Do Ghosts Get Scared?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Is there any evidence, anecdotal, probably, that ghosts get scared? If they have any consciousness, it must be pretty frightening, depending on whether they know why they're hanging around on Earth. That might explain why they often vanish quickly after being spotted.

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Reaction score
Is there any evidence, anecdotal, probably, that ghosts get scared? If they have any consciousness, it must be pretty frightening, depending on whether they know why they're hanging around on Earth. That might explain why they often vanish quickly after being spotted.
There are those timeslip stories of people from the past being terrified of cars.

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Most ghost tales dont involve them hanging out at length, but there are some where a ghost moves away from the viewer extremely quickly, which I suppose could be interpreted as a sign of fear by the ghost.

Sabresonic

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
`My mams old street had stuff which I mentioned before( the reoccurring smoke mist in my bedroom) of what I saw and a neighbours Real like Viking dream but another as I mentioned it before said that when she saw some little bald man in old fashioned cotton suit 1930s for a brief second she said his reaction was he saw her and jumped in shock with a paper rolled up in his hand meaning some workman in the 1930s was working on the house where he sees this tall women with strange clothing.A bit like that excellent BBC show the Living and the Dead which sadly the stupid BBC never recommissioned :(

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
I think they may be scared of teenagers and dogs.
I keep telling people - manifestations are afraid of an absence of energy transfer, so if you want to spook a ghost then get a bucket of liquid helium (or liquid nitrogen if you're on a budget).

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
`My mams old street had stuff which I mentioned before( the reoccurring smoke mist in my bedroom) of what I saw and a neighbours Real like Viking dream but another as I mentioned it before said that when she saw some little bald man in old fashioned cotton suit 1930s for a brief second she said his reaction was he saw her and jumped in shock with a paper rolled up in his hand meaning some workman in the 1930s was working on the house where he sees this tall women with strange clothing.A bit like that excellent BBC show the Living and the Dead which sadly the stupid BBC never recommissioned :(
Excellent DVD

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
A bit like that excellent BBC show the Living and the Dead which sadly the stupid BBC never recommissioned
I LOVED that!

how could it be developed? for example are you thinking about the way American Horror Story is framed?

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
This reminded me of something I once posted on the Odd Experiences: As A Child Versus As An Adult thread (#6):

...When I was at university the room I occupied in a shared house was intermittently plagued by a knocking sound, just as if someone were gently tapping picture hooks into the other side of the party wall – which, at first, is what I thought it was, until it started moving around the room.

This went on the whole time I was there – not constantly, but regularly - and I never came up with a satisfactory explanation despite trying many for size: some kind of insect infestation; mice in the rubble fill; nutty neighbours who hung a lot of pictures, or just liked making tapping sounds at odd hours of the day and night; bored parrots (honestly, a mate of my dad inherited an insane parrot that used to hang upside down off the light fittings squawking abuse, tap his beak violently on the furniture to get attention, and occasionally hide behind things in order to ambush whoever came into the room next).

Anyway, none of the explanations I played with fitted the bill, and very soon I just stopped worrying about it. My housemates, after I'd introduced them excitedly to my tapper, were initially spooked but, like me, eventually just got used to it. (It didn't affect the rest of the house, but at least one of the girls I shared with told me that she used to hate walking past my room when she was alone in the place because she was convinced that on a couple of occasions the tapping started up in response to her presence.)

Once or twice I tried rapping back, following the sound as it appeared to move along the walls. I even had the odd drunken conversation with it - one-sided thankfully, I'm not sure I'd have been as sanguine about the affair if I'd actually got a response.

In fact when I think about it now I can’t help feeling I got rather attached to the oddness of it all. We had a party one night, during which about twenty people crammed into my bedroom in complete silence waiting for the tapping to start up - it actually did, and the resulting cheer appeared to instantly silence the noise, which left me considering the intriguing and oddly satisfying possibility that we may actually have managed to scare the shit out of a poltergeist...
I probably wasn't being entirely serious when I wrote that last sentence - but, when you actually think about it...who knows?

Sabresonic

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I LOVED that!

how could it be developed? for example are you thinking about the way American Horror Story is framed?
I don't know how it could of panned out but I'm sure it had a few series in it.
I haven't seen American Horror Story any good.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm hoping that the writer and director get other projects on the same theme :)

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score

XBergMann

Fear not, I mean no harm to your planet
Reaction score
I keep telling people - manifestations are afraid of an absence of energy transfer, so if you want to spook a ghost then get a bucket of liquid helium (or liquid nitrogen if you're on a budget).
If you choose to go with the helium, don't forget to hold the bucket upside down

pandacracker

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
she said his reaction was he saw her and jumped in shock
I've read about something like this before, maybe in the F.T.

My memory is hazy but it was a story about somebody encountering a human shaped, dark figure, somewhere in their house that reacted to the person as if shocked to see them and then vanished.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
In the film The Entity, the scientists trap the spectre by freezing it, but this bit was made up, it never happened in real life. Do people think it's real now?

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
In the film The Entity, the scientists trap the spectre by freezing it, but this bit was made up, it never happened in real life. Do people think it's real now?
Anything interacting with the real world, through sound, light, motion, touch etc are bound by the laws of physics. Unless ghosts are only in the imagination.

IbisNibs

Reaction score
Liquid helium is seventy degrees colder than liquid nitrogen.
Well, then THAT would freeze 'em too!

If I'd paused a moment, I would have realized that it's helium gas, not frozen helium, that makes a voice become high pitched and squeaky.
Not to mention that it's ill advised to breathe anything that's frozen.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Well, then THAT would freeze 'em too!

If I'd paused a moment, I would have realized that it's helium gas, not frozen helium, that makes a voice become high pitched and squeaky.
Not to mention that it's ill advised to breathe anything that's frozen.
Helium gas is dangerous to inhale. I saw the high-pitched voice trick demonstrated and then tried it with kids and balloons.
Could have killed someone. :eek:

michael59

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
In that movie, The Others they were all terrified when something happened because they didn't know they were dead.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Helium gas is dangerous to inhale. I saw the high-pitched voice trick demonstrated and then tried it with kids and balloons.
Could have killed someone. :eek:
I have tried it just once, to witness the pitch change myself. However, I don't recommend people trying it lots of times in a row, especially if they have a low level of oxygen in the blood. After breathing helium in, it's best to expel it from the lungs ASAP, otherwise it can cause fainting.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
I have tried it just once, to witness the pitch change myself. However, I don't recommend people trying it lots of times in a row, especially if they have a low level of oxygen in the blood. After breathing helium in, it's best to expel it from the lungs ASAP, otherwise it can cause fainting.
You’re stopping the exchange of gases in the lungs so this will reduce oxygen content if done over a prolonged period. Helium being lighter than air is relatively easy to get out of your lungs. Some of the other noble gases have the effect of making your voice go deeper and because they are heavier than air they are harder to get rid of from your lungs, a friend of mine was hospitalised whilst attempting this for a TV show.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Maybe a ghost would look shocked as the last thing it saw was the person or thing that killed them.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Maybe a ghost would look shocked as the last thing it saw was the person or thing that killed them.
Wouldn't that mean most ghosts would be seen keeling over or silently going "ARGH"? They're pretty matter of fact, from my impression, even unaware until the witnesses realise what they're looking at, then they're off.

IbisNibs

Reaction score
Wouldn't that mean most ghosts would be seen keeling over or silently going "ARGH"?
Maybe that's what all those moaning ghosts in castles are really doing: keeling over and saying "ARGH" as they did when run through with a sword. :fence: