• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Did Dinosaurs Survive Until The Recent Past?

TinFinger

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
just a thought but is it possible that dinosaurs exsisted in england,or possibly wales,in our recent past
thus spawning legends of dragons and the heroic killing of said?

TinFinger said:
just a thought but is it possible that dinosaurs exsisted in england,or possibly wales,in our recent past ...
They live here:

House-of-Lords-chamber.jpg

Depends what you mean by dinosaurs and recent past... I'm thinkng huge great T-Rex type things harrassing pre-historic man (and am honestly not thinking about bimbos in skmpy fur bikinis being saved by caveman with big clubs and/or swords).

It's possible that T-Rex et al survived until relatively modern times (say, 20,000 years ago) when humans were telling stories around the camp fire... and of course, stories grow in the telling so like the fisherman who caught the biggest fish ever that somehow got away, so the hunter just missed being burnt alive by the greatest fire-breathing lizard ever.

Jane.

I have to agree, I doubt there was dinosaurs in medieval times. But some form of large lizards I could believe.
Incidentally in my geology studies we use a book called Portrait of Planet Earth. During the part on dinosaurs, it says at one point in brackets (Note, humans and dinosaurs did not live at the same time.) Hehe. I guess it is because it is a book meant for american audiences, who have had to endure creationist crap.

If I'm allowed to muddy the waters?

We are told by conventional science (via books/TV progams) that dinos died out during the Asteroid Collision (KT boundary, Cretaceous-Tertiary periods)...yes?

But the Crocodilians and some lobe fishes (I.E Coelacanth, (Mudskippers?)), small furry creatures and birds survive.... why?

OK, maybe the radiation/fallout (from the asteroid?) didn't affect the deep-sea fish, birds, reptiles, small furry creatures for some unknown reason

Could it just could be possible that somehow dinosaurs managed to survive the KT Event (Cretaceous/Tertiary Eras) up until "modern times"?.

Because it doesn't mean that dinos become extinct just because we haven't found any fossils of them post K/T boundry wise. Or have we? and they've been "covered up" (sic) by unknown persons/organisations? ;)
(Yes I know what you're thinking:- "Oh look...Nemo's going off into the realms of conspiricy" :roll: :D )

-----------------------

(On the subject of dragons)

There are legends of dragons everywhere in the world. Are they of a primeval racial memory, when we were small furry nocturnal animals?

In the East, dragons have long been seen as benevolent guardians and royality.

In the West, according to Xtianity dragons are evil, dangerous, bad.

Or was everyone making up stories (eg lying?) as "civilization/culture" moved on?

As in:- "Oh listen everyone, there's rumbling sounds above/below us, I know...let's call it a dragon!!"

(In Europe, Draco comes from a Latin word meaning "dragon". It is also the name of a constellation, in this case the constellation Draco.

"Draco" was the first lawgiver of Athens, who enforced a harsh legal code. The English adjective draconian, meaning "cruel", is inherited from him. Variations on the name "Draco" are also translated to "devil" in some biblical and other ancient texts. The name is related to "Dracula", which means son of the dragon/devil.)

So where did the original meaning of dragon come from?
And, why is the Uffington Horse area alsoi know as "Dragon Hill"?

I've always thought that the Uffington white "horse" looked more like a dragon to be honest.

Am I imagining it or is there a local legend linking St George to the site?

Pietro_Mercurios said:
TinFinger said:
just a thought but is it possible that dinosaurs exsisted in england,or possibly wales,in our recent past ...
They live here:

House-of-Lords-chamber.jpg

Look! There's a Stegasaurus!

Regarding the KT boundary, it wasn´t just dinosaurs that died out. A lot of other species did as well. But it does seem everything above a certain size disappeared. And perhaps the smaller dinosaurs then turned into birds. I actually have a piece of the KT boundary. :)

As for Eastern vs Western dragons, a lot of the time it seems to me they have little in common but the name.

Mr_Nemo said:
Cos it's a dragon, not a horse!
Someone did once tell me that "Uffa" (sp? - as in Uffington) was an old celtic word for Dragon, but I don't know the truth of that statement.

My bet is on crocodiles and alligators.
A few probably survived into the dark ages or early middle ages in this country, and they probably died out because every man who wanted to become a knight went off to hunt one.
The fact that we don't have any bones doesn't disprove this theory - most bones eventually crumble to dust. Fossilisation or preservation of bones is actually comparatively rare.

There´s a castle in Czech Republic called Karlstejn, which dates back about 600 years. The castle is rather empty, a lof of weapons and furniture was taken to a place in austria. But one thing they do have is the skull of a crocodile, the guide told me the lord of the castle bought it as he was told it was the skull of the dragon St George killed.

Dinosaurs definitely survived into Biblical times. The Hebrew word for 'dinosaur' is often mistranslated as 'donkey.'

Jesus-DinoXS.jpg

I think when you consider that there are many living reptiles and other creatures that could inspire dragon stories, then attributing these to dinosaurs isn't really necessary. However, the Ice Age would have killed off a lot of relics like this. I'd find it more plausible that such tales were imported into England.

