• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Disappearing Stars

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Scientists have gone back and compared old sky surveys with new ones and have found around 100 stars are no longer visible. They don't know why or how yet.

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-look...ores-of-stars-that-have-mysteriously-vanished

"By comparing star catalogues dating back to the 1950s with more recent datasets, researchers with the Vanishing & Appearing Sources during a Century of Observations project have identified around 100 bright dots that seem to have vanished without a trace. "

Just curious.

Are you posting on UFOcasebook ?

I ask because exactly the same item worded very similar has recently appeared there.

Just curious.

Are you posting on UFOcasebook ?

I ask because exactly the same item worded very similar has recently appeared there.
Nope. Only heard of that site here, never been there.

Betelgeuse is getting dimmer. Some scientists think it might be about to go nova.

Scientists have gone back and compared old sky surveys with new ones and have found around 100 stars are no longer visible. They don't know why or how yet.

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-look...ores-of-stars-that-have-mysteriously-vanished

"By comparing star catalogues dating back to the 1950s with more recent datasets, researchers with the Vanishing & Appearing Sources during a Century of Observations project have identified around 100 bright dots that seem to have vanished without a trace. "

Batteries ran out ;)

But seriously that's quite strange though - stars do die off / explode or whatever but the article says that the mysteriously-disappearing ones vanished too quickly for that.

Or... duh-duh-dummmm.. has something moved in front of them perhaps? Thus blocking their light?

Or did go nova thousands of years ago? Let's hope Ford Prefect isn't back home to visit.

Well quite, because whatever "is happening" to Betelgeuse must technically already have happened, we just haven't seen it yet.

I had to google the Ford Prefect bit though. Thought it was a car.

Back