• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Do Forteans Share A Myers-Briggs 'Type'?

Which Is Your Myers-Briggs Category (As Actually Tested)?

• ISTJ

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • ISFJ

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • INFJ

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • INTJ

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • ISTP

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • ISFP

• INFP

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • INTP

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • ESTP

• ESFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENFP

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • ENTP

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • ESTJ

• ESFJ

• ENFJ

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • ENTJ

• Total voters
Welcome to an exclusive club! And would you describe yourself as being broadly extroverted?

I'm not shy generally, and I find that being around people can be beneficial to my state of mind, when feeling low (depending on the people!). I'm very interested in people's 'stories' and mostly enjoy conversations that aren't banal.

Thought I’d bring this old poll back up because I’ve kinda been on a Jung/Cognitive Traits rabbithole dive the last week or so. Now I’ve kinda got a better perspective on the Myers Briggs and Jungian theory in general, rather than just the experience of taking the MB and reading the results much like a horoscope.
All Jungian analysts and theorists pretty much agree that the MB test has its flaws but can be useful as a starting point to a deeper analysis. They are pretty much in agreement that you can’t really type somebody with one test, because it’s a blunt instrument and is easily “gamed” if someone is so inclined. Some people do this instinctively and some on purpose. So some people get a different result every time and some people (like me) tend to get consistent results. Either way its not reliable in and of itself without considerable follow up analysis and study. No self respecting analyst is gonna just rely on a single kind of test to diagnose your primary cognitive functions, which is what the MB attempts to do. Most frown on it’s use for decision making in a corporate setting that might determine someone’s career. Altho there are opportunists in every field who market their "expertise" to the highest bidder, be they corporations or everyday internet suckers, for cash.
What the test is trying to measure is your dominate cognitive functions. According to Jung these are the cognitive functions that people tend to use. They come in pairs of opposites.
Introversion vs extroversion. Jung defines this as do you “recharge your batteries” by being around a lot of people and activity, or by quiet time alone.
Feeling vs thinking-for example, is this action right or wrong because my feelings/internal moral compass tells me so or because it’s correct or incorrect because Logic.
sensing vs intuition-for example do I know this from direct experience in the world(sensing) , or because I suspect it intuitively even tho I have no direct material experience.
Judging vs Perceiving. This one is harder to explain but I see it as do you tend to take in your environment primarily to make a decision of some kind(Judging) or do you tend to sit back and be content to soak in everything without an immediate, or perhaps never, value judgement(perceiving).

Of course everybody does all these things, it’s a matter of degree and which ones dominate.

Each of the functions can be performed in an introverted or extroverted manner. So really each person has a total of 8 cognitive functions. But people usually rely on only 4 habitually for the most part. The other 4, which are the opposite of the 4 primary functions are typically relegated to the subconscious Or the unconscious mind.Jung calls them our shadow functions because when we use them they tend to come out in a bad way because we havnt integrated them fully into our conscious mind. Basically the goal of Jungian analysis is to assist the person in developing and fully integrating all the functions into the conscious mind in a healthy way. Jung calls this process “individuation”.

Freud and Jung divided the mind into four corners or parts. These are not actual physical parts but simply a mental construct to assist in explaining how the brain actually functions in the world. Tho neuroscience has made some progress since that time in deteterming just where a lot of this stuff happens in the brain and nervous system but they have a long way to go in completely mapping this stuff out physically.
The Ego. Your normal everyday getting thru the world state of mind. Where you construct how your view yourself and operate in a normal everyday kind of fashion.
The Subconscious. Sits below the Ego and you are from time to time vaguely aware of it, tho not consistently.
The Unconscious. Where your mind is when you dream. Its working way down there somewhere but your Ego has no idea what's going on.
The Super Ego. Your ego on steroids. When you enter this state of mind it can be good, if the well developed functions are operating there. Or bad, if your not so well developed functions slip in there, then you are the worlds biggest asshole. All the 8 functions can occupy and operate in any of the four corners of the mind at any time.

