• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Disappearing Couple

MartyMcFly

Fresh Blood
This is my only real Fortean experience, and I haven't really discussed it much before except with my partner.

About 8 or 9 years ago my partner and I were in a small coastal village in Dumfries and Galloway. It's a place we are familiar with as have family in the area, so know it quite well.

We were stood at the sea front which is separated from the nearest buildings in the village by a field perhaps 50m square which has no real features, being flat and unremarkable. What I mean is there is nothing between the shoreline apart from a grassed field, and at the other side of the field are some houses/businesses with their back gardens/walls backing onto the field. I hope this makes sense! The grass in the field is also short, likely mown on a regular basis, so isn't meadow-like.

My partner and I both saw an elderly couple walking across this field towards us, perhaps halfway across. They were probably aged 60 plus (not to offend anyone, I use elderly to give some context), and as such were moving fairly slowly. Nothing very noteworthy so far, but when I turned away briefly and turned back, the couple had gone. My partner also noticed this was strange, as there was no where they could have obviously disappeared to, and in such a short period of time. The field is flat and would perhaps have taken a minute or so to walk to a location where you could no longer be seen. The period between seeing the couple and not was less than that time, and regardless, it seemed odd that the couple would do an about turn when they were heading directly towards us. Not impossible, but unlikely, unless my face really is that offensive!

When discussing with my partner, they couple did not seem recognisable to either of us. We were the only people at the location besides them, the weather was not great as I recall, and its a very quiet small village too, so this was not unusual.

Anyway, I hope this is of interest to some on here and that it makes sense! I've never been able to explain it and there may be a perfectly rational explanation, but odd nonetheless.

I'm from D&G :) if you feel able to say which village, I'd really enjoy it!

I've had this sort of thing happen to me, so I know how disconcerting it can be.

The problem with such incidents is that often the person or persons who mysteriously aren't there anymore haven't been witnessed continuously between the time they were first observed and the time they were missed.

There are some classic paranormal tales of such directly witnessed vanishing acts, but the most famous ones have turned out to be spins on known fictional tales - e.g., those discussed in:

People Witnessed Spontaneously Vanishing
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/people-witnessed-spontaneously-vanishing.67252/

Man Vanishes While Crossing A Field: Oft-Recycled Tale
https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...ile-crossing-a-field-oft-recycled-tale.65926/

Another problem in cases such as yours is that if one looks away to admire scenery and / or interact with a companion it's difficult to keep track of how much time elapses before returning one's gaze to a previously spotted person.

I'm not necessarily disputing your account of the incident - I'm only pointing out some of the difficulties that can arise in faithfully remembering and / or relating such incidents so that they can only be explained by something extraordinary.

It happened to me a couple of times. I posted about it somewhere here.

Cycling along a shared path up ahead there was a woman about 20 meters ahead of me, (I went back and measured it with my bike comp), tall, slim probably, in her 60's or more. Dressed in a grey top and darker gray trousers. I had slowed down to cycle around a couple that seemed to be arguing and pointing out to sea so I took my eyes off the older woman. When I had passed the couple I looked up and the grey lady was gone.

On one side of the path, there was a metal railed fence which was at chest height which I'm guessing it was that tall due to the drop into bushes that the fence was guarding. On the other side was a dual carriageway with cars bombing down it each way. This was in broad daylight.

There is absolutely no place she could have gone in the seconds I had taken my eyes off of her. Unless she vaulted the fence and survived the drop. There was nowhere to go across the dual carriageway and no break in the traffic.

The second time was after a football match, I was at a deserted train station booking hall. In front of me, literally a few feet away, another old lady pulling one of those old fashioned personal shopping trolleys behind her, the sort that was common on high streets in the 60's and '70s. I remember thinking "you don't see many of those these days..." glanced up at the clock and immediately back towards the little old lady who had in the one second I had glanced up had vanished.

We were the only people in the booking hall - again no place she could have gotten to in the second or two I'd taken my eyes off of her.

Clear as day - completely mundane apart from the old shopping trolley. The lady was wearing a long dark coat that went below her knees and tights underneath.

edit: both were facing away from me if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Ooh, I love these!

Although never underestimate the speed of an old lady. I'm nearly 60 and I run every day, sometimes quite fast. I suspect that cars containing passing tourists sometimes think I have 'vanished into thin air' when I'm out running with my dog. I haven't, I've just turned onto a bridleway across a field, but if you were driving past quite quickly and didn't know the area, you wouldn't know the bridleway was there and I would be just there - and then gone in the time it took you to look away and back.

Had a similar experience while out in the local park with my dog. Two youths, probably late teens to early twenties were walking across a football field. Me and the dog were on a man made hill at the edge of the field. I could even hear the two lads talking and laughing. Then the dog did something to distract me and I looked away. When I looked back, the two lads had vanished and silence reigned. If they had run, then they must have covered forty or fifty yards in a couple of seconds.

Back