• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Do Lobsters Suffer When Boiled?

I’m going fishing on Monday at a small river in Rickmansworth,Hertfordshire. It is full of signal crayfish which is an invasive species and if one gets a hold of your bait you are required to kill it and leave on the river bank. I decided recently I’m going to take home the next batch I catch and eat them,shellfish being my favourite food.
I couldn’t bring myself to put a live creature in boiling water so I’m going to simply cut the head of with a very sharp knife. I’ll let you know what they taste like.

I’m going fishing on Monday at a small river in Rickmansworth,Hertfordshire. It is full of signal crayfish which is an invasive species and if one gets a hold of your bait you are required to kill it and leave on the river bank. I decided recently I’m going to take home the next batch I catch and eat them,shellfish being my favourite food.
I couldn’t bring myself to put a live creature in boiling water so I’m going to simply cut the head of with a very sharp knife. I’ll let you know what they taste like.
Ive eaten crayfish tails before, they are not a patch on king prawns, a bit muddy tasting imho.

Ive eaten crayfish tails before, they are not a patch on king prawns, a bit muddy tasting imho.
I’ve had crayfish but only from a supermarket. I’m hoping these will taste better. There’s some monsters in there, my friend accidentally caught one recently and it must have been eight inches long. You’re not actually allowed to take them away but if you have to kill them anyway I can’t see the point in not eating them.

You’re not actually allowed to take them away but if you have to kill them anyway I can’t see the point in not eating them.
I'm by no means an expert on British law, but from some quick research it looks like you're not supposed to take them home alive or catch them deliberately without a license, so it looks like you're safe from the fish police. Enjoy.

From CNN, the 125 F or around 57 C on the western beaches of Canada has cooked all sea life shellfish alive leaving a dead mess everywhere.

Estimated 1 billion sea creatures dead.

Another heat dome is building worse than the first in western North America.

Scientists in total shock are calling Canada”s western beaches as “ post apocalyptic “.

Last edited:
I'm by no means an expert on British law, but from some quick research it looks like you're not supposed to take them home alive or catch them deliberately without a license, so it looks like you're safe from the fish police. Enjoy.
Yes,you need a license for a trap. They always grab the bait when we are fishing there,they are a bloody nuisance. I always thought you couldn’t take them home dead or alive but I haven’t looked at the laws for a few years.

On behalf of America, I apologize for the signal crayfish. You have my permission to get revenge on the folks who gave us kudzu, tiger mosquitos, Africanized honeybees, Burmese pythons, and brown marmorated stink bugs. But not Italian wall lizards. I like them.

You don't like boiling lobsters but you are happy for people to kill thousands because their overlords want more power?
The boot would be on the other hand though if their overlords were a race of man-sized Lobsters.

Back