Jung split from Freud over Jungs idea of the Collective Unconscious. Basically the archetypes of the unconscious mind that have been inherited by every human thru millions of years of evolution. The archetypes dont change over time to any degree, they are just an inherited mental "hatrack" which the mind hangs its "stuff" on. They cant be seen or imagined other than as an image or a form of some kind. And the forms/images they take on are as varied as there are people and cultures over the centuries. The Collective Unconscious resides either in every individual human unconscious, or out there in the "ether" somewhere, or both depending on how you want to look at it and how "spiritually" minded you are. It can also be described as the current "zeitgeist" of the age, a term which I think Nietzsche coined. From what I can gather Freud didn't buy it and considered its too speculative. Seems Freud was convinced everything came down pretty reductively to the instinctive sexual urge, its repression due to nature and nurture, etc. Anyway they were big buds but this idea caused a major rift between them and Jung left Freuds collaborative and went out on his own. Kinda went a little insane kinda sorta on purpose in a controlled fashion to meet the Archetypes of his unconscious, document the process, and produce the infamous Red Book.

So the MB attempts to diagnose your 4 main cognitive functions. Each of the 16 MB types can be broken down into an 8 function stack. The 1st 4 are the ones you typically rely on within you normal everyday conscious mind, or your Ego. The remains 4 are generally relegated to the subconscious or unconscious mind and you are not very good at using them and they usually come out of nowhere in a negative way for the most part.

so for my MB type INTP( if it can be believed, because I have not had Jungian therapy)
I am an introverted intuitive thinking perceiver, and these are my 4 main cognitive functions, along with my full 8 function cognitive "stack".
(Functions can be described as archetypes, or more precisely archetypical forms or images. The Primary function is often called the Hero function Cause it’s the main relied upon function that gets you through life.)
1. Primary function Ti- introverted thinker. My primary mental process is to construct an internally consistant logical structure to the world. It has to make sense to me logically but my logic is my own internally constructed mental framework. This is preferred over Te, or logic derived from an external source.
2. Secondary function Ne-extroverted intuition. This is my 2nd used function which assists the primary function. My intuition come from many broad and diverse pieces put together from the external world, not an introverted internal process. My intuition leads me down many diverse paths, whether they relate to each other in any obvious way or not. This compliments and guides my internal mental thinking map Ti. This is often referred to as the Parent function.
3. Tertiary function-Si- introverted sensing. Kinda how you organize the world and your surroundings. Is your tendency to organize externally projected out into the world or more dependent on past memory and comfort//discomfort. The Tertiary function is often called the Child. This is you 2nd worst, or 2nd less utilized main cognitive function.
4. Inferior function-Extroverted feeling-Fe. My feelings come more from what the tribe expects (extroverted) vs an interior feeing of what is correct. This is the main function people are worst at and can become obsessive or problematic. It’s the function you need to fully intergrate by becoming aware of it and using it beneficially. Jung calls this function the Anima(in males) and is a female archetype usually, and in women the Animus, a male figure. Of course in his day our understanding of sex, gender, and identity wasn't nearly as nuanced or developed. Nowadays most Jungians would say theres both an Anima and Animus lurking in everybody to some degree or another. This function is also called the gateway to the unconscious because its sits there right on the threshold between the Ego and the subconscious and unconscious mind and moves readily back and forth between them all the time.

My other 4 functions are generally relegated to the subconcious or unconscious mind and are the mirror opposite of the primary functions. When they are used they typically come out in negative ways.
5. Te-extroverted thinking - I forget the typical archetype associated with functions 5-6
6. Ni-introverted intuition
7. Se-extroverted sensing-The Trickster. This is the function you use to “get over “ on a situation, thru humor or a negative method or prank of some kind. Often called the Rebel.
8. Fi-introverted feeling.this is the Demon function and usually appears in a super negative way. If my Fi comes out it means my internal feelings have taken over in a very negative way and you are probably in danger if you are the target. Although the goal if fully individualized person it could actually transform into a more Angelic archetype, although usually just not as darn negative and destructive.

