• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Do Cohabiting Women Synchronise Their Menstruation? ..

I have heard it said they synch with the dominant female.

Like I said before, I've not synched with anyone, whether on the pill or not. Mind you, I'm highly erratic when not on the pill, so maybe that had something to do with it.

I heard about some research done into this. It centred on lesbian couples as they not only live together but sleep togther also. Most of them we synced.
IIRC they narrowed in down to pheramones in sweat. They get two women who did not meet and made them smell each others sweat for 3 months or so (insert joke here). They synced.

Leaferne said:
Pheremones, from what I've read (it's called menstrual synchrony, fwiw). I wonder if there's any significance as to who adapts to whom? Does one woman set the lead, so to speak, or do they all change to some sort of happy medium?

Or do they have to have some more emotional or family-type connection? Seeing as it doesn't seem to work for everyone. I'd say I'm quite emotionally tied to the women I seem to be matching pace for pace, but maybe I only know because we're close enough to talk about that kind of thing. If we weren't, I'd be in blissful ignorance, but we'd still be synching.

I'd guess, personally, happy medium. If you'll excuse the Too Much Information (but hey, who knows me here, so I don't care), I was early this month in a "you've got to be kidding me!" kind of way. Got to work, bitching about being on the early bleed, and discovered that both my female colleagues were too. I was wondering whether the earliness might have been a synchronisation thing, but now Stonedoggy has mention the MALE thing, I think that might actually be the source of my earliness. F'n men leaking f'n testosterone f'n everywhere. ;)

Helen said:
I have heard it said they synch with the dominant female.

In that case, I'm so not the alpha female in our pack. But hey, I'm comfortable with that ^_^

I've found that I have especially active hormones. I can't take the pill, as my own hormones quickly take over and rubbish the pattern, and my PMT is verging on psychotic. I've found that other women who spend a long time with me start to experience longer cycles, while my own seem uneffected at 32-34 days.
Considering my current state, I'm not going to be having to worry about that sort of thing for a while!

hmmm you cause women to have longer cycles? *extends hand and offers to be new best friend*

my cycles are very long and irregular, i estimate something like 50 days. i'm on the pill at the moment for menstrual cramps, and my period doesn't usually start until the day before i have to start me new pack.

Mine's a bit like that, Fluffle. It starts about 6 days after the last tablet. :rolleyes:

When not on the pill, my periods go from 2-6 weeks, lasting 10-14 days. And I get knife-wielding PMT. Believe me, I'm much nicer sterile!!

I wasn't sure if this belongs in notes and queries or urban legends so mods please move this if needed ... I haven't got any personal pervy interest in this (honestly) but have heard this a few times through life and was wondering if it was true ... pretty fascinating if it is? .. just coincidence or pheromones ?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... -together/

As a Lesbian living in the shadow of a 7/7 bomber...

Seriously.

As a lesbian, I've lived with other women and my cycle has shifted but never exactly matched my partners. Maybe a couple of days out of sync only though.

I've heard this urban rumour relating to Nuns though.

I lived with three girls at Uni 8) and they swore blind that it was indeed true.

I was brought up with two sisters and they, I and my mother never found this to be the case. I also raised two healthy daughters with no discernible synchronisation. Nobody I know has ever remarked that this has happened to them either.

It makes no sense anyway, in evolutionary terms. It'd be more useful to have your cycle different from everyone else's. That way, you could make the most of your fertility.

This theory has always looked suspiciously like one of those 'women are ruled by their irrational hormones and there's no getting away from it' ideas to me. :lol:

Purely anecdotal, I know, but my eldest son has had a couple of gfs that have lived with us, and we did synchronise.

It took three or four months, from what I can tell (I haven't actually discussed this with either of the gfs, but I have noticed the evidence of used tampon wrappers in the bin!).

Cultjunky said:
I've lived with other women and my cycle has shifted but never exactly matched my partners. Maybe a couple of days out of sync only though.

This would be much more useful to the amorous male, reproductively speaking. Your housemate is on heat first, and then when she goes off the boil you're hot to trot.

So to speak...if you weren't lesbians... if you didn't mind such unconventional mating behaviour.

I always put down the shifting cycle down to ovulation hormone production. As a woman is most fertile when ovulating, she is producing more 'come hither' hormones to attract potential mates. If fertilisation repeatedly doesn't occur, ovulation shifts to try to attract potential mates at a different time. Well, that's my theory anyway.

