• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Do Forteans Share A Myers-Briggs 'Type'?

Which Is Your Myers-Briggs Category (As Actually Tested)?

• ISTJ

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • ISFJ

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • INFJ

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • INTJ

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • ISTP

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • ISFP

• INFP

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • INTP

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • ESTP

• ESFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENFP

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • ENTP

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • ESTJ

• ESFJ

• ENFJ

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • ENTJ

• Total voters
Today I took a free test online and it gave me INTJ, but I have taken this test years ago and got EN something. I agree with some people about personality tests, they are psuedo science at best.

Last edited:
I had a look at that but it seems a bit complicated for this time of night. Also it asked me if I wanted to 'take the instrument', which seemed rather forward ;) But I'm keen to have a go sometime, thanks. I would be interested to see the results.
There are other websites that give version of the test for free, just search Meyers Briggs test

This is a bad sign.
What will companies do when they find out that most of the ones they rejected have really high intelligence?
You mean because the intelligent ones did not take the test or use it to determine anything?

Advocate
INFJ-T (for what it's worth).

But that was doing the test based on my feelings this very minute.
May feel differently tomorrow.

Advocate
INFJ-T (for what it's worth).

But that was doing the test based on my feelings this very minute.
May feel differently tomorrow.
I just took the test (I must have confused it as it didn't present an answer) and this was my problem. Most of my answers would have been "maybe, don't know, it depends or don't understand the question".

Today I took a free test online and it gave me INTJ, but I have taken this test years ago and got EN something. I agree with some people about personality tests, they are psuedo science at best.
Pseudoscience. I don't have access to the university papers in Michigan and I don't know if any more are in print but what I do find is rarely encouraging. Apparently Briggs thought that personalities are set from birth and may have included some material influenced by eugenic ideas. I know the system gets flak for having no real uniform manner of administration or reliable results, and for being intended for people of an "acceptably high IQ".
The one quote I can find from Katherine Briggs: "Multitudes of people are utterly worthless or worse than worthless, having no just claims whatsoever upon the civilization which they burden with the dead weight of their existence. This is a sound, incontrovertible judgment, which has to be shunned, because our feeling for the ‘underprivileged’ is so strong that such truths can hardly be mentioned." I mean, that doesn't seem like a perspective that informs a reliable ontology.

"Multitudes of people are utterly worthless or worse than worthless, having no just claims whatsoever upon the civilization which they burden with the dead weight of their existence. This is a sound, incontrovertible judgment, which has to be shunned, because our feeling for the ‘underprivileged’ is so strong that such truths can hardly be mentioned."
Well, there seem to be plenty of jobs in admin.

Pseudoscience. I don't have access to the university papers in Michigan and I don't know if any more are in print but what I do find is rarely encouraging. Apparently Briggs thought that personalities are set from birth and may have included some material influenced by eugenic ideas. I know the system gets flak for having no real uniform manner of administration or reliable results, and for being intended for people of an "acceptably high IQ".
The one quote I can find from Katherine Briggs: "Multitudes of people are utterly worthless or worse than worthless, having no just claims whatsoever upon the civilization which they burden with the dead weight of their existence. This is a sound, incontrovertible judgment, which has to be shunned, because our feeling for the ‘underprivileged’ is so strong that such truths can hardly be mentioned." I mean, that doesn't seem like a perspective that informs a reliable ontology.
Because I am an INTJ, of course I must quibble with what you have written. :) MBTI has good internal reliability and stability of type over time - decades. Although Briggs' nasty judgement of some sorts of people is horrendous by our standards, it does not necessarily detract from her work, any more than the usefulness of Nazi rocketry in the post-war American space program.

The persistence of the types individuals have chosen over decades indicate that Myers or maybe Briggs or both had a reliable enough ontology. I am in the camp which thinks the evidence specific to the item is more important than judging the item based on the ideology of the designer. Criticizing or judging the designer drifts to ad hominem reasoning.

Here is a pretty good contextual evaluation of the MBTI over several decades:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/my-brothers-keeper/202002/in-defense-the-myers-briggs

Back in the day (or is it back in the decade?), I decided to really study personality and intelligence tests, because I thought the combination of these tests and their availability over the internet would change hiring practices in the US. I preached like a Cassandra to my fellow graduate students. Everything I warned them about came to pass, and of course nobody paid attention to me. Sigh. My understanding of MBTI, MMPI, and the like were very useful to me over my career.

