• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
A

Anonymous

Do you think there might have been a dinosaur civlisation, any proof of one? There have been some metal spheres that have been found by archaelogists as well as areas that are abnormally radioactive.

Are there any dinosaurs that look like couild build a civilsation. (ones with some sort of hands)

Stenonychosaurus could've tried, dunno if much would have come of it.
My money is on prehistoric humans. We have got 90,000 years when nothing seems to have happened; the human race I know and hold in slight contempt would never have sat still in a tent for 90,000 years.

Inverurie Jones said:
My money is on prehistoric humans. We have got 90,000 years when nothing seems to have happened; the human race I know and hold in slight contempt would never have sat still in a tent for 90,000 years.
They were out doing the 'Ray Mears' bit with the survival stuff, IJ. Pointy sticks and napped flints, smouldering lichens, magic mushrooms and roast squirrel. That kept them busy enough. ;)

here you are...

gpgwebdesign.com.au/dinoman.htm
Link and website are dead.
An archived version of the webpage can be accessed at the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20040505053411/http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/5242/dinoeng.html

Its possible they ruled and left..

Edit: Here is the text and illustrations from the MIA (un-copyrighted) webpage.
DINOMAN
The smartest dinosaur ever !!

"Creator made the serpent wise / Evil in his tempting eyes"
(Genesis 1, 4)
Scusa, preferirei leggere il testo Italiano.

Excerpts from "Extraterrestrials - A field guide for Earthlings" by Terence Dickson & Adolf Schaller, Camden House 1994.

Suppose dinosaurs had not become extinct? While we can merely guess how extra-terrestrials might look, we have a hint of what intelligent life on Earth might have been like if the history of life on this planet had been changed just slightly.

What if dinosaurs had continued to evolve? Thatís what Dale Russell, a palaeontologist at the Canadian Museum of Nature, wondered. Russell theoretically extended the evolution of the most intelligent known dinosaur, a long-tailed forest dweller about five feet tall called Stenonychosaurus. This dinosaur was about the size of a kangaroo and lived 70 or 80 million years ago in what is now western Canada. It was the smartest dinosaur known, with a larger brain (compared with body weight) than that of any other animal on Earth.

After forecasting 50 million years of theoretically evolution, Russell came up with Dinoman, a hairless green-skinned creature (shown here beside Stenonychosaurus) with a bulging skull, luminous catlike eyes and three-fingered hands, not unlike some of the extraterrestrials that have populated science fiction films.

david4-1.jpg
Dinoman is 4 1/2 feet tall and would have a live weight of about 32 kilograms. It's brain is the same size as that of a human of similar stature, about the size of a 13-year-old human. It is warm-blooded.

david2-1.jpg

Since the teeth of Stenonychosaurus were small compared with related dinosaurs, Russell thinks that teeth may have been on the way out from an evolutionary standpoint. Dinoman, therefore, had none. Instead, the biting edges of the mouth are "keratinous occlusal surfaces", similar to those of a turtle.

david3-1.jpg

What this research suggests is that the humanoid shape might be a natural form for a creature with a large brain.

The general body of the humans - two arms, two legs and a head on a relatively short neck - is no accident. It is the most logical arrangement for a big-brained land-dwelling creature.

Last edited by a moderator:
AndroMan said:
They were out doing the 'Ray Mears' bit with the survival stuff, IJ. Pointy sticks and napped flints, smouldering lichens, magic mushrooms and roast squirrel. That kept them busy enough. ;)

Aw, where's the fun in that, then?
I've seen the Stenonychosauroman thing in paleantology books, but only ever mentioned as a sort of throw away aside...looks eerily familiar, doesn't it?

Feeling of deja vu...

Dinosaurs 'ruled the earth' for millions of years, millions of years ago....

T. Rex is apparently known from about a dozen fossilized remains, spread over several (hundreds? of) millions of years.....

So the buggers could have had a complex civilisation that time, erosion, etc. has totally eradicated since they 'prowled the earth'

What human achievements would survive 65 million years of glaciation, weather erosion, vulcanism, shoddy building and neglect?