Cultjunky said:
As a Lesbian living in the shadow of a 7/7 bomber...

Seriously.

As a lesbian, I've lived with other women and my cycle has shifted but never exactly matched my partners. Maybe a couple of days out of sync only though.

I've heard this urban rumour relating to Nuns though.

I found an online article titled "Women who go together flow together" .... made me chuckle anyway ..

The first time I heard about this was from a new age traveller called Fiona who swore it was true .... we were at an illegal rave though so take that as you find it .. what was the Nuns story? ..

There's some interesting points made in the talkbacks in this link:

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/men ... -together/

Swifty said:
what was the Nuns story? ..

Just something that went around at school about a school that employed Nuns close to where I lived.

At least here we can talk about it, unlike in some parts of the world:
100 Women 2014: The taboo of menstruating in India
By Rupa Jha, BBC Hindi

"I will never let my daughter suffer the way I do when I have my period. My family treats me like an untouchable.
"I'm not allowed into the kitchen, I can't enter the temple, I can't sit with others."

There's a sense of determination in 32-year-old Manju Baluni's voice. I met her in a remote village in Uttarakhand, a hilly state in the north of India.
In India, there is generally a silence around the issue of women's health - especially around menstruation.

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-29727875

That's a good point, Rynner.

There's a current advert on TV for Tampax or something using old advisory footage which tells girls to stay close to home and not exert themselves. Rings a bell with me, I think I was shown something similar in the early 70s!

I can certainly remember when people didn't discuss these things. Sanpro products were not advertised on TV and superstition was rife. Girls didn't wash their hair or bake cakes* at that time.

These days, the most embarrassing thing is being heard singing 'Oooh! Bodyform! Bodyformed for YOU!' :oops:

*Cakes and bread wouldn't rise, y'see.
:roll:

escargot1 said:
.....These days, the most embarrassing thing is being heard singing 'Oooh! Bodyform! Bodyformed for YOU!' :oops: ......

What! ... that was a CLASS song! ... you missed the "Shaped for comfort, Shaped for confidence, Shaped for youoooo" bit ... in the 80's adverts, 'coming on' meant also getting a sudden urge to go roller blading, wind surfing, jumping out of aeroplanes, drinking champagne at flash parties etc etc whilst grinning like The Joker ... :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asXw2a4k ... mqtGUCE5kI

In the Christian Bible there's a bit about avoiding menstruating women, too.

The most ridiculous PMT product you're ever likely to see (or drink)
A new PMT- busting tea claims to help women avoid being slaves to their hormones every month. Thanks goodness a man has finally come to our rescue, says Claire Cohen
12:34PM GMT 29 Oct 2014

It’s that time of the month. Come on ladies! Stereotypes at the ready – quick march!
Hot water bottle? Check. Chocolate? Check. Endless cups of tea? Hell yes.
Except, that is, if you’re offering us a cup of PMTea. :D

That’s right, meet the new hot drink aimed at making our periods less stressful.
It’s guaranteed to make you boil over.

According to the box, each bag combats mood swings, weeping and raging hormones.
The irony being that if you weren’t displaying any of these before you saw this product, you certainly would be after.

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens ... drink.html

As a tea-obsessed menopausal woman I am upset to learn that I have no plausible reason to try this product. :(

Well, there's tea, and then there's Mary Jane Tea.

Obviously, I wouldn't know anything about that. ;)

As a bisexual white male with a hidden disability living in the shadow of 9/11 I find the above commentator's views rather obnoxious.

I share your profile as above and I also share your outrage.

ramonmercado said:
As a bisexual white male with a hidden disability living in the shadow of 9/11 I find the above commentator's views rather obnoxious.

Surely you're a bisexual rectangular white box with a etc....?

CarlosTheDJ said:
ramonmercado said:

The Whiteness From Space will engulf and devour The Earth.

ramonmercado said:
CarlosTheDJ said:
ramonmercado said:

Yes...what has happened to your avatar?
And Carlos's?

And what's this 'living in the shadow of 9/11' nonsense?

Mythopoeika said:
ramonmercado said:
CarlosTheDJ said:
ramonmercado said:

Yes...what has happened to your avatar?
And Carlos's?

And what's this 'living in the shadow of 9/11' nonsense?

General Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO has finally ascended to Valhalla.

Back