(I have sat with at least two different Ph.D.s as they took an online "aptitude" test a prospective employer was insisting on. In both cases, with the 2 different tests, they failed the aptitude test and were hired anyway. They failed in calculus and physics for a job having nothing to do with calculus and physics. The tests, I think, were designed such that nobody could pass them. The employer hired the persons anyway and kept the test result in their permanent personnel files. If the employee became problematic later on, the employer could easily dismiss the person, stating - quite honestly - that he failed the test and was hired anyway as the employer took a chance on them. It just didn't work out. Crafty fuckers.)

The employer hired the persons anyway and kept the test result in their permanent personnel files. If the employee became problematic later on, the employer could easily dismiss the person, stating - quite honestly - that he failed the test and was hired anyway as the employer took a chance on them. It just didn't work out. Crafty fuckers.
Well, that's a nasty and sneaky way of employing somebody.

I must admit that I have just taken the test but balked at the £16 they wanted to give me my result. I was very aware that some of my responses are based on the “here and now” and I’m having a few significant health issues and am feeling sorry for myself; this would have had an effect on my answers.
I also know that some of my responses are very different from what I would have registered some years ago, both in a work and personal environment, so I believe the results you get at one point would differ greatly from another.
I have previously taken these, or something similar, at work along with everyone else in the department; I believe to review the potential for promotion amongst the team. At the time I was in a senior position based on performance but my test showed I shouldn’t have been there, others were indicated as leaders but, quite frankly, didn’t know their arse from their elbow and none of their employment survived the first lockdown (it proved a gift horse for the construction industry in removing dead wood).

I do believe that I would never respond the same to these tests if taken on a regular basis and they are all hocus pocus.

Your Personality Type is: INFP​

Introverted iNtuitive Feeling Perceiving​

22.7% of the people who have voted on this Forum are this type.
According to a google search I just did linked to a website called truity.com, this type makes up just 4% of the general population.

We are classed as "Idealists"/ "Mediators"

Possible Career Paths for the INFP:
Writers
Counselors / Social Workers
Teachers / Professors
Psychologists
Psychiatrists
Musicians
Clergy / Religious Workers

Although they may seem quiet or unassuming, Mediators (INFPs) have vibrant, passionate inner lives. Creative and imaginative, they happily lose themselves in daydreams, inventing all sorts of stories and conversations in their minds. These personalities are known for their sensitivity – Mediators can have profound emotional responses to music, art, nature, and the people around them.

Idealistic and empathetic, Mediators long for deep, soulful relationships, and they feel called to help others. But because this personality type makes up such a small portion of the population, Mediators may sometimes feel lonely or invisible, adrift in a world that doesn’t seem to appreciate the traits that make them unique.

This link about friendships is very accurate for me:

https://www.16personalities.com/infp-friends

As is this thought:

Mediators are the most likely personality type to often feel overwhelmed by their to-do list.

Last edited:

Your Personality Type is: INFP​

Introverted iNtuitive Feeling Perceiving​

22.7% of the people who have voted on this Forum are this type.
According to a google search I just did linked to a website called truity.com, this type makes up 4% of the general population.

We are classed as "Idealists"/ "Mediators"

Possible Career Paths for the INFP:
Writers
Counselors / Social Workers
Teachers / Professors
Psychologists
Psychiatrists
Musicians
Clergy / Religious Workers

Although they may seem quiet or unassuming, Mediators (INFPs) have vibrant, passionate inner lives. Creative and imaginative, they happily lose themselves in daydreams, inventing all sorts of stories and conversations in their minds. These personalities are known for their sensitivity – Mediators can have profound emotional responses to music, art, nature, and the people around them.

Idealistic and empathetic, Mediators long for deep, soulful relationships, and they feel called to help others. But because this personality type makes up such a small portion of the population, Mediators may sometimes feel lonely or invisible, adrift in a world that doesn’t seem to appreciate the traits that make them unique.

This link about friendships is very accurate for me:

https://www.16personalities.com/infp-friends

As is this thought:

Mediators are the most likely personality type to often feel overwhelmed by their to-do list.

Interesting observation about the 22%! Really fascinating. I did a quick summing up of the voters, and slightly more of them were introverts and not extroverts. Or perhaps only introverts voted on this anonymous discussion board because the extroverts were all out having face to face fun. Or something.

I wish more members would post their types. Perhaps the percentages would change and track more with the general population of MBTI test takers.

I can't remember what my type was when I did one of these tests previously but this is what my type is this time round.

Your Personality Type is: ISTJ
Introverted Sensing Thinking Judging

It all seemed a bit wishy washy and random. Answers to allot of the questions would be dependent on mood or circumstance. I don't think personalities can be dissected that easily.

Of course any test can be swayed by the mood of the person taking it, and their interpretation of the questions.

I was told years ago that the Myer Briggs test is to determine your personality and work style in the work place, not in life in general.

The test took above was expanded to life general.

But having read the results for me, it is very accurate.

Back