• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dirty Monkeys, Cross-Breeding Primates

Like human cloning, I would be amazed if it hadn’t at least been attempted by someone somewhere.

Like human cloning, I would be amazed if it hadn’t at least been attempted by someone somewhere.

Plenty of speculation that AIDS was the result of a dalliance between a drunken Haitian farmer and a particularly alluring and coquettish simian.

Lion/tiger hybrids are bigger than either parent. Is that common for hybrids?

AIDS almost certainly spread to the USA from Haiti, where it had incubated and proliferated enormously amongst the Port au Prince prostitutes, but it most likely originated on the African mainland over a century ago (some 40 years or so before the CIA was founded). The following timeline seems plausible and obviously the bushmeat / "cut hunter" scenario is somewhat more palatable than the cross-breeding one.

https://nypost.com/2015/02/22/how-the-aids-epidemic-really-began/

Lion/tiger hybrids are bigger than either parent. Is that common for hybrids?

Yeah. There’s a specific term for it which I can’t recall right now. I want to say hybrid vigour but I think it’s something beyond that.

Plenty of speculation that AIDS was the result of a dalliance between a drunken Haitian farmer and a particularly alluring and coquettish simian.

Thought it was pretty well established that it was spread through bushmeat and had probably existed at a low level in local populations in Africa for a long time. I seem to recall that the possible patient zero in terms of infecting the US ha£ been identified as a sailor in the 50s? But it’s possible I’m confused on that.

Air steward. Yes, HIV seems common among chimpanzees.

Mystery 'hybrid' monkey leaves baffled scientists in 'awe' after jungle spot

A mystery "hybrid" monkey has baffled scientists, after the apparent cross breed was spotted in a Borneo rainforest.

1_Lutung.jpg

The monkey, spotted near the Kinabatangan River in Malaysian Borneo, appears to be a combination of two different species that are actually competing for forest space, a new study states.

The "mystery monkey" was initially spotted in 2017 and pictures began circulating online.

...they analysed the 2017 images and newer ones from 2020, that show the then-juvenile has developed into a fully formed female and even has a child of her own.

Researchers concluded that the monkey is likely the offspring of two distantly related species that share the same habitat; a proboscis monkey (Nasalis larvatus) and a silvery langur (Trachypithecus cristatus).

Scientists are so interested because even in the rare case that inter-breeding between the same species takes place, it doesn't usually produce viable offspring.

Furthermore, interbreeding species are typically similar and belong to the same evolutionary group, or genus, which proboscis monkeys and silvery langurs do not.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/world-news/mystery-hybrid-monkey-leaves-scientists-26881978

maximus otter

Back