I do however, find it interesting that although Birds survived, smaller Dinosaurs didn't (it seems to me the same as if the evolution of bats made small land-based mammals defunct). Maybe this is to do with the fact that the birds could migrate more easily with climate change? You could see isolated pockets of small dinos existing in warmer climes but I think out of all the reports of dinosaur-like creatures, there's few which resemble your compys, raptors etc...

Totally off-topic, I've often wondered if the evolution of birds could have allowed a dino/bird-flu to spread, thus killing many post-KT dinos off through sickness...

Now, what's the distinction between birds and therapod dinosaurs? could it not just be a continuation?

There is none. Birds are a clade of coelurosaur theropods, and retain all their distinctive characteristics.

As for fossils inspiring legends of dragons and other mythic creatures, there are a number of examples. But they are not of dinosaurs. Mammoth skulls were attributed to cyclops. Cave bears and wooly rhinoceros remains were seen as proof of the existence of dragons.

have read that the legend of robin hood is most likely to have been from wales
as this had mostly un managed forest making it easier to hide
just thought this unmanaged forest would be a good place to hide ,in evolutionary terms,as its secluded in olden times and in the gulf stream.

also the flag is a dragon,so it kinda points to the location in an odd way

Cave bears inspired stories of giant humans, as their femurs look similar to human ones but are much bigger.

Some People Think This Old Painting Proves Dinosaurs Walked Around With Humans

Every now and then people on the Internet, bless them, believe they have found evidence for time travel in an old painting. In a new and fun twist to the genre, people appear to believe dinosaurs lived alongside humans 500 years ago (yes, like in The Flintstones) because of a painting by "Peter·Bruce Gale" in 1562. In one typical post, Instagram user historyunreal wrote: "[It's] a painting by Peter·Bruce Gale in 1562... 300 years before we supposedly knew anything about dinosaurs."

IMG_1542.png

First off, "Peter·Bruce Gale" is not only not the artist of the painting, there's no reference to him outside of this specific conspiracy theory. The artist of this painting – The Suicide of Saulis Flemish Renaissance artist Pieter Bruegel the Elder. It depicts events described in the Bible the suicide of King Saul following his defeat by the Philistines on Mount Gilboa.

It is indeed painted in 1562, and shows some weird little dudes riding around in the background. But they aren't dinosaurs. As pointed out by many posters, it is more likely a case of "Pieter has never seen a camel" than time traveling dinosaurs.

https://www.iflscience.com/some-peo...ves-dinosaurs-walked-around-with-humans-72367

maximus otter

Some People Think This Old Painting Proves Dinosaurs Walked Around With Humans

Every now and then people on the Internet, bless them, believe they have found evidence for time travel in an old painting. In a new and fun twist to the genre, people appear to believe dinosaurs lived alongside humans 500 years ago (yes, like in The Flintstones) because of a painting by "Peter·Bruce Gale" in 1562. In one typical post, Instagram user historyunreal wrote: "[It's] a painting by Peter·Bruce Gale in 1562... 300 years before we supposedly knew anything about dinosaurs."

View attachment 72804

First off, "Peter·Bruce Gale" is not only not the artist of the painting, there's no reference to him outside of this specific conspiracy theory. The artist of this painting – The Suicide of Saulis Flemish Renaissance artist Pieter Bruegel the Elder. It depicts events described in the Bible the suicide of King Saul following his defeat by the Philistines on Mount Gilboa.

It is indeed painted in 1562, and shows some weird little dudes riding around in the background. But they aren't dinosaurs. As pointed out by many posters, it is more likely a case of "Pieter has never seen a camel" than time traveling dinosaurs.

https://www.iflscience.com/some-peo...ves-dinosaurs-walked-around-with-humans-72367

maximus otter
It's almost as though people don't know what a badly-drawn camel looks like! I'd refer them to any picture I've ever drawn since the age of three...

They do looks like camels to me.

(Of course, they did not have camels in the ME in Biblical times, so he would not have seen any in person...)

I look at things like alligators and Komodo Dragons and wonder - are these hold-outs from the dinosaur era that have been hiding in plain sight all this time and which we dismiss as just big reptiles?

Kind of. Alligators have been around since the age of dinosaurs.

I look at things like alligators and Komodo Dragons and wonder - are these hold-outs from the dinosaur era that have been hiding in plain sight all this time and which we dismiss as just big reptiles?
Good grief! It's like phylogenetics isn't a thing. Every living thing that exists today is a hold-out from the 'dinosaur era', and from the first single celled organisms as far as we can tell. Komodo dragons are monitor lizards, and they have a traceable lineage through the fossil record. Alligators, and other crocadilians are pseodosuchians, and they've had at least two periods of massive diversity, again traceable in the fossil record. They're archosaurs, closely related to pterosaurs and dinosaurs, but they're not dinosaurs. Birds are dinosaurs, which is why crocadilians and birds are each others closest extant relatives, because they share a more recent ancestor than they have with any other critter. Komodo dragons and alligators are not dinosaurs pretending to be something else. Birds, on the other hand, are theropod dinosaurs pretending to be something you'd actually want as a pet when really they're plotting the overthrow of mammal kind and the return of the reptilian hierarchy.

(Watch the corvids. They're out to get us.)

Back