• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Are Ghosts Scared, Too?

she said his reaction was he saw her and jumped in shock

I've read about something like this before, maybe in the F.T.

My memory is hazy but it was a story about somebody encountering a human shaped, dark figure, somewhere in their house that reacted to the person as if shocked to see them and then vanished.

In the film The Entity, the scientists trap the spectre by freezing it, but this bit was made up, it never happened in real life. Do people think it's real now?

In the film The Entity, the scientists trap the spectre by freezing it, but this bit was made up, it never happened in real life. Do people think it's real now?

Anything interacting with the real world, through sound, light, motion, touch etc are bound by the laws of physics. Unless ghosts are only in the imagination.

Like this?

frozen ghost.jpg

Or this?

frozen ghost hand.jpg

Liquid helium is seventy degrees colder than liquid nitrogen.
Well, then THAT would freeze 'em too!

If I'd paused a moment, I would have realized that it's helium gas, not frozen helium, that makes a voice become high pitched and squeaky.
Not to mention that it's ill advised to breathe anything that's frozen.

Well, then THAT would freeze 'em too!

If I'd paused a moment, I would have realized that it's helium gas, not frozen helium, that makes a voice become high pitched and squeaky.
Not to mention that it's ill advised to breathe anything that's frozen.
Helium gas is dangerous to inhale. I saw the high-pitched voice trick demonstrated and then tried it with kids and balloons.
Could have killed someone. :eek:

Helium gas is dangerous to inhale. I saw the high-pitched voice trick demonstrated and then tried it with kids and balloons.
Could have killed someone. :eek:
I have tried it just once, to witness the pitch change myself. However, I don't recommend people trying it lots of times in a row, especially if they have a low level of oxygen in the blood. After breathing helium in, it's best to expel it from the lungs ASAP, otherwise it can cause fainting.

I have tried it just once, to witness the pitch change myself. However, I don't recommend people trying it lots of times in a row, especially if they have a low level of oxygen in the blood. After breathing helium in, it's best to expel it from the lungs ASAP, otherwise it can cause fainting.
You’re stopping the exchange of gases in the lungs so this will reduce oxygen content if done over a prolonged period. Helium being lighter than air is relatively easy to get out of your lungs. Some of the other noble gases have the effect of making your voice go deeper and because they are heavier than air they are harder to get rid of from your lungs, a friend of mine was hospitalised whilst attempting this for a TV show.

Maybe a ghost would look shocked as the last thing it saw was the person or thing that killed them.

Wouldn't that mean most ghosts would be seen keeling over or silently going "ARGH"? They're pretty matter of fact, from my impression, even unaware until the witnesses realise what they're looking at, then they're off.

Wouldn't that mean most ghosts would be seen keeling over or silently going "ARGH"?
Maybe that's what all those moaning ghosts in castles are really doing: keeling over and saying "ARGH" as they did when run through with a sword. :fence:

If it was just about the moment of death then there should be a awful lot of haunted hospital beds,
I do think it's about a moment in time but what sets that moment in time is to me a mystery,
I personally think it's a time thing were we are being privileged to see a replay of that moment.

If it was just about the moment of death then there should be a lot of ghosts going “Ow, you utter b@$tard!” rather than merely having a good old moan!

Back