Jung was big on dreams as the archetypes of the unconscious mind speaking to us. He used patients dream journals over a long period of time to help figure out and assist the patient to fully integrate the unconscious into the conscious with the goal of becoming a more well rounded person, or “individuated” into a higher degree of self understanding and therefore ability to function in the world.

If you got this far in this screed, mainly written to clarify my own understanding, and you know more about this stuff than I do, feel free to chime in to correct or clarify.

Last edited:
Uhm, the younger generation--who will one day inherit the Earth--have started using the MBTI test for dating purposes.

It's as if Seoul is infatuated. Stroll through the South Korean capital and amid the sea of traditional Hangul characters it's hard not to notice the same four letters of the Latin alphabet cropping up again and again: MBTI.

Those four letters are emblazoned on ads, peppered into daily conversation, featured in computer games and even on Spotify playlists. Stop by a cafe and you may hear couples on their first date discussing them; visit a fortune-teller and they may be invoked as portents of your future; open a dating app and about a third of profiles will include them.

The MBTI is a personality test, known formally as the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, that divides people into 16 "types" -- each of which is assigned psychological traits and a four-letter code.

The test was created by two Americans who saw it as a way of matching women to jobs during World War II. It has drifted in and out of fashion ever since, gaining popularity in the 1990s as a career counseling tool in colleges and offices.

But its most recent surge in popularity is among hip young South Koreans, for whom knowing your MBTI type has become the latest craze -- particularly when it comes to dating.

Rather than waste time with more traditional ways of finding a partner, some diehard believers of this younger generation, mostly in their 20s and 30s, are using the MBTI to cut to the chase -- and rule out personalities deemed incompatible.

Full Article:
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/07/22/...t-dating-briggs-myers-intl-hnk-dst/index.html

And some companies are using it to filter employment applications--mostly by ruling out the most introverted!

Handy crib sheet from that link:

220708134017-20220708-myersbriggs-dating-super-169.jpg

Uhm, the younger generation--who will one day have inherit the Earth--have started using the MBTI for dating.

It's as if Seoul is infatuated. Stroll through the South Korean capital and amid the sea of traditional Hangul characters it's hard not to notice the same four letters of the Latin alphabet cropping up again and again: MBTI.
Those four letters are emblazoned on ads, peppered into daily conversation, featured in computer games and even on Spotify playlists. Stop by a cafe and you may hear couples on their first date discussing them; visit a fortune-teller and they may be invoked as portents of your future; open a dating app and about a third of profiles will include them.

The MBTI is a personality test, known formally as the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, that divides people into 16 "types" -- each of which is assigned psychological traits and a four-letter code.

The test was created by two Americans who saw it as a way of matching women to jobs during World War II. It has drifted in and out of fashion ever since, gaining popularity in the 1990s as a career counseling tool in colleges and offices.

But its most recent surge in popularity is among hip young South Koreans, for whom knowing your MBTI type has become the latest craze -- particularly when it comes to dating.

Rather than waste time with more traditional ways of finding a partner, some diehard believers of this younger generation, mostly in their 20s and 30s, are using the MBTI to cut to the chase -- and rule out personalities deemed incompatible.

Full Article:
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/07/22/...t-dating-briggs-myers-intl-hnk-dst/index.html

And some companies are using it to filter employment applications--mostly by ruling out the most introverted!

Handy crib sheet from that link:

View attachment 57426
This is a bad sign.
What will companies do when they find out that most of the ones they rejected have really high intelligence?

This is a bad sign.
What will companies do when they find out that most of the ones they rejected have really high intelligence?

You don't get a great position in South Korea with mere intelligence, Myth.

You have to graduate from the correct university--which admittedly correlates somewhat with intelligence--and have the family connections!

All the supersmart but non-connected are setting up their own businesses.

Broad strokes over a layer of truth.

It's certainly a bad sign.