(Somewhere on the moon, there's a plaque that says "We came in peace for all Saurian kind")

Big, three-toed footprints in the dust...'cos, let's face it, those sauropods would never have made it, would they? Stupid buggers.

Someone tell Icke the Reptoids are only 5 foot odd and were here first...

Well, they didn't have lips, so I imagine they couldn't have vocalized much more than grunts or shrieks, so I really doubt advanced language would be possible.
Civilization can't exist without language, so, unless they were telepathic...

If dinosaurs were intelligent enough to develop civilization, why aren't any animals that smart today?

Birds dotn have lips and can make complex sounds, maybe the dinosaurs whistled at each other like birds. And since they think birds evolved from a dinosaur.....

*looks at self and other humans wandering about*

uh....

Wasn't there a buzz going round that Velociraptors had opposable thumbs and human-like intelligence?

If it's true, you have the making of an animal that could achieve technology of some sort and civilisation.

How would we know if that were the case though?

Piscez said:
If dinosaurs were intelligent enough to develop civilization, why aren't any animals that smart today?

It takes a lot of intelligence to make us think that they aren't smart!! ;)

Quicksilver said:
How would we know if that were the case though?

If we try to imagine what will still be around in 65 million years to show that humans ever existed, most buildings and artifacts would disintegrate- plastics decay to oil, metals to oxides- except gold
perhaps Tutankamuns mask would survive or some other similar object-
some deep mines in continental shield areas would survive, as discussed on the mining/evidence thread
however I think the most common evidence would be worked flints- the evidence of working should be preserved for a very long time under suitable conditions-

I assume that intelligent dino's would have passed through a stone age at some point... modern tech might disintegrate, but ancient tools and gold 'votive' objects will give an impression of a primitive intelligence
even if they had computers

Piscez said:

Speak for yourself.

Wouldn't the remains of any Dino civilisations have been 'recycled' by tectonic activity?

Yes, some of them- particularly if they built on the erstwhile eastern edge of the former island continent of India-
IIRC The whole eastern half of that continent was subsumed (except the seychelles)
(it is 25 years since I did any geology so this might be out of date
but a lot of the Mesozoic sediments are still around in other parts of the world-
er
most of these sediments were laid down in shallow seas and river estuaries
so might not preserve dino-motorways and tower blocks very well

heh heh
there may of course be a dino civ in the future (but I always say something like that)

And maybe before the Dino civilisation there was a Trilobite civilisation.....?

Of all the billions of species that must have evolved on this planet over the eras, why has only one made it to the level of sentient intelligence? If we're unique on this planet, chances are we're unique in the universe too (lots of life, no sentience). But if there's intelligent life on other planets, chances are it's developed on his planet in the past too..... And there would be very little remains left to find of a land based 65mya civilisation.

One possible clue: contrary to popular belief, the dinosuars didn't all die out overnight. Various species became extinct over a period of time. Much like mammals are today at the hands of mankind.....:eek:

Perhaps all these meteor impacts and supervolcanoes are all just red herrings. The real cause of the periodic mass extinctions is simply that they mark the point at which a sentient species evolves, creates environmental mayhem, and then wipes itself out. Whereupon evolution starts over once again.... One day a non-destructive sentience will evolve. One day.

Maybe they evolved to the point of screwing up the planet, developed interstellar travel and thought, 'Bugg'rit, this ones had it, let's move to another one.'
Nowadays, they just come back as tourists, a bit like visiting Knowsely Safari Park, 'ooh, look at the bald little apes, they almost look reptillian. Do you think they're more intelligent than they look?'

Maybe that thin layer of minerals we attribute to the asteroid impact is in fact the rusted, compressed remains of dinotopia?

All I can say is bring on the Pylons & Sleesatx - 'casue it's all true, baby!

Ranger Will & Holly, on a routine expedition....

:D :cool: ;) :p

Originally posted by Mr R.i.n.g.

