• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Discussion Of Spam & Spammers

..which we used to do. However, one of the primary conditions of keeping the forum going when the main site went south was that we allow anyone to sign up without having to wait for pre-approval. So we are where we are.

..which we used to do. However, one of the primary conditions of keeping the forum going when the main site went south was that we allow anyone to sign up without having to wait for pre-approval. So we are where we are.

Oh, that explains a lot :(

Right, I'm off on holiday for a while, so if you all end up swimming in processed pink meat, you'll know who to blame.
MercuryCrest knows where the heavy weapons are stored.

Indeed, sir. I will use them all as I see fit. All else, feel free to PM me if you find spam (as I can't get the notifications). I'll stand my guard over these-here forums.

Good journey!

Indeed, sir. I will use them all as I see fit. All else, feel free to PM me if you find spam (as I can't get the notifications). I'll stand my guard over these-here forums.

Good journey!

You need to corner them and then smoke "em" out!

Begone, intriguing and apposite spam! You have no place here (except, um, superficially).

I was enticed into searching for what looked like the punctuated main strand from this morning's now-deleted "Evil Spirits" spam-drop by edited extract....The evil spirits did not produce another move till about 8 weeks ago at my new home (by now I recognized that shifting does not eliminate...

Don't bother, it's a weird, circular and pointless exercise.[/I]

Mr IELTS TEFL spam man was back across multiple fora again. His contributions lasted all of three minutes. If it isn't a bot its a very optimistic chap we keep seeing.

IELTS/TOEFL spam man is back again!

I may have been the first to report him. He wasn't in New Posts, but about a minute later he was - ZAP!

I love it when I bust them seconds after registering, before they even get a chance to post anything.

I know that in reality it's most likely to be the work of automated bots, but in my mind's eye there's a spammer yelling "How did they f****** know?" while hitting his keyboard in frustration.

I'm imagining a real life Ielts Tefl who only wants to discuss the possible connections between the use of growth hormone steroid supplements and paranormal activity.

Nah, you're right. F@*k him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just reported one that's in Spanish(?)!

What is considered spam on this site? I have included my site in my sig, but am a real person. Do advise. And happy to be a part of the community!

Fear not, linking to your own site is fine - especially given that you don't appear to be selling anything and are posting on the board and it is of Fortean relevance. Most of the things we delete are gibberish-posts full of links to dubious products.

Sometimes when I try to report spam, I get an error message like 'You must wait at least 30 seconds before performing this action'.

Woss all that about then?

I have no idea. If you do wait 30 seconds, does it then allow you to report it?

I have no idea. If you do wait 30 seconds, does it then allow you to report it?
Eventually.

But the irony is, I got the same error message when I tried to make my post above, which hasn't happened before! Either my computer's cracking up (Win 10?) or I am!

Well, the flood control is set to 30 seconds, but that's no reason to prevent you from posting as you don't post that fast - the only thing I can think of vis-a-vis the spam report is if one of us is actively killing it at the same time.

Anyway, I've put additional anti-spam measures in now - see if that makes a difference.

I've sent a message to Stu about it. It's not even real spam, as far as I can tell.

Back