I'm trying to recall which now, but there were basically three or four results that some Korean companies within very specific industries had listed as 'need not apply' in job advertisement, which is insane, if you ask me.

You don't get a great position in South Korea with mere intelligence, Myth.

You have to graduate from the correct university--which admittedly correlates somewhat with intelligence--and have the family connections!

All the supersmart but non-connected are setting up their own businesses.

Broad strokes over a layer of truth.

It's certainly a bad sign.

I'm trying to recall which now, but there were basically three or four results that some Korean companies within very specific industries had listed as 'need not apply' in job advertisement, which is insane, if you ask me.
It's a policy that they will regret. Some of what you said is true over here, too.
The smart ones will set up their own businesses and do very well for themselves, I think.

You have to graduate from the correct university--which admittedly correlates somewhat with intelligence...
Not always. I can think of a few examples, but I won't mention them here. I've met a few 'smart on paper, stupid in person' people who went to Cambridge uni, for example.

It's a policy that they will regret. Some of what you said is true over here, too.
The smart ones will set up their own businesses and do very well for themselves, I think

It's a source of mystery to me why folk buy into it, especially considering ten critical minutes with a well know search engine will show it's appalling garbage. I suspect it keeps traction because there are no 'winners or losers' so there's no chance a 'manager' can score 'less than his minions'. Everyone gets a bit of extra attention, the MBTI people count the money. Good business model, zero utility otherwise. :points:

*snorts derisively*

Apparently I'm an INFJ, the so-called 'rarest' type...
I've checked and this means that you're good at connecting with people. You have lots of useful contacts who hold influential positions. But, you're not someone who exploits these relationships by asking for frivolous favours. You're more likely to work things out for yourself than request help. If you've become aware of an issue that someone needs to know about and they seem unaware of the impact it could have on their world, you should share your insights. They'll be grateful for your support.

I'm INTJ. Oh, and a Cancer and according to the Chinese a Snake born in the hour of the snake in the year of the snake. I give them all about the same importance. (i.e. very little)

I have a feling that if you gave someone the profile for another Myers-Brigs type other than the one they scored they'd probably buy into most of it. But when I said that at the seminar I was sent on I was told that "That's the sort of reaction I'd expect from an INTJ."

You can't win. :roll: Although I was pleased to be told that "typical INTJs" Are Gandalf, Hannibal and Monty Burns - even if two of them are fictional.

I'm INTJ. Oh, and a Cancer and according to the Chinese a Snake born in the hour of the snake in the year of the snake. I give them all about the same importance. (i.e. very little)

I have a feling that if you gave someone the profile for another Myers-Brigs type other than the one they scored they'd probably buy into most of it. But when I said that at the seminar I was sent on I was told that "That's the sort of reaction I'd expect from an INTJ."

You can't win. :roll: Although I was pleased to be told that "typical INTJs" Are Gandalf, Hannibal and Monty Burns - even if two of them are fictional.
I am an INTJ. All the best sort of people are :)

Over my working life, I was ordered by various employers and managers to go to various classes to learn Myers Briggs and other weird-ass personality typing. The usual spin was that this would help the attendees to communicate better with coworkers because we could better understand the other person.

hmm.. As I recall, no classes were ever given on how to deal with lying, manipulative organizational ladder climbers.

I am an INTJ. All the best sort of people are :)

Over my working life, I was ordered by various employers and managers to go to various classes to learn Myers Briggs and other weird-ass personality typing. The usual spin was that this would help the attendees to communicate better with coworkers because we could better understand the other person.

hmm.. As I recall, no classes were ever given on how to deal with lying, manipulative organizational ladder climbers.
I was sent on one course which involved some really trite, simplistic questionnaire designed to reveal one's management personality type.

It was so ridiculous that I got really pissed off and gave the person next to me a folded sheet of paper before we started. On it I wrote which type I was going to choose to be (IIRC it was something to do with colours and temperatures or some like crap) Red/cold (?) as in my opinion it was the one most likely to be hacked off with the whole thing and end up on the roof with a sniper rifle.

