• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Disturbing Cartooons

Snook25

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
The other day i watched this animated film which i had seen as a child called "The Flight of Dragons" where a guy called Peter gets summoned to a magical land and accidentally gets changed into a dragon. Anyway there was this evil wizard bad guy on it who really freaked me out, and when i saw it the other day it really genuinely scared me again, like i was regressing back to childhood or something.

Another 80's classic which no one ever seems to remember is Ulysese (spelt wrong) 31. It was about this guy who looked just like my dad who was on this big spaceship with his son Talemacus and this red robot. One day they angered the gods of Hades or something and they sent all the other crew into a kind of stasis until Ulysese could find his way back to Earth. The crew were just suspended in this room all together hanging there - asleep but looking dead, it really freaks me out.

Sorry i am not very good at explaining these kinds of things.
Does anyone else have a cartoon which really disturbs them?

:eek: :eek:

Is that the one with all the Bin Laden cartoons?

Flower

hey, i remember those! i've not seen Flight of Dragons for sooooo long now!

Digimon bothers me...as did the New Schmoo (?)

There were plenty of scary cartoons when I was but a bairn;-

Remember Ludwig? A weird egg on legs that played the violin?

Ivor the Engine with it's dragons?

The evil Rhubarb the pink dog?

Crystal tips and Alistair- what a fearsome haircut!

It's not so much the cartoons, as the clay-mation and stop/start animated puppets that still have the power to make me check under the bed!

ooooooohhhhh i forgot about Ludwig the Egg!! that was freaky..lol!

Any of the Dr. Seuss animated tales un-nerve me, not sure why......

Also scary, but in an enjoyable way, are the early Fleischer cartoons with Betty Boop etc.....something about the rubber arms and legs and the way the voices are not lip-synced.......

Ooh! Ooh! Flight of dragons! Didn't it used to be called The Dragon and the George, or something? Or am I losing it? I'm sure I glimpsed those words in the credits a couple of weeks ago, but I couldn't see what it said.
My local video shop has one solitary video of Ulysese (sic) 31. No idea why.
Hyde and Go Tweet, a Sylvester and Tweetie cartoon, always used to scare the living poo-poo out of me. Poor Sylvester, trapped, with that big, evil bird coming to get him...it reminded me of very weird nightmare I had when I was very young.

Dragon and The George

I've got these books, by Gordon R. Dickson. Three books, anyway - The Dragon and The George, The Dragon Knight and The Dragon on The Border. A fairly o-k read. Didn't know they were made into a film. Basic story is American chap gets sent back in time to a parallel universe and winds up in the body of a Dragon. He has to save his girlfriend. Knights are called Georges by the dragons. Good triumphs over Evil. Chap stays in alternate reality Dark Ages and becomes a knight. The Black Prince is in one of the books, I seem to remember. Also involves a knight who has silkie blood in him and turns into a seal.

Casper said:
Have u seen the magic roundabout now that is freaky lol

Dougal's cute, but Zebedee (boing!) is the Anti-christ, like yeah maaan! :devil:

Worse than these are The Moomins, and those surreal cartoons depicting Russian folk tales like Baba Yaga! Done in the stylee of the Metz advert...

In the 70s/80s us Irish kids got weirded out occasionally by "Cartoon Time", a ten minute slot following the main evening news. Most times it was standard Tom & Jerry fare, but now and again it woul feature some eastern bloc animation which comprised something like a de stijl artwork having a conversation with itself in a slavic tongue (no subtitles!).

Chorlton and the wheelies fecked with my head, Ulyses was pretty terrifying too. Personally, the hooded claw from Perils of Penelope Pitstop used to scare me most.
Friend of mine who grew up in Japan told me bout a cartoon about a boy who had an invisible flying dog and got into loads of adventures. The show was very popular and went on for years but was cancelled, so the last scene was the hero sat in an asylum cell rocking backwards and forwards talking to his invisible friend, the entire series had been a delusion.
Anyone seen a Betty Boop cartoon called "Old Man of The Mountain"?

Will o the wisp.

That's all I'm going to say.

Spoked Gumbomon

Here's one I've thought of though I doubt anyone can recognise it from my vague description....

It was in about 1979 when I was 4 or 5 I watched a programme at a friends house that still haunts me to this day !!

I can't really remember if there was any other plot, but it featured various people and thier kids going about thier daily business occaisionally punctuated by the appearance of a 'feather duster' like creature which meant that whoever had seen it was doomed for enternity (or something similar) - it would pop up from holes in the floor boards, through the gaps in doors that were ajar and appear at the ends of beds of unsuspecting children... There was also a card board box-robot type thing that ate everyone at the end....