All I can say is bring on the Pylons & Sleesatx - 'casue it's all true, baby!

Sorry Mr R.i.n.g. Could you explain please?

Woops - I was being silly there! I was talking about the great 70's Krofft show Land of the Lost, about a family that, on a rafting trip, accidently fally through a dimensional door into Earth's past and encounter the reminants of a reptilian humanoid civilization that stored it's power in pyramids and crystals.

This race of reptiles were called the Sleestax, and almost all of them had reverted back to a more primitave state... but one, Enik, was still intellegent and was using the ruins of the civilization at first to just try to restore his civilization and it's mistakes, then later to send Marshall, Will & Holly back to their world too.

It was very 70's but it had top writers working on scripts, and decent effects for the time, and it was pretty darn fun, particularly the heavy sci-fi time travel episodes.

Here is a link if you want to look at some graphics. And the reptillian humanoids, the Sleestax, look just like the creature on the first link in this thread....

http://www.landofthelost.com/

Just a correction to Mr RING's post: The land of the lost wasn't the past, but some sort of parallel universe. A small one by the way, since you could go to the tallest mountain, take a look with binoculars and see your back (sorry, can't explain why on heaven's name optics where so weird in there). They made a new version of the series in the 90's, but it was more campy than the original.

There was a voyager episode where they encountered a reptillian race, that evidence pointed a DNA match indicating the same origin as humans, indicating they were the remnants of the dinosaurs traveled way out into the universe. They denied this because they had been out and about for millions of years.

Onix said:
some sort of parallel universe. A small one by the way, since you could go to the tallest mountain, take a look with binoculars and see your back (sorry, can't explain why on heaven's name optics where so weird in there).

this must have been inspired by the idea of rolled up dimensions, outlandish stuff perhaps in those days, but now an accepted part of cosmology...
As well as the three dimensions of space and one of time, m-theory suggests that there are perhaps seven or so tiny dimensions to our own universe, but if you attempt to move in that direction you will come straight back to your starting point almost immediately.
these dimensions are smaller than an atom, so you couldn't get any post-dinosaurs in there.

Thank Mr R.I.N.G. looks interesting but don't think it ever made it to the UK?

...well, I suppose if small, ratlike beasts with no lips can develop into us over MYA, it's not entirely daft to believe in cities teeming with extra-brainy velociraptors.

But this idea would surely necessitate a radical rethink of all existing paradigms... I mean, I'm not sure i could ever watch a repeat of 'V' again...and are there coelocanthic survivors out there?? Do we have to start taking David Eycke seriously now? It would certainly explain Peter Mandleson, if nothing else...

JackSkellington said:
Maybe that thin layer of minerals we attribute to the asteroid impact is in fact the rusted, compressed remains of dinotopia?

Heh. I'm quoting my own post, but I re-read and realised I wanted to follow it up. :p

Surely our cities, the buildings and the foundations, wiring, piping, sewers, man made materials, dust from pollution etc will eventually, in millions of years time, be compressed into a thin layer... now wouldn't this look different to other layers in the rock, and wouldn't it be unevenly distributed over the globe? The more built-up the thicker, in some places non-existent.

We'd see concentrations of minerals that shouldn't be there, surely. Or would their presence be too small to detect?

I am sure that the dinosaur civilisation would have left worked flints behind, and these would persist for hundreds of millions, if not billions of years-
when we get out into the universe and start finding evidence of extinct aliens, no doubt flints will be the most common item found, even where there has been an advanced civilisation.

Nevertheless, our own civilisation should no doubt leave several unmistakeable relics-
an interesting phenomenon in geology is the fossil landscape, where a record of an ancient landsurface is buried with little change then revealed several million years later. Brimham Rocks is an example of this in Yorkshire.
Such a widespread civilisation as our own would be probably expected to leave a number of fossil landscapes- perhaps in a desert area, a town could be covered in loess- and alien archaeologists millions of years from now would find substantial evidence of our existence in some places.

Back