I duly came out as predicted and engineered and was told that I ought to take these things more seriously.

And spending my time filling out this garbage is serious is it?

Didn’t stop us being sent on the bloody things though. To be fair the Myers-Briggs is a bit more substantial.

I was sent on one course which involved some really trite, simplistic questionnaire designed to reveal one's management personality type.

It was so ridiculous that I got really pissed off and gave the person next to me a folded sheet of paper before we started. On it I wrote which type I was going to choose to be (IIRC it was something to do with colours and temperatures or some like crap) Red/cold (?) as in my opinion it was the one most likely to be hacked off with the whole thing and end up on the roof with a sniper rifle.

I duly came out as predicted and engineered and was told that I ought to take these things more seriously.

And spending my time filling out this garbage is serious is it?

Didn’t stop us being sent on the bloody things though. To be fair the Myers-Briggs is a bit more substantial.
I remember doing hat color testing.

To be fair the Myers-Briggs is a bit more substantial.
Nope, it's not. It has no underlying theory, has absolutely no predictive utility that can be verified, that is it has no validity.

The variability (test–retest variability) is so far outside the range required for valid psychometric testing that is simply doesn't qualify as a psychometric test.

The output statements are indistinguishable from Forer statements (or newspaper horoscopes).

Otherwise, it's worth the thousands of pounds gullible organisations spend on it... :)

Nope, it's not. It has no underlying theory, has absolutely no predictive utility that can be verified, that is it has no validity.

The variability (test–retest variability) is so far outside the range required for valid psychometric testing that is simply doesn't qualify as a psychometric test.

The output statements are indistinguishable from Forer statements (or newspaper horoscopes).

Otherwise, it's worth the thousands of pounds gullible organisations spend on it... :)
Well it asks more questions!!
But from what you say that just means that it wastes more of everyone's time.
It's worse than I thought.

Many personality tests just seem like more complex versions of those daft/basic quizzes you used to get in teenage magazines (well, girl ones anyway).

Typically a 2 tier flow chart such as, I don't know: 'How lazy are you?'
Q1) You always lie in after your alarm has gone off [YES] -->
Q2) Your family often call you lazy [YES] -->

Result: You are SUPER lazy!

Wow I didn't see that coming. :hahazebs:

ISTJ - supposedly 'Thorough, Organized, Practical', which I am, but many of those questions could go either way to be answered,
at least that's what I found. I had to stop and think of which was the actual feeling I had.
Interesting test though!

I haven't read this whole thread but I clicked on the initial link to take this test and they wanted nearly $50 for me to sign up:

Q1. Are you gullible? Answer: Yes/Yes (delete as appropriate)

Thought this would be a good place for this...from the always interesting (if distressingly often 'over my head') Astral Codex Ten.

Forer Statements As Updates And Affirmations​

https://astralcodexten.substack.com/p/forer-statements-as-updates-and-affirmations

The Forer Effect is a trick used by astrologers, psychics, and social psychologists. Given a list of statements like these:

1. You have a great need for other people to like and admire you.
  2. You have a tendency to be critical of yourself.
  3. You have a great deal of unused capacity which you have not turned to your advantage.
  4. While you have some personality weaknesses, you are generally able to compensate for them.
  5. Your sexual adjustment has presented problems for you.
  6. Disciplined and self-controlled outside, you tend to be worrisome and insecure inside.
  7. At times you have serious doubts as to whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing.
  8. You prefer a certain amount of change and variety and become dissatisfied when hemmed in by restrictions and limitations.
  9. You pride yourself as an independent thinker and do not accept others' statements without satisfactory proof.
  10. You have found it unwise to be too frank in revealing yourself to others.
  11. At times you are extroverted, affable, sociable, while at other times you are introverted, wary, reserved.
  12. Some of your aspirations tend to be pretty unrealistic.
  13. Security is one of your major goals in life.

Back