For years this led to the 'small me' being afraid of holes in the floor boards, hiding my head under the blankets at all times while in bed and obsessively closing doors all the time - I think my parents must have been bemused !!

Does anyone else remember this ??

Speaking of The Magic Roudabout

Does anyone remember the feature film version called Dougal and the Blue Cat?
Now that really scared me as a kid. There was one scene where Dougal was being tempted by a room full of sugar lumps, but couldn't eat any of them because, if he did, the Blue Cat would get him.
Filled my little kiddie mind with all sorts of nameless dread for some reason.

Re : Dougal & the blue cat

That's funny.... I've got that very thing on Vinyl and I used to listen to it over and over again when I was younger - brilliant and very scary !

The blue cat's name was Buxton wasn't it ?? and he had an evil mission to turn every thing blue.... Don't worry though good truimphed over evil in the end... !!

Haarp, could it have been Sapphire and Steel, with Joanna Lumley and David McCallum? This series scared the bejazus out of me. I vividly remember the one where this horrible black nothingness would come out of the wall whenever anyone sang 'Ring o' Ring o' Roses', and the one with the first world war soldier haunting the railway siding, and the one with the creature with no face that lived in photographs and had lots of ghostly children.

Freaked me out, I can tell you.

Yes, Buxton. I'm sure you are right on that. Thank you!
Everyone else I mention it to looks at me like I'm mad (Ok, they do that for a lot of reasons, but particularly in this case :p )

Re Sapphire and Steel

Helen said:
Haarp, could it have been Sapphire and Steel, with Joanna Lumley and David McCallum? This series scared the bejazus out of me. I vividly remember the one where this horrible black nothingness would come out of the wall whenever anyone sang 'Ring o' Ring o' Roses', and the one with the first world war soldier haunting the railway siding, and the one with the creature with no face that lived in photographs and had lots of ghostly children.

Freaked me out, I can tell you.

Arrrrgh, Sapphire and Steel!!

I couldn't even watch a single episode all the way through.

To this day I dream about a vortex pursuing me into oblivion:eek!!!!:

Thanks David & Helen !

Your descriptions seem scary enough for that to have been the programme I had in mind ! I'm sure they made kid's TV much scarier then that they do now - perhaps that's why were all Forteans ??

I worry about today's youngsters though if all they have to go by is the Teletubbies & Tweenies !!

HAARP said:
Thanks David & Helen !

Your descriptions seem scary enough for that to have been the programme I had in mind ! I'm sure they made kid's TV much scarier then that they do now - perhaps that's why were all Forteans ??

I worry about today's youngsters though if all they have to go by is the Teletubbies & Tweenies !!

I wouldn't worry HAARP, just check out "Cow and Chicken" and the terrifying "Angela Anaconda"...

That's funny !! I suppose you're right we shouldn't worry too much ...

I've been thinking about these sort of things rather a lot lately as I'm expecting a baby in 8 weeks time... and hope he or she won't be condemmed to a childhood of boring tv !

Congratulations! I hope all goes well for you:D

Boring tv? Nah!- We're all a product of our times!

Don't let them watch "Itchy and Scratchy" or the Future is down the pan!! ;)

There's a good site called TV Cream which lists every old prog you've ever heard of, with reviews. The Thunderbirds cartoon series reviews are among the funniest things I've ever read!

'Sapphire and Steel' features extensively as possibly the scariest kids' prog ever.

Admittedly not cartoons but some of the most unsettling animation has to be by the Brothers Quay. Try watching Street of Crocodiles or The Comb on your own in the dark.

Was Sapphire and Steel a kids TV programme? I seem to remember it being on quite late.

I vaguely remember Sapphire & Steel - it was supposed to be an adult prog, a very poor rip-off of the Avengers with (I think) David McCallum & Joanna Lumley. I don't remember being frightened by it, though. In fact, I remember almost nothing of it at all.

Sapphire & Steel, hmm, I remember babysitting my then 8 year old niece, a sensible girl who nonetheless had a screaming fit at the mere thought of S & S being on the TV even if she wasn't in the room to see it!

As I wasn't a fan I was happy to let her sit through the entire night's TV to prove I wasn't sneakily watching it, soft old Aunty that I was.

A cartoon which I only saw once, but left a big impression, was called 'The Skeleton Dance' and featured, strangely enough, skeletons dancing. The skeletons popped up out of graves and, er, danced, mainly sideways, swinging their bony arms and legs most attractively.
My brother and I acted out this cartoon, as little kids do, for many weeks and we still talk of it.

When I was very young, the Mussorgsky sequence in Fantasia for Night on Bald Mountain scared me silly. I've always loved the music, so I would listen to it with my eyes closed. Mind you, it's still scary, just for the music!

Back