evidence provided by Azaria's parents that dingoes attack children.

Michael Chamberlain, who was given a suspended sentence in 1982 for being his wife's accessory in his daughter's murder but has since been cleared of any crime, said he is confident that the legal process would turn full circle by reaching the same conclusion as the original coroner Denis Barritt did in 1981 – that a dingo took the baby.
"I don't think people open inquests without thinking there's good reason for it and that means there'd have to be a change from the status quo of the open finding that was in 1995," Chamberlain told The Associated Press.
"It's now looking at dingoes, not people, as to the cause of death," he added.

But Chamberlain said he was prepared to ask the Northern Territory supreme court to overturn the 1995 coroner's finding if Morris had not agreed to reopen the case.
"I am pleasantly surprised and very grateful that at long last there's a meaningful attempt … to determine the proper cause and truth about how my daughter died," he added.

John Lawrence, a senior lawyer involved in a separate federal government inquiry that in 1987 exonerated both parents over the tragedy, agreed that the new inquest would be a final legal chapter that concluded a dingo was responsible.

Previous inquiries were provided with no record of dingoes ever attacking children. But in 2001, a nine-year-old boy was mauled to death on Fraser Island, the last wild habitat of purebred dingoes off eastern Australia, and two girls aged three and four have since survived dingo attacks on the same island.
"I think that the void will be filled by the new evidence on the dingo," Lawrence told Australian Broadcasting Corp radio.
"The inquest will come to a conclusion very much similar to Mr Barritt's … and that should really put it to bed," he added.

Chamberlain-Creighton could not be immediately contacted for comment on Monday.
But last year on the 30th anniversary of Azaria's disappearance, she pleaded in an open letter posted on her website for her daughter's death certificate to state that a dingo was to blame.
"She deserves justice," Chamberlain-Creighton wrote.

John Bryson, a lawyer who wrote the definitive book about the tragedy Evil Angels upon which the 1988 movie was based, said the new inquest showed that the Northern Territory legal establishment was moving beyond lingering biases against the parents.
"They're entitled to their verdict," Bryson said of the parents. "They've been through a nightmare."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/de ... e-reopened

rynner2 said:
Australian dingo baby case to be reopened
Father of Azaria Chamberlain who disappeared in 1980 'confident' new inquiry will officially rule a dingo took his daughter
guardian.co.uk, Monday 19 December 2011 08.45 GMT

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/de ... e-reopened

Dingo caused baby Azaria Chamberlain's death - coroner

An Australian coroner has made a final ruling that a dingo dog took baby Azaria Chamberlain from a campsite in 1980 and caused her death.
The decision was made after Azaria's parents presented new evidence to try to clear their names.

After the eight week-old baby went missing, they were charged with her disappearance. Her mother was convicted of her murder.
She was released when evidence matched the dingo story but doubts lingered.
They have long argued that the open verdict recorded after an earlier review of the case left room for doubt about Lindy Chamberlain-Creighton's innocence.

''Obviously we are relieved and delighted to come to the end of this saga,'' Ms Chamberlain-Creighton told reporters outside the courthouse.
''No longer will Australia be able to say that dingoes are not dangerous,'' she added. ''We live in a beautiful country but it is dangerous.''

Speaking after her, Mr Michael Chamberlain, the baby's father, said ''the truth is out''.
He was with his ex-wife at the Darwin courthouse for the verdict.
''Now, some healing and a chance to put our daughter's spirit to rest.''

The Northern Territory coroner Elizabeth Morris delivered an emotional verdict, asking baby Azaria's parents to accept her ''sincere sympathy'' for the loss.
''Time does not remove the pain and sadness of the death of a child,'' Ms Morris said.
She added that a death certificate was now available for the parents and the final findings could be found on the coroners office website.

Ms Chamberlain-Creighton has campaigned tirelessly to have dingoes officially blamed for the death of her child, says the BBC's Duncan Kennedy.
Earlier this year, the Chamberlains gave evidence to a coroner in Darwin recording a series of other attacks by dingoes on humans.

Virtually ever since Azaria vanished from her tent near Uluru (Ayers Rock) in 1980, Australia has been engrossed by the question of whether she was taken by a dingo.
In 1982, Ms Chamberlain-Creighton was found guilty of her baby's murder and sentenced to life imprisonment, while Mr Chamberlain was found guilty of being an accessory.
Both were later exonerated on all charges, after the chance discovery of a fragment of Azaria's clothing in an area dotted with dingo lairs.

It was a case that divided Australians and was even turned into the film A Cry In The Dark, starring Meryl Streep.
Three previous coroner's inquests proved inconclusive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-18404330

At the time, this incident was fueled by so much ignorance (the Family were Seventh Day Adventists - the Daughters name, Azaria, meant 'sacrifice in the desert), it was then fanned by the Press and television ( the mother didn't show enough emotion), and finally the forensic team couldn't tell the difference between foetal heamoglobin, and rust preventative. Unfortunately, this case alone, showed the complete nastiness of a large percentage of the Australian population, who preferred to believe that a Mother would kill Her child, rather than a group of wild dogs.

The story I heard was that some old fella came across the body of Azaria, or what was left of her (the dog or dingo usually eats the head first), was horrified to find it and reasoned that some one from the Chamberlain Family would need to identify the body if he notified the authorities of his find, so instead of putting them through that hell, the old fella buried what was left of Azaria, then chucked the remains of the play suit down a wombats hole. I can only imagine that the wombat chucked the fabric out of it's hole and some one came along and found the scraps

As I said, it was a story I heard. Either way, It is a blot on Australia that this family had to go through this sort of baal gammon so many times.

The local Pitjantjatjarra at Mutitjulu were never even consulted formally. Apparently there was no doubt in their minds at all what happened. Dingoes and camp dogs have always been known to take infants at every opportunity among the desert communities. They used to take full grown wethers and even young cattle from the pastorals, necessitating the 'dog fence' across the country. These dogs are wild, they are efficient killers and are vicious by temperament - effectively, native Australian wolves.

dingo.jpg

Back